Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Run HDMI Wiring from Sat Receiver to TV in 3455sa

Hello all,

We just took delivery of our 2012 3455sa 2 weeks ago and spent 5 days testing her out on the way home. All systems seem to be working just fine. (fingers crossed)

I use a winegard carryout portable, and a VIP211 receiver with my Dish Account. I'm looking into how to route the HDMI wire from the 211 to the TV.

I have the 211 receiver in the upper slot above the TV (factory DVD is in the slot below that). There are several cable conduits including what appears to be a cable conduit in the floor of the upper slot - I tried to snake an extra coax thru that to see it i could get it to peek out somewhere but no luck.

I need to get the HDMI down into the box behind the fireplace so I can connect to the TV as it rides up and down. Prefer not to take the easy way and drill holes if I can avoid it.

Has anybody snaked an HDMI down thru the walls or whatever (hopefully in a 3455) who can share some ideas?

I've tried some specific searches and don't seem to come up with anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Greg K

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Greg,
I have exactly the same setup. In my 2010 3455 there are no wire chases. I found 2 solutions:
1. I bought an HDMI splitter from Amazon. It had 3 inputs, one for your home theater and one for your dish. The single output went to the TV. It was supposed to be able to auto detect the signal but I found that it didn't work correctly so I used the remote. Do a google search, there are several to choose from.

2. I decided to replace my home theater rather than using the splitter. I upgraded it with a similar model, Samsung, that had multiple HDMI inputs. The Dish receiver's HDMI port goes to the home theater receiver. The home theater runs the single HDMI cable to the TV.

I too was looking for a wiring chase as the lift had broken the speaker wire to the sub woofer behind the TV. I was able to start fishing it up to the receiver when it broke in the wall. I removed the a/c outlet on the left side of the slide and found the speaker wires, cable and hdmi behind the insulation.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help further.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
You know... you might be right. I think the path of least resistance might be to go and get a "real" home theatre with multiple HDMI inputs. I think I will do some searches.

I also thought about removing the AC outlet.

Good ideas. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
I had the same problem. I made a hole in the top right corner of the window valance into the cabinet. Then I drilled through the corian. The wires run behind the curtain and valance, you can not see them. At the same time I moved my speakers. Link to a few pics http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44391
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Greg,
One of the benefits of the multiple HDMI inputs on your home theater is that you'll get 5:1 surround sound from your Dish 211k, otherwise I believe you'll be limited to the the TV speakers or the stereo feed from the tv back to the home theater.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have the same setup in my rig and (so far) I haven't found a way to fish something through the "chase" on the sidewall. I am using Ken's HDMI splitter (it was surplus after he upgraded his home theater) which works well.

I have found that you will get true 5.1 from the home theater when the satellite receiver is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The TV supplies sound to the home theater with an optical cable which is the "D.IN" source. It passes the 5.1 sound signal nicely however you have to convince the home theater to utilize it. The default setting appears to be standard stereo sound. But if you press the "DOP II" button (just below the "7" button on the home theater remote) repeatedly until the display shows "matrix" you will get 5.1 surround sound.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
I have a 11' 3455SA and will be attempting the same exact hook up this w/e...
I am hoping to go up the wall and come out inside the left wall behind or say to the right of A/C outlet... Plan B is the "real" home theater...but matching the speakers may be a problem... Replacing them turns the project into a job...
Will keep you posted...
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
dpilot,

let me know how it turns out. I'm currently suffering from multiple project ADD. I'm working on extending the sewer boom so that I can fit a longer hose in there, contemplating hooking up the HDMI to the TV, adding 12v rope lighting under the kitchen counter, adding a second 12v battery and inverter (till next year when I want to go all out and add solar and 6v batteries) etc etc.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to use to replace the existing sewer boom so that my 15' rhino hose would fit in there....
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
will keep you up to date... for the boom try a 46" hose carrier, remove one end and go !!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Roland Ballow

M.O.C. #9800
I have a 3400 and drilled a hole in the bottom of the slideout and ran 50 frrt of cable from the reciver, put a small cover(purchased from Camping World) over hole. When I set up just pull cable out and hook up. Works great!! FYI, I have 4" space behind TV compartment wall and outside wall. I also do not use TV in bedroom.
Roland Ballow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
In my 2011 3455 I was faced with the same problem. I bought a small wire fish and HDMI cable and was going to try and fish it thru the hole in floor of the compartment holding the Samsung unit. The wire bundle is run from the floor of that compartment to the left side wall and down to the left inside wall of the tv cabinet. While I was contemplating this, it became clear that there already was an HDMI cable in that cable bunch that went from the Samsung to the tv. I just rerouted the upper end of that HDMI cable from the Samsung to my Directv receiver through the hole from the upper left cabinet (where I put the Directv receiver) to the Samsung compartment. Voila, no fishing of the new HDMI was required. I switched the HDMI cable on the back of the tv for the Directv connection and was done. Of course I now don't have the Samsung connected, but I wasn't using it anyway. I will try taking out the electical plate in the left cabinet and fishing the new HDMI from there.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
dpilot,

did you ever install your hdmi thru the wall?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
sue531
Established Member

M.O.C. #11214
We had the same problem with our 211K and per another posters suggestion changed out our Samsung to a model HT-C6600. It has an HDMI input that you can just run the HDMI from the 211 and then you have HD programming without running a new cable. I also moved the speakers from behind the front fabric to below and to the side.(also as suggested by another post here) It works very well but does cost for a new system.
sue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
No, had to leave on a project emergency and all personal projects halted... Will resume ops in about 1-2 weeks... presently in Mt.
Will keep you all posted as soon as I return to a peacefully chaotic schedule...