Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
Tire pressure Sensor Monitor system in new Ford Tr

Yesterday I had this bright idea to soften the ride on our new 2008 F-350 and I dropped the air pressure down in the rear tires. Well!!!. That certainly was a mistake. The information screen immediately started reading "Low Tire Pressure " and a picture of a low tire started flashing on the screen. Not wanting to ruin the perceived image of the male species I refused to consult the manual ( for all of 30 seconds ) and then got the manual out. What a surprise to discover that the truck is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that I did not know that came with the truck.

The question that now comes to mind is: Is this system able to monitor additional sensors that one might add to the 5er. How is our knowledge base out there on this one.

gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Gary, congrats on the new truck! It is always a pleasant surprise to find new gadgets on our trucks, I don't have any info on the upgrade, but if you check the tire stem, it should have a cap with a name or brand, then Google that. If it is like the other systems, I would think it could be expanded, but that depends on the readout's capabilities.
You could put one on a car's tire, move the car 30' or so away and see if it reads low.....You would know then if it would possibly work.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ahh, scratch that, the Ford sensors have straps around the rim, so This is a whole new ball game. There have been many complaints about false readings and glitches, so If it were me, I would not 'tinker' with the electronic system by adding sensors on the trailer wheels. That is, until you research it fully.
Go to Diesel Stop, or the Ford truck owners Forum, post your questions there, there are some Ford master mechanics on the Forum.
Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.
Ozz
Things you need to Know:::
Old 09-28-2007, 03:12 AM   #4
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
Yes, the monitors are on straps on the inside rim of each tire. The system also comes with a small electronic wireless device that is used to reset each , individual tire pressure limit should you rotate tires. On this truck the front tires are set at 60 psi and the rear at 80 psi. It rides pretty stiff with no weight in it.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
But you can reset the sensors once you reduce the pressure!!?? Sounds like the solution.

Anyone know if the new Ford system is made by or the same as the one marketed by SmarTyre?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
SmarTyre, Hella, KPressure Optic are some names to research.