Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Retirement, how hard was it?

A man’s identity is what he does to make that weekly income, your whole life revolves around your work, your trade.
You work every day of the week, in the case of a business owner, operator. I think it was especially hard for me, as my wife and I worked closely with our business, bidding, ordering, scheduling the jobs, then billing on Sunday, getting ready for Monday morning.
When we sold our small heating cooling, refrigeration and electrical business, I was a lost puppy. Suddenly I had no routine, most of our friends were the customers we saw and worked with daily and weekly. I tried to keep busy around the house, doing the tasks I had put off because I had no time, now all I had was time.
I came to be very depressed, I was just a retired guy, bored, a little lonesome. It was a very difficult time in my life, the adjustment took time and patience to get through.
I worked on an old truck I bought from a friend, we traded that for an old 22 foot travel trailer. I put all my energy into rebuilding it, rewiring, remodeling, new tires, it was fun.
We took a few short trips and loved it. I sold the little trailer and we bought a 30’ Keystone Sprinter, a trip around the great state of Texas, the gulf states, we knew that a life change was in the offing. I needed a bigger bed, so we ended up with our Montana. No more trades necessary, we are happy with it, and our new life.
Now our friends revolve around traveling and the Rv lifestyle.
Good friends. Lifetime friends.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, I worked 38 years in the aircraft industry for a big manufacturer. I really have to say it was NOT hard to walk away from that! And that was 3 years ago last April.
However, you must understand that my wife of 37 years and I have been camping from the start. We hardly ever associated with the people I worked with and our friend circle was mostly made up of the people we met while campimg. And even more now since we are members of such a great club like the MOC!
There are a lot of people out there just waiting to meet up with ussens and youins! Weins can't wait to see youins again!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Not at all hard. In fact, it is getting harder and harder to remember that I ever used to go to work everyday. My retirement date worked out to be a Sunday in December. I worked my last day on the Friday, We left home in Ontario on the Saturday moring and were in Gulf Shores, AL by the Monday, my first official day retirement, we were camped in the warm southern climate and never really looked back. We had had several trailers before retirement and had bought our first Montana for our retirement, so we knew beforehand what we were going to do when retirement time arrived.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ozz,

What you have described is so typical of folks who are retiring. As a professional counselor, I offered a retirement planning seminar. This was not financial planning, but life management planning or effective transitioning to a new phase of life. Developing new purpose and goals for yourself is essential to successful retirement whether it is done formally or informally. Congratulations on making the transition.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My experience was similar to John's. I walked away from work (OB nurse) and never looked back. Now I wonder how I ever did all the things we did in the hospital. Once Glen retired, we left for a trip to Savannah, GA the next morning. Now the wanderlust is a terrible, serious addiction. We were at the stick house for two weeks, left yesterday, and were like two little kids at Christmas. We're in bad shape, I know, but moving on down the road, looking forward to seeing family members living all over the Midwest, is just too much fun! If you can't live next to family, ya gotta travel to them, and enjoy all the sights in between. RVing makes the retired life so much more fun! No withdrawal for me. Glad you made the transition well, Ozz.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Retirement is kinda like jumping into the deep end of the pool, you don't know quite what to expect. I was ready to take the plunge, though. Since my first job at 14, I have looked forward to retirement. ( I should probably point out that I'm not a type A personality) I had a wonderful career, but I'm having a wonderful retirement, too. It can be a hard decision for some, not so hard for others. Glad you adjusted well.

See ya down the road,
Gene
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Not hard at all. Did it five times!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I can sure see that playing out Ozz. I have a few years to go, but I am going through the same thing for long term friends. Many acquire friends through work associations, and being in the line of work I am, things are constantly changing. Life is so demanding for so many of us, holding onto those long term friendships outside of work is increasingly difficult.

As much as I am longing for the day to retirement, it scares the you know what out of me. You are fortunate to have achieved financial independence (I'm sure you busted your butt for it and have made wise financial decisions).
I would love nothing more than to travel with our MOC friends...seeing you guys hitting the road all the time is surely making me jealous, but we'll have to settle for the occasional get together for a while yet.
I would be honored to call you and Sue friends.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have been a workaholic all my life. Working long hours at a very stressful job. Even when we had our own business I had a hard time telling clients no. I always thought I would continue to consult part time after retirement. I have been begged several times in the last 2 years to help out a school district. I would think about it a couple of minutes and say no real easily. Getting up every morning, getting dressed up and going in to deal with problems just doesn't interest me. I have totally surprised myself and my family. The heart attack last year helped me to put a different perspective in life. The MOC has helped to fill in that void of comradity I had at work. The friends here are far better than fellow workers. The adventures in RVing are far better than solving the work related problems. Got to go pack another box!
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ozz, you voiced some of my thoughts (dreads, fears). I also am into semi retirement and, after owning our business for so long, know the feelings you described. I went to the John Wayne School of being a Man and worked so hard for so long to get the self discipline that owning ones own business needs to prosper. I always felt that I was defined by what I did for a living, both as a police officer for a thousand years and a business owner for a few centuries. When I was reaching 65 and being told that I could retire "any time you want," I went into a real downer for a long time. I wasn't old enough to retire. Many times people that didn't have their businesses would say how "lucky" we were to "not have a boss, be able to go anywhere at any time, take off whenever we wanted, purchase something and just 'write it off.'" They did not know that every client was our boss or we didn't keep a client, one has to earn well in order to write something off, no such thing as taking weekends off or personal, sick or vacation days. Never telling a client "no" because of fear of not being called again, etc. We had a 30' travel trailer, followed by a 33' motor home followed by our first Montana and hardly ever used them because the business came first. Our financial planner advised us that we should not look at retirement as such and just view it as a lifestyle change. That message is finally setting in. We started out this April traveling in a longtime mood and had to curtail it for a while. We will leave again soon and then, after Christmas, we are going to take two years to travel wherever we want and try to see all of the things that we missed for so long. Carol has been right there with me both while being a Police Chief and with the business. She was a very busy office manager for The Boylan Agency. Without her, the business would not have been near as successful as it was. When the kids grew and left home she started traveling and working with me full time. Now we are going to try the two year plan that we have seen discussed on this forum and then see what comes next. We have met so many great people from this forum at the rallys and look forward to meeting more as we travel. We are also looking forward to getting uut of the "vacation mode" of travel and into the fulltime living lifestyle as cited by Glenn, Steve R and many others. As this thread is showing, we are not the only people that have had these thoughts and fears. Thanks for bringing them out. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I spent 50 some odd years in the A/C, Htg and Ref field loved every minute-- well almost every minute-- was plenty ready to start a new life as a retired person. From the very start have been so busy dont know how I had time to go to work. Yaaa hooooo!!!!
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I didn't think I would ever want to retire. But since we bought this Montana, I can't wait. But it is going to be very hard to give up my surveying business. I love it but the thought of traveling in this Montana and seeing the Country, going to rallies, visiting our kids, having time for each other - sounds great. Maybe I will even do some fishing and more hunting.

