Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Need a new mattress

The "new" (to us) trailer didn't come with a mattress. Well, to be precise, we declined the used mattress that was in it.

DW and I both had the same reaction to sleeping on someone else's used mattress: "Ewww!"

So now we are shopping. With my sleep disorder I've found a foam mattress (memory foam or latex) is much better than any inner coil mattress I've ever tried. Also price is a major concern (I blew the budget buying the trailer and TV).

Most places actually charge more for a shorter RV queen mattress, so we've even considered buying a $300 or so queen memory foam mattress and cutting 5-6 inches off the length ourselves. But then I found a reference to a mattress on overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html

The price is right and it sounds OK. Does anyone know anything about it? If not, we might be able to tell you what it is like in about 2 weeks.

The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If you are 6' tall the 75 " mattress is no use for use guys. we need 80" or your feet are in no land all nite . you can have a mattress made for your specs at not much more than the reg cost , just go to a mattres store and get a price as you are not buying a box spring also so its not that exp to do...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Thanks sailer. I'm 5'10" so I just fit.

This long weekend we are on an old air mattress that we had for the kids or some such. It is actually RV queen size. I sure don't want to spend more than these 3 nights on it!

We actually tried over 6 different mattress stores. Either they won't do custom or they want ridiculous prices! Maybe it is just the market in the Tampa Bay area.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We bought a regular queen size foam mattress and placed it in our camper. I cut a new base board for the platform and it works just fine. The mattress butts up against the dresser drawers whenever the slide is in but it doesn’t hurt anything. The slide will completely close without a problem. It really didn’t take much to modify the platform so it would work.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We replaced our mattress with a regular queen size memory foam type. When you bring the slides in, no problem, the foam gives. Now if it had those coils, that would probably not work.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Sunflowers

The "new" (to us) trailer didn't come with a mattress. Well, to be precise, we declined the used mattress that was in it.

DW and I both had the same reaction to sleeping on someone else's used mattress: "Ewww!"

So now we are shopping. With my sleep disorder I've found a foam mattress (memory foam or latex) is much better than any inner coil mattress I've ever tried. Also price is a major concern (I blew the budget buying the trailer and TV).

Most places actually charge more for a shorter RV queen mattress, so we've even considered buying a $300 or so queen memory foam mattress and cutting 5-6 inches off the length ourselves. But then I found a reference to a mattress on overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html

The price is right and it sounds OK. Does anyone know anything about it? If not, we might be able to tell you what it is like in about 2 weeks.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

We bought a regular queen size foam mattress and placed it in our camper. I cut a new base board for the platform and it works just fine. The mattress butts up against the dresser drawers whenever the slide is in but it doesn’t hurt anything. The slide will completely close without a problem. It really didn’t take much to modify the platform so it would work.
Bill, that is good to know. Very good! I'd rather have a proper queen size mattress, anyway.

Heck, that means I could put in a king if I wanted. Same length, just wider.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

We replaced our mattress with a regular queen size memory foam type. When you bring the slides in, no problem, the foam gives.
OK, 2 people saying the same thing. I'm gonna get me a regular length mattress - queen or king - and modify the platform instead of the mattress!

Thanks for the input. I'll post a followup when I get the new mattress in.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We replaced the king size with a queen foam from costco. Had to cut 4 inches off from each side of the platform, but it works great. We liked the foam mattress so much that we got one for the house bed.

And cutting off the 4 inches off the platform gave DW more room between the closet door and bed to maneuver around.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Here is a link to the mattress we just purchased. We got the medium firmness. It was one of the few I had seen where you could select your firmness. Regular queen size and as said it will close up with the slide with no problem. Just be aware ours said "not returnable after opened." ??? (They would of had a hard time with me not taking it back.) Great product, we sleep great on it.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...rchtype=Header
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
DW says she'd be happy with a queen in the Monty although she really likes having the king at home. I don't mind snuggling closer to her, either!

Roaming, thanks for the link. I don't know that I want an 11" but I note that they also make a 9" that has 42 very favorable reviews. What do you think of the medium firmness? We have a class Tempurpedic mattress (bought at auction, unused, for a small fraction of the new price) and I can tolerate it but it is quite firm! I'm trying to decide if I should go with medium or soft.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

We replaced our mattress with a regular queen size memory foam type. When you bring the slides in, no problem, the foam gives.
OK, 2 people saying the same thing. I'm gonna get me a regular length mattress - queen or king - and modify the platform instead of the mattress!

Thanks for the input. I'll post a followup when I get the new mattress in.
The 2005 3400RL has to have rounded corners on the "King Size" because of the bath vanity
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

The 2005 3400RL has to have rounded corners on the "King Size" because of the bath vanity
Oh, good point! Another reason I should listen to SWMBO and get a queen.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We went ahead and used the mattress that came with the unit, but ours was new. Then I ordered at 4inch memory foam topper from overstock and have been really happy with it. I know a regular style mattress is fairly resonalbe and the topper I bought was around 125$, cheaper than some of the new style memory foan styles. Good luck.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:

DW says she'd be happy with a queen in the Monty although she really likes having the king at home. I don't mind snuggling closer to her, either!

Roaming, thanks for the link. I don't know that I want an 11" but I note that they also make a 9" that has 42 very favorable reviews. What do you think of the medium firmness? We have a class Tempurpedic mattress (bought at auction, unused, for a small fraction of the new price) and I can tolerate it but it is quite firm! I'm trying to decide if I should go with medium or soft.
The medium is quite firm, I sometimes think we should of gone with the soft. It is hard to say as there is no way to test the softness. It was a gamble, but it worked for us.
Good luck!
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We bought one from www.bedinabox.com we really like it it was made for RV they have a sale every holiday we got it on sale I think about $500.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
I'm so cheap I pinch pennies until they squeal! $500 for a mattress sounds crazy expensive to me. The king mattress we had in our stick and brick before getting a Tempurpedic at auction (for $300) was a 10" foam mattress including 3" of Talalay latex comfort layer that I built myself for about $300.

DW remembered that I still have most of the foam; all I have to do is cut it down to Queen size. So I've done that. The middle layer of foam was thrown out (don't ask!) but was needing replacing anyway. We are looking at options but by reusing perfectly good mattress foam we already have we should have a top-of-the-line, super comfortable (like floating on a cloud) mattress for about $120 after I buy one layer of foam and a new cover.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Interesting topic!! We're thinking of changing out our current King mattress and going with a standard Queen, likely foam. Is it a hassle getting the King mattress out of the rig or are there some good hints that make it easy? Is there a market for good but used RV King mattresses?
barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
There is an auction house that we go to almost every month. With all the bankruptcies over the past few years there have been quite a few good but used mattresses come along.

Unless it looks so good you can't tell it from new they practically have to give them away!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
We took the king out of our Monty, a little cumbersome getting it around the corner of the bedroom. Advertised it and the fitted sheets for $45. It took two weeks to sell. Just ordered a memory foam queen from Overstock.com about 20 minutes ago. We ordered the Comfort Dreams Select-a firmness (ordered the soft) 11" mattress for $399, shipping was a whole $2.95. We are looking forward to using it.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote