Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Window Tint

Couldn't find anything with a search about window tint, what your thounghs. I have a GMC sure it helps with the sun, but how much will it hurt with my rear vision with the mirrors? Looking at the same tint as the rear window have now. Know the legal aspects of having the tint on the windows.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Living in Florida, window tint is a must. On our 08 F350 crew cab, the rear side windows and rear window came darker than the front sides. We had the fronts tinted to match the rears, and of course left the windshield as is. The only time it becomes a problem with using the mirrors for backing is after dark, and I just roll them down. When hooking up to the Big Sky I open the center slider window to have a clear look at the pin box. Go for it!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Tint is good. Also I had the shop put a strip of tint at my roof line on the front windshield. It is about 6" wide and goes side to side it's wonderful.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Living in Florida, window tint is a must. On our 08 F350 crew cab, the rear side windows and rear window came darker than the front sides. We had the fronts tinted to match the rears, and of course left the windshield as is. The only time it becomes a problem with using the mirrors for backing is after dark, and I just roll them down.
Agree.

This time of year tint is worth it's weight in gold. I have the windows of all my vehicles tinted dark as legal.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
Just a little reminder.....the front two windows may have been tinted lighter because of state law (and the nasty safety issue of seeing whats behind you in the dark). The big thing in Connecticut is tint and the 5-O are keen to stop anything that is too dark. Florida may be less rigorous. Just wanted to throw that out there!! Everyone talks about the weight police, but not the regular cops on the road!
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
In addition to helping to keep the inside of your vehicle cooler, the tint can also make driving in the daylight more comfortable by having less eye strain...for me, at any rate. I would concur with recommending going with as dark a tint as law would allow.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I think the factory tint is lighter on the fronts because state have so many different rules. Then getting the darkest allowed locally is the way to go. I felt sorry for both of my sons. When they left Florida with cars they bought here and moved to Maryland, to register the cars up there they had to have the tint removed, get inspected, and then re-tint. Once tagged in MD they are never inspected again. What a system!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
As far as driving, it won't effect your daytime driving, but it could effect nighttime driving. At least it does mine. I can still see ok, just not as well as without the tint. So I don't tow at night.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks for all the replies, it is now illegal in Illinois to even apply tinting. But, have never heard of any one getting a ticket having it on unless they want to find something to get you for. Swanny I'll ask about the upper front glass that is a problem area, thanks. We are now in South Carolina and it is bright and hot here and lots of cars are tinted!!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
One can always make a Dr. appointment with your eye doc if the sunlight causes issues. I had to remove the tint on my front windows as the Iowa State Patrol pulled me over and ticketed me for having the front windows tinted. I run all my trucks with 30% on the front windows and never had an issue with being able to see at night. Eye docs can write prescriptions for sun glare which allows you to "legally" tint the front windows in states that do not otherwise allow it. The previous state I lived in allowed it - never gave it a 2nd thought when I moved to Iowa.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i find that tint is good because it keeps prying eyes away. harder to see inside to see what can be stollen.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote