Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
RV tire balancing question

It apears that Monty's tires are not balanced at the factory. I had mine done after several thousand miles, after I discovered no weights on any of the four wheels.

I have had some folks state that the RV tire balancing needs to be done differten from "normal" balancing in that the shop shold use a "lug-centric" procedure (special balancing machine, I would suppose)as opposed to the standard hub-centric balancer.

Any enlightment from the Forum folks is most welcomed. Any opinions on the need or desirabilty to have the RV wheels balanced?

Thanks

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Could someone explain where balancing weights are attached on the aluminum wheels? I also have not balanced mine.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the aluminum wheels and had the tire shop attach the weights on the inside of the wheel. This way I do not see them when the wheels are uncovered. Personal opinion I guess. I had the wheels balanced on my coach because I wanted to. The dealership and factory said it is not required to do so, I figure you know how it feels in a car when a tire is not balanced. Why put the coach/frame/contents through that if I can control it in any way.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Could someone explain where balancing weights are attached on the aluminum wheels? I also have not balanced mine.
My last vehicle with aluminum wheels had the weights stuck on with adhesive. They were not clamped to the rim like you commonly see with steel wheels. The aluminum is too soft to have conventional weights hammered on.

As far as different techniques for balancing. I can not offer any informaton.

I'm thinking this is a good idea to have the tires / rims balanced by any method.

Good luck in your travels
Chris
Old 05-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Balancing tires while on the vehicle or trailer is not a good idea. I was in the tire business back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's and my brother is still in the business today. Balancing on the vehicle will balance in any problems or looseness you maybe having with the suspension. While this may sound good it isn't. On vehicle balancing could disguise or hide other problems. Also, you cannot rotate the tires without having to pay for rebalance. If you get a flat, the tire and wheel have to be put back on "exactly" the same position they were balanced in.
Off the vehicle, Computerized spin balancing using the lug pattern is the best way to balance any tire/wheel combination. Remember you only want to balance the tire and the wheel and NOT the suspension.
uhftx is correct about the stick on adhesive weights on the aluminum wheels and trying to hide the weight on the backside as Montana Sky does is defeating the dynamics of the balancing. A properly balanced tire wheel combination must have the weights on both sides of the wheel. Placing the weights on just one side takes away the "dynamic" balance.
Off-car spin balancers actually check two kinds of balance, "static" and "dynamic." Static imbalance causes a wheel to shake up and down as it spins, so static balance is achieved when both halves of the tire wheel assembly weigh exactly the same. Dynamic imbalance causes a tire and wheel to shake back and forth or sideways as it spins. Dynamic balance is achieved when the front and back sides of the wheel and tire weigh the same.
Tread wear of an unbalanced or imbalanced wheel is cupping of the tread
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Glenn: What about the aluminum vs steel wheel situation for installing the weight(s)? Are there special weights for the aluminum wheels? Are they put on the same way the "standard" ones are?

Thanks,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:21 AM   #7
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
UHFTX noted that for aluminum wheels, use the self-adhesive ones. Most if not all tire shops have these weights because of the number of alloy wheels they work with daily.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote