Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When Was The Last Time You

Looked at your kids baby pictures/movies? For the past several weeks I have been sorting pictures and the last week converting old home movies (60 years of them) to DVD. I have laughed and cried many times over. I had forgotten many of the incidents that are again fresh in my mind. We are getting so close, the storage space is rented, the antique china and dishes are packed, the tools have been sorted and the new tool box is in Monty. (If any of you guys need a tool, contact us, I think we have 1 or 2 of everything.) The garage is almost empty, the cupboards are bare. I'm almost done with the DVD conversion, the books are packed, the Indian pottery is packed. One last go on clothes and then the train stuff and lastly the division of the quilts and we are pretty much done. Looking at mid August for take off - 6 weeks away! Yeah!
Happy trails.........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sue I know those tears had our home movies coveted to DVD this spring. I also bought a scanner and I'm scanning the old photos to help with the fading that is bound to ruin them. In three years we will be long timers could never find a way to make that big of a change to full timing Best Wishes! SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As you are making your DVDs, be sure to use the '+R' version of the blanks; they hold up better in the long run. Even then, I strongly suggest you make a 2nd copy and keep all of them cool and out of direct sunlight. Heat will damage the DVDs we burn ourselves. (The dyes in the -R version are different than in the +Rs, and doesn't seem to hold up as long --- at work our support techs have been doing a lot of research into the matter. We now use +Rs for university financials).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I am using +RW. I also have a zip file of everything I've burned and will eventually make copies for all my daughters so the movies will not be lost.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Sue, Fantastic. I would suggest once you get the +RW full and set up the way you want it, you copy it over to straight +R as time allows though. More stable material primarily. My prior job at the University was mostly computer repair and assistance tech and 'general nerd'; had a lot of staff come in asking about why they couldn't play or view cd's they had created. In the case of audio CDs they had left them in their cars during the summer heat and the media just literally died. One other had stored her photos and photo CDs out in a storage unit; as best we could determine, heat got them as well. Having done a lot of reading on the subject; it appears the dyes in the +R (both CD and DVD) is much more stable in the long run than the dye used in the -R discs; neither is all that tolerant of heat however.

By the way, the thing that makes a disk rewritable is a dye contained within the media that melts at a high enough temperature -- so when you rewrite on an RW disc, a high powered laser melts this dye which fills in the earlier pits and valleys; then the writing laser repits them again. So, enough heat held long enough can cause this to occur even when in the disc storage container.

However, if your treat them well, they will last a very long time and you as well as the kids and grandkids will be able to enjoy them for years to come.

Sorry, here I am on platform again; I've gotta learn to stop doing that!!!!

Best wishes on your future plans - sounds like you are going to have a blast!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, looking through pictures, yearbooks, and other "forgotten" memoribilia took a major part of my time in preparing for fulltiming. Good luck, Sue and Ed. You're almost there!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote