Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I didn't have the air pump for a year but now I like it as in a bad gas station driveway you can add or let out air to get out of the station which I have had to do at times as the tail gat would have been smashed so i let air out and the n half way down i pumped them up to 70 lbs to get out ;;;you will like the compresser instead of the hand pump as i did for a year ..I put my compresser behind the rear seat ;;;sailer

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have had the Firestone bags on the last two trucks. First set was on a 1992 Chevy and held up great for ten years that I owned them, Now have them on my 2002 Chevy, easy install and still working great. A freind knew I was looking to but them on the 2002 and saw a new set at the flea market, I paid a hole $30.00, still in box.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #23
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
After much research and reading this forum, I chose the firestone airbags. The cost and ease of installation were the reason. My installation learning curve from left side to right side installation was an hour for a total of 3 hours (2 left, 1 right). I set mine to 35/40 lbs and life is good. It helps to have someone handing you tools and parts and if its your wife it will strenghten your marriage.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

After much research and reading this forum, I chose the firestone airbags. The cost and ease of installation were the reason. My installation learning curve from left side to right side installation was an hour for a total of 3 hours (2 left, 1 right). I set mine to 35/40 lbs and life is good. It helps to have someone handing you tools and parts and if its your wife it will strenghten your marriage.
Mike
I can't speak for Fords, but putting the bags on GM trucks is very easy. Routing the air lines to the cabin took a lot more work and time. Still, it's a job that is easily handled by the average do-it-yourself-er. Having my wife help though? Nah, I draw the line there!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Try Firestone or Air Lift, each around $300.00. Get your wrenches out and save the installation charges. Really, they are not that difficult to install. Plus you will know they are done right.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
Don't know about the Air Lift brand, but my experience with the Firestone Ride Rites is that they we're easy to install. They have a good installation diagram. I'm sure the Air Lift brand is equally as easy to install.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #27
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
Here is my 10 cents worth. I just installed airbags on my bosses 08 F250 3 weeks ago. I installed pacbrakes airbags and they were a PIA to do. There is a big differance between the 05-06 frames on the Fords and the 08's. On the pacbrakes bags you have to angle the upper plate with no holes as a guide like on the older ford trucks and drill two holes to mount the upper plate. This is most diffucult on the the side with the Ebrake cable which has to be relocated. A week before this I installed them on my Dodge 3500 and they were very easy to install and took no time at all. Please look at each company's product and see how they are constructed, because they are not all the same. Look at the warrenty that the company offers and ask yourself how good you are with tools. If you are not comfortable drilling into your frame don't pick the pacbrake's bags or hire a pro. I am not sure if the others are no drill kits as I can only speak for pacbrake's bags. As for preformance, the bags works great. They have made a world of difference in comfort when towing my 5th wheel. I feel it tracks better and when I hit big bumps or cross bridges I feel there is something there to dampen the shock. My bosses truck tows a 14 foot dump trailer overloaded all the time and it has made alot of differance in how the truck handles the heavy loads of the trailer. Paying a guy a couple hundred bucks would be the way I would go so I did not have to bust a knuckle under a truck to install them if I owned a 08 or newer Ford! If it was a Dodge, I would say go do it yourself, its super easy! Its just my 10 cents. Good luck with your decision. Happy camping!
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote