Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Torque?

We know we need to check/adjust the torque on our Big Sky wheels, but do we need to check the truck wheels/tires? If so, what is the correct pounds (if that's the correct term ) for the truck tires/wheels? We have searched through our Ford Manual and can't find anything regarding this subject--torque (only the psi for the air pressure and other general tire information). Also, I know there was a topic about this, but Mr. Search isn't being kind today, how often do you check your wheels while traveling? We're getting ready to take our first big/long trip and want to be as safe as possible. Thanks. Verle and Sue C

Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Verle and Sue, I check my trailer torque before I move everytime I leave a CG. I air my truck tires up when pulling and air down when in the CG, If I am going to be there awhile. I have never torqued the wheels on my truck. I suppose there is a number, but don't know where to get it.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lug nut torque value should be in your Ford owners manual in the roadside emergencies section. I dunno what truck you have, but 2000 F-350 with the 2 piece lugs are 148 lb/ft. You can also go online to Autozone ... enter your vehicle information ... select specifications, then click on lug nut torque
As for your fiver I found this on the web http://www.keystonerv.com/media/pdf/Lug_Nut_Torque.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Thanks, Phil and Dieselguy. In our 2008 F 350 manual, it isn't under the wheel or tire info or under the specifications, it is there, though. . . under "Roadside Emergencies" of all places. But we did finally find it after you mentioned the specs. Just for anyone elses information, the manual says to check it at 100 and 500 miles anytime they have been changed. Thank you so much. Verle and Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks, I edited my earlier response ... after I got home I looked in the owners manual, but you beat me to the edit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote