Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Insulation

We were inspired by a previous poster who insulated their basement area. We tried to find the original post but couldn't.

Here is what we did:

While we were in here, we noticed how the technicians at Lippert ran the 12 volt wire from the Level Up system to the inside slide switch...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
So how did the insulation job go?

Did you insulate the walls and the cieling and what did you use?

Just curious!!

By the way, the wiring job you discovered in incredible. Doesn't look like they used much common sense and went the easy route with it.
Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We used the pink, rigid insulation from Home Depot/Lowes and installed it in between the aluminum studs. In the first picture you can see the pink insulation.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks Mike, Guess I missed that in the first picture, Duh!

Do you think it is really worth it to do this? My new rig has a heat duct in this compartment. Or did you just insulate the forward wall?

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Well, time will tell if it was worth the hour to complete the project. We insulated the rear wall of the basement - the one that separates the space under the stairs and the basement compartment.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

We were inspired by a previous poster who insulated their basement area. We tried to find the original post but couldn't.
Michael,
Here is the original post you mentioned: Basement Insulation. This project is on my "To-Do' list. What I have started doing when I see a post that has captured my interest is I add it to my excel spreadsheet with my list of improvements/additions and also copy the link to the post for future reference. I have gotten tired of getting frustrated trying to find past posts when I use the search function.

r,
Jack
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Great idea. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I have been meaning to do this so I went to Lowes and Home Depot looking at the rigid foil backed insulation and found the big warning on it of being highly combustable. But,I assume the wall insulation is the same thing. I guess I shouldn't worry because if it starts on fire it's a goner so a little more won't hurt as long as it kept away of the furnace and other heat or flame producers. Is there lesser combustible rigid light insulation. Any thoughts?
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Isn't it amazing that wiring work like that gets by everyone. Companies wonder why customers get mad at them when things go wrong....
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I have previously insulated my basement. Prior to insulation, the basement was about 5 degrees warmer than outside. With insulation (and a few other modifications), the basement stays above freezing with outside temperature down between zero and minus 10, depending on wind and direction. I also added the reflectex insulation to the doors with several screws. I did not use rigid foam for the room, I used a water heater insulation blanket because it was flexible and the thick plastic white jacket made a nice reflective roof inside the basement.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

I have previously insulated my basement. Prior to insulation, the basement was about 5 degrees warmer than outside. With insulation (and a few other modifications), the basement stays above freezing with outside temperature down between zero and minus 10, depending on wind and direction. I also added the reflectex insulation to the doors with several screws. I did not use rigid foam for the room, I used a water heater insulation blanket because it was flexible and the thick plastic white jacket made a nice reflective roof inside the basement.
Do you have any pictures?
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just to support my post mentioned above that I made several months back ... we've been RVing in 105+ degree weather most of the summer here in the plains states. There is a world of difference from last summer even if the temps are a bit hotter. There is no gush of hot air into the living area whenever you open the cargo doors ... no gush of hot air when the wind blows due to poor sealing around the cargo doors and belly pan. Without the insulation in the cargo wall there is a straight shot from the belly pan to the area under your bedroom steps right into the living area of your fiver. Used to be, my cargo area was just as cool as the living area ... for what??? I also could feel cold air falling from the belly pan around the spring shackle cutouts and what have you. All this was eliminated by my mod. I had stated in my original post that of owning 3 differnt Montanas, this was the draftiest model ... I now have to retract that statement as it is currently about the tightest fiver I've owned. About the only thing I would do differently IF I were one to winter camp is to bore a hole in the plywood I used to block off the 18" of missing wall right behind the convience center ... tee off the heat duct going to the belly pan and run a new 2" heat duct into the area right behind the convience center. Since I don't winter camp, this small alteration to the original mod is no concern to me.

On Edit: Be sure to look at the 3rd photo down in my original post ... you'll need to stuff something like the blue foam I put between the bedroom floor joists or your mod won't be as effective. This is also a straight shot from the cargo area to your living area.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I don't have any pictures, but I will get some. DieselGuy, I did make alterations to my heating duct under the steps to force a large amount of heated air to the convenience panel. I also drilled several dozen holes into the bottom of the heater duct to dump heat into the other side of the basement. This also decreased the heat being pumped into our bedroom - which for us, was a great thing!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote