Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
air hitch installed

OK for everyone reading and wondering (like I did) is an air hitch worth the money?

I'll let you know after this weekend. This is the new "smart air system" auto levels the hitch and dumps the air when unhitching.
Trailsaver TS3 it has a built in air compressor, thus "Smart Air".

This Chevy is absolutely wonderful. I hooked up this evening for a test drive of a couple miles. The allison is incredible when coming up to a light. You can hear the turbo shut down and act a "jake brake". The factory electric brake controller is a dream sending enough power to work but not to much power to have the trailer trying to stop the truck.

I enjoyed driving the ford for all the years. Now if it is not a "dirty job" the ford just sets as I enjoy driving the Chevy that much more. I have to quit spending $ as things are a little tight but these purchases will not have to be remade for many years.

Ozz (or anyone else) how long did it take you to get your new truck set up to your liking? Would you care to toss out a dollar figure for the "Ozz mods" on the new truck.

I can't believe the money that I'm spending on what we (Pam & I) believe is necessary to have.
(truck,running boards,new hitch,rhino liner,air bags & on board compressor,ext warranty on truck)

Sorry for the rambling I'm just thrilled that we're finally ready to take a weekend off.
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Chuck, I can understand, I just purchased my first diesel this June, the 2007 Clasic. I would add a tool box and fuel tank to you list. I have the too box in mine now, and with the short bed 27 gal fuel tank, am considering replacing it with a 46 gallen tank.

Have fun
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chuck,
I know how you feel, I have to say that I am still excited about my truck. It is expensive to outfit them, the aftermarket business is apparently a great one for trucks.
Chuck most of my truck accessories and mods are ones I had on my previous trucks. I just removed them and installed them on this one. The rear view camera for the truck is new, and around $100.00 from Tim at RVCams. (Color, but no sound) OH, my 3 gallon air tank is new as well. I worked on it for a god two weeks, I had two large cardboard pcs. under the truck to slide around on. Have fun with it.
I love the air ride of my 2 bag hitch, you look in the mirror and the Monte just floats over the bumps, you will love it as well.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Rogue I keep turning over & over on aux tank & tool box. just can't decide partly because of cost I'm sure.

Ozz I've not looked into the backup cams yet but I can see the use for one. Was it a pain to hook up? Do you find it helps in parking the rig? Many times I park this thing by myself thus I get out and check myself a few times. My spot a home is a "blind side" parking area thus I never park after dark.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chuck, you would love one, it was a pain to hook up, but well worth it. It is nice going through a town too, to see the people behind you. I like it when passing people, when they clear the camera, I can pull in.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lwcdg

OK for everyone reading and wondering (like I did) is an air hitch worth the money?
If your new hitch works as well as ours, you'll be in love with it and will wonder why it took you so long to get one.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote