Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Southern NH to Charleston SC ovrnght suggestions!!

My wife and I are heading to the Charleston South Carolina area from the seacoast region of NH.

We have made a few long distance trips but this one is the farthest south. I have gone out to Iowa twice requiring overnight stops and I found places that I overnighted at, mostly campgrounds, that I will use again.

What I am looking for from you road savy Montana owners is your preferred overnight spots along I-81.

On both trips back from Iowa, I have used the Ohio has rest stops that have water and electric for RVs. These are perfect! Anything like that or easy off, easy on campgrounds are very much appreciated!!

I greatly appreciate any input!!

Eric

egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
silence
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by egregg57

My wife and I are heading to the Charleston South Carolina area from the seacoast region of NH.

We have made a few long distance trips but this one is the farthest south. I have gone out to Iowa twice requiring overnight stops and I found places that I overnighted at, mostly campgrounds, that I will use again.

What I am looking for from you road savy Montana owners is your preferred overnight spots along I-81.

On both trips back from Iowa, I have used the Ohio has rest stops that have water and electric for RVs. These are perfect! Anything like that or easy off, easy on campgrounds are very much appreciated!!

I greatly appreciate any input!!

Eric
When we travel south from Maine we have stopped at this KOA in Pa. It's very easy on and off. Just don't arrive after dark, there are quite a few trees and not much light. The sites were a decent size. They have a small store and restaurant so you can get something quick in the morning to take with you.

Jonestown/Hershey KOA
11 Lickdale Road
Jonestown, Pa. 17038

Look at their website, they mentioned that construction is going on around them for the next few weeks.

Are you staying on I-81 or will be cutting over to I-95 when you get to North Carolina?

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
When we traveled from SO NH to Myrtle beach a few years ago. It was the end of Sept to the beginning of October on the return trip. After Columbus day became an issue on the return. I used a combination of a smart phone and GPS stand alone unit.

When It became time to stop when we were at a fuel stop or rest area. It was time to plan out the rest of the leg for the evening over nighter.

At one point I actually pulled out the camping and RV directory and flipped pages. Only because it was quicker to visualize the easy on and off exits and close proximity for an overnighter.
I did not take 81 so I can not offer any direct advise.
It is just how I managed traveling I95. Nightmare through NY and not advisable.
Back when I was in the service. I traveled 95, 91, 84 through MA, Connecticut NY, NJ about every other month.. But I was not camping.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. There are tons of campgrounds along your route. Not like traveling the boonies out west.
Rely on your instincts of the area and a good campground book along with the electronic tools and you will have an awesome time.

Most of all have fun. Don't rush the trip. We spent more than one night in a couple of campgrounds just because we found something we wanted to do in that area. I took more than 2 weeks off of work and I made sure I was flexible enough to do some exploration while traveling.

Thats what it is all about. Sometimes you just have to wing it and slow down and see what is next around the bend of the road...

We decided around 2PM it was time to look for an overnighter if that is any help. So we were off the road by the 4 o'clock rush hour.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
How about Clator Lake State park. We are at exit 132 and it's about 30 minutes south of us. I've been in it never stayed myself but I have took my camper to the camp ground for friends to stay in. They enjoyed it and will go back. It's easy to get to. Just don't go when Virginia Tech is having a home game. It's a very nice through the woods 2 lane road to the CG and a nice on the water sites.
Lynwood
Their phone no is 540 643 2500 and it's it exit 101.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote