Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Campgrounds near Long Island, NY

This summer, as we work our way north towards upstate New York and the rest of New England, we have a need to visit relatives out on Long Island, and from experience just driving a car out there, don't think I want to even risk taking an almost 40 ft Montana. Any one have suggestions on where to stay that has a reasonable access to the island? We will be visiting people near Northport, NY.

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
HA! My husband was born & raised on Long Island and I lived there for 23 years. We moved away 12 years ago. I don't even want to drive my MINI Cooper back there. The traffic was terrible when we left and it's only gotten worse. Not only are the roads jammed, the drivers are aggressive & impatient.

We actually moved from Huntington and my husband is from Northport. Any campground you stay in off the island will entail a long commute in. Plan on a minimum of an hour once you get to manhattan. Good luck! Once you get there, Northport is a cute town with little shops and restaurants by the harbor.

I've never stayed there, but I hear good things about Croton Point Park: http://parks.westchestergov.com/croton-point-park
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You might find a place in Connecticut and take the ferry to Long Island. I agree, my family lives on Long Island and I grew up there. Just driving the car there is an adventure and the roads will beat the bejeezus out of the trailer.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
The closest would be Battlerow CG which is operated by Nassau County. Not far off the 495. There are others operated by Suffolk County but further east of Northport. Long Island has taken a beating here in the forum, someis deserved but on the whole it's not that bad. We are on the very east end and have taken the Monty through the island many times, worst part is off island in the Bronx on the Cross Bronx Expressway by the GW bridge.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tfthorp

The closest would be Battlerow CG which is operated by Nassau County. Not far off the 495. There are others operated by Suffolk County but further east of Northport. Long Island has taken a beating here in the forum, someis deserved but on the whole it's not that bad. We are on the very east end and have taken the Monty through the island many times, worst part is off island in the Bronx on the Cross Bronx Expressway by the GW bridge.
We also stay at the Battle Row Campground in Old Bethpage when visiting family on Long Island. It only has water and electric but has a dump station. It is convenient for us as family lives in Mineola.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I'm from Long Island as well, I would like to see my family too, but I don't think I want to take the Monty through there. It's like a sardine can! If I did go it would have to be at 2am in the morning!
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Thanks all for the suggestions. I was born in Queens Village and have been back there many times. The last time about two years ago. Yes, if we do go to Battlerow CG, it will be in the wee hours, and even then it can be scary. One thing, these kind of adventures are fodder for story telling around the campfire
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote