Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What paint to use on the hitch saddle?

Well, the factory service center apparently removed my lubriplate and neglected to reinstall it. I didn't notice it until yesterday, after 650 miles of towing. Naturally there was no grease on the saddle because I'd been using the plate. Also, we didn't unhitch on our overnight stays while on the road.

Now I have shiny metal scratched in the saddle of the hitch and it is already rusting. I need to sand it down and apply some kind of finish. Any clues what to use?

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Steve,
Unfortunately nothing beats a baked on finish, but I seem to remember seeing epoxy-type aerosol paints at Home Depot or the likes. Might be worth the investigation.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

Steve,
Unfortunately nothing beats a baked on finish, but I seem to remember seeing epoxy-type aerosol paints at Home Depot or the likes. Might be worth the investigation.
Steve,

That is exactly what I just used to repaint my TrailAir pinbox. The bottom of the lower jaw was really scratched up badly. I guess we will both get to see if it holds up.... If it doesn't hold up, I may try to find some place that will powdercoat it. Powercoat is plenty tough.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, guys. I'll give the epoxy type paint a try. I think I'll also give it a light coat of the slide lubricant, the kind that doesn't collect dirt, to help protect the paint, also. I sure wish I had noticed it was missing. I did see the lubriplate hanging from other rigs but not ours so just didn't check to see if it had been removed. Never thought to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote