Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Am I stupid ?

Am I stupid, naive, paranoid all three or what? I try to be an upstanding responsible driver especially when towing the Montana. Before every trip I consult the Woodall's web site under "rules of the road". This topic gives some much needed information about the states I will be driving in such as speed limits overnighting in rest areas etc. I just noticed that 46 out of 50 states require safety chains on ALL trailers, they make no mention of 5th wheels. The only states that that do not require safety chains on 5th wheels are Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. So thinking that this may just be an over site I called The New York state dot last Friday (which is the state I will be driving through on I90), just to find out and sure enough the person I talked to said that there is no exemption stated for safety chain use on 5th wheel trailers the rules state all trailers. So my question is what do I do now? Do I keep calling the dot until I get the answer I want or can you and do I install safety chains?

gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Very interesting. We live in NY and have never had chains on our 5th wheels. Wonder if we are breaking a law? Never been told by "anyone" we needed to.
Hope you get some clear answers. We would like to know too.

Oh, where would you hook it?
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Very interesting...never heard of safety chains on a 5th wheel...Travel trailers yes..how would we do that on a 5th wheel????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My opinion and mine only. Think about this, I'm also a X-Truck driver and still am Lic to drive (Class A CDL) I have pull thru most all States and don't have safety chains. And have never seen a Class 8 Truck with a safety chain attached to the trailer except when pulling doubles or triples. I wouldn't worry about it, you will find most DOT types don't really understand the requirement. The book probably says safety chains are required to pull a trailer off the draw bar, bumper type hitchs class 3,4, or 5. But I don't believe the requirement mean 5th wheel type trailer. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
That law in most states, was probably written years ago, before most lawmakers even knew what a 5th wheel RV was... Our legislature tends to pass law's like that in general and never return years later to revise them to modern time's. We still have speed limits in some small city's that are no faster than a """HORSE CAN TROT"""".. If somewhere along the line the legislatures were required to remove 10 old laws before they passed one (1) new one, you would see these older requirements fade away. I really woudn't worry about it... Might be a loop hole for insurance company not to pay a claim through....
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The only safety chain requirement that I am aware of are for goose neck hitches.
All trailers that are attached to a ball are required to have safety chains.
A goose neck is a ball type hitch.

I lived 10 years in NY state and drug boat trailers with safety chains all over the state including the the Thruway which is I 90. I have also dragged the Monty all over NY and never had any type of inspection when entering a toll booth. However, I was inspected many times with the boat trailer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I too have never seen safety chains on a 5th wheel trailer, I've seen them on goose neck trailers and draw bar hitch trailers. Before I retired I was a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for some 52 years and was a auto technician/shop service manager, I also was a licensed auto/truck safety inspector for 35 years. We had a manual that had all the rules and regulations for doing a "proper" vehicle safety inspection. We were always taught and rammed down our throats that the laws were black and white, never to read between the lines and if it didn't say so in the inspection manual it wasn't so, guess that's why I'm so paranoid. Don't want to break any laws.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting. 5th wheel hitches have been around since before World War I, yet I can't remember ever seeing a safety chain or provisions for one. Do truckers have them?

Curious how this thread un-winds.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Most states have exclusions for semi-trailers with 5th wheel type hitches. Therefore, I now officially classify my TV and Montana as a semi-trailer!!!!!! I would think that this exclusion would be interpreted the same way by DOT's across the nation, but who knows????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Does the "Law" specify the gauge of the "chain"? If not this is a very simple fix.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Didn't think to ask the NY dot rep quarrles, but on the Woodalls site under rules of the road some states do specify.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I was a DMV comercial drive tester in CA for the fire department, for about 15 years, this is what I gathered over the years
The reason you don't need a chain at least in CA, is the same reason passengers can ride in 5th wheels. When the trailer is attached by use of a 5th wheel it is considered part of the tow vehicle. That is the reason a gooseneck trailer needs a chain, it sits on a ball, not nearly as secure.

Just my take, I'm sure no chain is needed.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #13
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Sometimes rules are one size fits all. (Still illegal to own wire cutters in the Lone Star State, go figure.) Never been contested about chains for pin hitches or ball hitches. Issue could arrise from accident, although wrecked out 40 ft 5th wheel last year, large police and TXDOT investigation, no mention of safety chains.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Mark & Karen,
Love your picture!
And your Monty!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I was told that is what the brake away cable that locks up the brakes was for?? never heard of chains..

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Most heavy trailers are required to have brakes and they are also required to have a brake away cable that will operate the brakes when it comes loose from the TV. This goes for both 5th wheels and TT's, with electrical or surge brakes. It is not in place of chain on TT's or goosenecks.

Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
I have never seen ANY fw with these safety chains installed. Would be interesting to know if any of the manufacturers have either. My bet is NO.
Sounds as if someone unfamiliar with these rigs wrote that one. As in "one size fits all" logic. Guess they'll just have to come and cuff me.

best..Q
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I would think that if were law the dealers that would install chains when they install the hitch are the manufactors would have them on when they are in transit.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I worked for UPS for over 25 yrs and spent 20 years of those driving their tractor trailers. We only had safety chains on our dollies that we used to pull two trailers at once with. This is just my reason for why chains are needed on TT and Goosenecks. These type of vehicles do not have landing legs on them. The chains are supposed to be crossed under the tongue of the trailer. In that way, when a trailer comes loose, the tongue will land in the crossed chains and not dig into the road and make the trailer flip. On a Fifth Wheel, you have landing legs with skid pads on them. If the trailer comes loose from its hitch, the brakes are applied and the trailer will slide down the highway on its pads. I have seen this happen and they work great. And no, it wasn't my trailer that I lost. Don't know if this makes it legal or not but that is why I don't think you have to have safety chains on your Fifth Wheel trailers. Always check your couplings anyway!!!
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 AM   #20
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I want to thank everyone for their input. Laurie and I will be leaving Tuesday the 25th for or adventure to New England for what I hope to be some excellent leaf peeping, and I am not going to worry about the safety chain thing. I've been towing a 5er 6 years and have never heard of such a thing and have never (Thank God) had any problems, I just wanted to pass along some information that I found. A special thanks to the Hansons for their information on New England. I will keep you all posted on our adventure