Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Receiver hitch on new 2009 model

I bought a 2009 model so I could have a receiver hitch on the end. I wanted to put a basket with a generator to dry camp. Now that I got it i'm not sure it will hold it. The basket and generator is less than 200 pounds and the receiver says not to exceed 250 pounds. When I put it on the camper it has too much movement (bounce) up and down. I'm afraid it will twist the metal and drop the generator going down the highway. Has anybody tried to add extra support to the receiver?

jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you want to make the basket a permanent addition, why not weld a couple of braces, at an angle from the basket to hitch receiver assembly?

What class is the receiver? I believe that the weight limit is for the Monty frame, not the actual carrying capacity of the receiver. Keystone doesn't want frame twist. Side to side stresses are not good for our frames, while up and down stresses seem to be much more tolerable. By putting a 1 1/4" receiver on, with a weight limit sticker of 250 pounds, Keystone is trying to prevent the towing of things like additional trailers or cars, which put alot of side to side stress on the frame.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
James, for a test run, have Shannon follow you for a ways and see what happens back there as your going down the road. Or Have a friend drive your rig 10 miles or so and you follow. It will give you an idea of what is going on and then you will know. I have owned the 3650RK rear Kitchen model, we never had any damage back there and I know there is a lot of bouncing especially on good old highway 90 in Minnesota. Now that is a test. There has been a lot of talk about the rear and how much weight to trust the hitch with. The Norm is not more than a couple of bike's.. SO that would leave your generator out. Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I saw how the new hitches are installed. 200 lbs would be scary! The side brackets are just spot welded to the frame at the last 4-inches of the very end, then extend almost 2-ft to the back of the Monty. That doesn't even include the length of the receiver hitch you add, or the appliance.

Those baskets are quite a stress even for a vehicle receiver, let alone this bike rack thing. I would suggest visiting a weld shop first for another opinion and some resolutions.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
So has anyone built a reciever hitch to pull an ATV trailer??
pro's, - con's I've got a 05 3400 rl
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We just looked at the receiver hitch on an 09 3400RL...I think it said 200# max. That's a couple if bikes, I would not put a generator on it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I believe the Montana's are still running the 12" frame on the new model and I'm sure Keystone will not put a 2 1/2" receiver on them. The 1 1/4 will handle the Bikes. I don't think I would hang a Generator back there without some extra metal supports. We could have gotten a factory installed rear hitch on our (SOB) and I think it was a 2 1/2" receiver, however we have a 15" frame and we decided we had plenty of room in our basement for our Bikes and we do store our bikes in the basement. We have the prep for a on board Generator and have had them before and just didn't use it enough, because we don't do any boondocking. We only stay at RV parks with full 50 amp service. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Allen, we had one built at a hitch shop. I believe LonnieB made his, and pulls an ATV trailer. You might PM him.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Actually, I didn't build mine, but should have. It was installed by the dealer I bought the Montana from, and is sufficient for what I do, but I would have built it stronger.

jsnip42, I agree with Brad and MIchael, go to a reputable welding shop and have them "beef up" your existing hitch to carry the generator. They can add supports and braces where needed, and shouldn't cost too much.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We went ahead and used the 1 1/4" receiver to attach a Yakima bike rack. We carry two bikes. We were planning to move the bike rack from the trailer to the TV for expeditions off the campsite. This is not working out as planned. The torque on the supporting tubing is bad. There's almost twenty feet of lever arm between the trailer axle post and the hitch and bumpy roads make the bikes pitch alarmingly. It's very scary to watch in the back-up camera system! Not to mention the damage the bikes sustained by banging into each other until I figured out a better way to secure them.

As noted by others, the support tube is a big problem. I took the problem to my expert welder friend, who immediately came up with a couple of ways to weld braces back to the frame. BUT, he declined to perform the surgery because the electrical discharges from welding can toast the electronics of the trailer. So, it looks like we're going to have to unbolt the side support channels from the frame, weld bracing to it, then bolt the augmented structure to the frame using the existing holes and either new holes (warranty problem) or beam clamps.

The problem is magnified by the excessive tolerance between the bike rack hitch tubing and the Montana receiver. I found some washers to insert under and beside the bike rack tubing to stiffen the joint. It works better, but now we've lost the speed and simplicity that we expected of the combination.

I sure wouldn't put anything heavier on that hitch receiver. Stay tuned.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm thinking your welder might be over cautious. There are more electronics in an auto than in the Montana, and they get welded on all the time.