And as noted above having all these clients as bosses does get to be a little much, especially when you work 60-70+ hours a week to get things done.

We are looking at 2009 when my Military retirement kicks in.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
My retirement date is July 2,2009.I`ll be 7 days shy of my 56 birthday.Will be 37 years working at the same company.And for me i`am looking so forward to that date.24 monthes to go and it seems like its taking forever.My plan is to sell the house and buy a RV site some where in sunny Florida.

My only concern is if I use a driver off the tee or a 3 wood(lol)I`am kind of lucky in as I`ll have a nice pension from the Teamsters union,and health care coverage threw them as well is really a blessing.

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Even with my trouble adjusting to retirement, our different lifestyle now is wonderful.
Just reading all my friends input in the above posts, shows why. Like I said, good friends, lifetime friends.
I was sitting in my chair here at the house making a list of things we need in Padre this fall; 3 1/2 month's away......
Can't wait.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Ozz

I have retired twice (once from the military) and can fully comprehend what you are saying. I thought I was ready to leave the military when I did, had another job lined up and tried to hit the road running. I said tried. It took about two years including what I now is probably depression to get myself back on track. Everyone had warned me about the difficulty transitioning but I said it wouldn't happen. It did. After going back to school and getting my CPA, I worked in public practice for about 13 years. After working 60 and 70 hour weeks, I was definitely more ready this time. A key difference was that we had made new friends outside of the profession with our camping and walking groups. The difference now is that I don't overextend myself with my volunteer work.

We are anxiously awaiting the day that my DW can also retire and then hit the road more frequently.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #16
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I worked 28 years as a Realtor and 10 as a builder. I decided to take a year off to travel and see how we liked doing that.
That was five years ago last month and I just can't find the time to go back to the job.
I still can't figure how I had time to work 7 days a week and 10+ hours.
Life is good so enjoy every minute.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Took an early retirement option last June (53 years old at the time), worked 35 years in the Automotive Industry, was a Skilled Trades Worker (Machine Repair, Machine Re-builder).
Best move I ever made, used to work 7 days a week, many of them 12 hour days, it was like having 1 1/2 to 2 jobs with all the hours I put in. Now I am able to take some extended RV trips without the deadlines of returning to work. Still have to hang around here for the winter (we got 140 inches of snow last winter, at least it didn't start snowing until the end of December), as my wife is unable to stop working as yet, and my son just finished his freshman year in college. Hope to make it to Florida, or Texas in the next few years for some warmth in the winter. Right now is the best time of the year, golfing 3 to 4 mornings a week (Monday through Friday), and RVing every other weekend until the snow flies, or the New York State Parks System closes for the year (they close the last week of October, and YES it can snow here by then).

Just relax, and enjoy your good fortune!!!

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I was 40+ years in aerospace -- survived downsizes, acquisitions, management changes and worked myself into a high profile mamnement job at a fortune 100 company, Then 3 days before Christmas when I was 55 years old I found myself fired -- first time ever. I couldn't face more corporate BS so jumped way too quick into a buisiness with an old friend. Cost me 250,000 in a little over 6 months. I broKe away and started a consulting business that had several good years before we started sliding into retirement at 63. During the difficult time I think I went 5 years without a complete night's sleep. I finally realized I wasn't the problem and it's been pleasant ever since. We are long timers doing mostly destination camping whiel maintaining a permenant base in Phoenix near the kids. Life is good. Comparing retirement to the other life, I can' figure out how I ever got anything done what with spending80 or more hours on the job every week. Looking back, I should have just retired at 55......
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like Ozz and others, I have had a bit of challenge in this new semi-retirement. I'm 45 in a few days and need to keep our business going, albeit on a slow basis, because I need the health insurance - heart attack and a stroke. But, like Ozz said, my identity was in much of what I "commanded" if that makes sense. But, like Parrothead said, new friends on the MOC are helping considerably.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good stories, good conversation between friends.