Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Tire Suggestions Please

I bought a set of Goodyear Silent Armour about 29,000 miles ago. I am very disappointed with the tread wear, it is a 50,000 mile tire but at this wear rate I don't think so. Does the fact of heavy towing like we all do with the Montana's cause more tire wear than not towing?

Anyway what brand of tires can anyone recommend that see to give some longer wear.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
RKassl, I don't know much about the Goodyear Silent Armour, but have heard it's a pretty good tire.

Yes, towing a heavy trailer will cause accelerated tread wear, most noticeably on the rear. For this reason, it is extremely important to keep your tires rotated and balanced. I suggest getting this done every 6000 miles if possible.

As a tire dealer, I get to see alot of tires from all manufacturers. The Michelin LTX MS, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA, and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT, seem to last longer than most of the others, but even they will expire prematurely without proper rotation and maintenance.

I'm sure others will be along with suggestions also.

Hope this has helped some.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I spent some time at the service center the past two weeks, had great experiences at the service center and the rally in Goshen, In.
One issue I discussed at the service center was the irregular tire wear on my '05 Montana. They checked the axles to make sure the mounting of the axles wear in line, they assured me they were; I took the unit to Bud's Body Shop for (recommended by the service center) to have the axles checked for proper camber alignment and any other problems, they assured me all was in proper alignment. The problem pointed at the tires. They suggested a "G" range tire, the alloy rims on this rig will not support a "G" grade, too much tire pressure.

I have Tacoma tires that are wearing on the inside edge more than anywhere else, not even wear, cupping. I was given names and put in touch with Treadway Tires and Cooper Tires, they admitted that they had problems with the tires, but no warranty past 1/32" of wear. In other words, no warranty.

I also am interested in replacing these tires, very soon. I am not interested in replacing with Misson Tires due to problems had with this tire.
I had a 2000 Montana that pulled everywhere for 5 years, tire wear was even, I can't remember what kind was on that unit. I would buy them if anybody knows what they put on the early units.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
RKassl, I put a set of Bridgestone REVO's on my truck and did not get around to rotating and balancing them for 12K miles. This is what I found. The front tires had a tread depth of 13 which was hardly any wear. However the back two had a tread depth of 9.
As you can see the back two have about 1/3 of the tread worn off. I have 5k pulling the Montana and about 3K pulling other heavy trailers.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I now have 60,000 miles on one pair of Michelin LTX M&S and 50,000 miles of the other set. I rotate every 5,000 miles +-. I will replace one set this winter.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
LonnieB, I've alsways been told when a back set of tires wore differently than the front the trailer was not see level for towing. When towing in this fashion the results will be adverse tire wear. This is very common on horse trailers when people are short hauling. The damage doesn't show for a while. Please understand that my comments are not directed at anyone. I'm just wanting clarification on my limited knowledge. LnnieB being in the tire business can pass on his knowledge. There can always be other reasons for tire wear.
thanks,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I recently let go of my Michelin XCLT4 load E range after 75,000 miles. Rode well, but finally was giving up traction. I went with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in the 265/75/16 Load E range. When I was setting up the deal, after the installer asked me about my vehicle, he asked me did I haul alot or carry a heavy trailer. I said yes. I suggested the same tire, but in the Pro Grade. According to the Goodyear site, this increases the sidewall stability and has something added to the tread blocks and tread to give better wear.
I only have two weeks on them, but they grip the road so well, when I hit the brakes, it sounds like there are suction cups on them, gripping the road.
Tirerack.com had them rated #3 for all areas, including rain and snow traction against all other tires they carry.
Time will tell on wear. Michelins worked out well for me during the first 75,000, and just like Bill and Ann, I rotate every 7500 miles on any tire I have on.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Michelin LTX MS

Can't say enough about them. They are great. Bring your savings account, though...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
RKassl,

I just had the Wrangler Pro Grade Silent Armor installed on my truck last week. Goodyear claims this tire is made for heavy duty towing and hauling. Are the tires you have the "pro grade" wranglers or the standard wranglers? On the Toyo's I just replaced, I was able to get 50,000 miles out of them. Those were rotated every 3,000 miles and ran at 55 psi empty all the way around and 80 psi towing all the way around. On these new Pro Grades, I am going to keep the front at 55 psi and only inflate the rear to 80 when towing. Rotation will stay at every 3,000 miles. I hope I did not make a bad choice by going with the Wrangler Pro grades. I want to see at least 50,000 miles out of these tires...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Michelin LTX MS

Can't say enough about them. They are great. Bring your savings account, though...
Ordered mine from Sam's Club.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thanks for the info. I did not have the Pro Grade Version of the Silent Armour Tires. Knowing this and what you folks have told me about aggressive tire rotation I will probably try the new Pro-Grade in the Spring and rotate more often.

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:04 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, we've done a lot of towing over the past 4 1/2 years. The last time I wore out a set of tires was on our 2005 Ford. I swapped out the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires at 70,000 miles. They had maybe 5,000 to 7,000 more tread life but it was the first of December (2006) in Kansas City and I wanted more tread for the coming ice and snow so went ahead and replaced the tires. I had rotated them just once, at 33,000 miles (I know, I know, that's not a good thing to neglect).

This Dodge came from the factory with the identical tires to the Ford and at 13,600 miles they're looking like they are going to do very well, as well.

I think proper tire pressure is more important than how much towing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote