Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
KEG
Established Member

M.O.C. #9790
Aux Fuel Tanks

Hi everyone newbie here. I have a 2010 F 350 dually and am considering an aux fuel tank and would like to here from others concerning the pros and cons of their tanks. Please include the manufacturer and if a transfer flow style tank or other.

Thanks for your help.

Keg

KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
First of all: Welcome Keg to the forum..... i been haveing a transfer tank now for about 3 years i love it i go about 1400 mile not pulling before filling and i run are 1000 pulling but i never let my main tank go below a 1/2, its free flowing with a cutoff valve, here is the tank i have but i didnt buy it from them i wish i did http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0683_200370683
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have a 50/gal Trasflo tank on my dually and am happy with the capacity of 85 gallons between fueling.They are DOT approved
http://www.transferflow.com/tfi_forum_page.html
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I installed this tank and transfer kit. I like the set up. The transfer kit is simple to install as in the tank. Gives me a lot of choices where to fill up along the way. Now that I have an auxiliary tank I would not be without one. Should have done it a long time ago. The gravity flow transfer works great. The tank came on a pallet strapped together well. No damage or scratches.
45 Gal Tank
Diesel Install Kit
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also got mt fuel transfer tank from Northern Tool along with the water seperator and 12 Volt electric pump with a 10 foot hose on the nozel. OTD to my front door for $847.65 S&H included, it is all alumunum Dot aproved, (RDS MFG). and much less $$$$ than Transfer Flow, which also makes a good product, and Northern Tool is made in the USA so Im not putting an American out of work, I'm creating work.
I ordered mine last week and the pieces are dribbling in now.
I did call the manufacture of the tank (RDS MFG) and was able to purchase the fuel gage that mounted in the middle of the tank so I dont have to guess how much fuel I have left, Northern Tool does not sell that part but the manufacture does for $50.00 Hopefully I'll have it all setup for Q-site then Carlsbad NM.

Item#
Description
Status
Delivery
Wt
Price
Qty
Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

349007 RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank — 45 Gallon, Model# 71083 Factory Shipped 6 - 11 Business Days
Truck Ship 85.0 $379.99 1 $379.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

109577 Tuthill Fuel Transfer Pump — 12 Volt DC, 13 GPM, Model# SD1202NT In Stock 7 - 9 Business Days 21.0 $249.99 1 $249.99

170306 Goldenrod Water-Block Fuel Filter — 3/4in. Fittings, Model# 496-3/4 In Stock 7 - 9 Business Days 3.0 $36.99 1 $36.99

17042 Goldenrod Replacement Water Block Fuel Filter Element — Fits Item# 17041 In Stock 7 - 9 Business Days 1.0 $11.49 1 $11.49

Total Weight (Pounds) 110.00 Order Subtotal $678.46

Your order will be shipped Standard (UPS Ground). Shipping $169.19

View expected delivery times Tax $0.00

Order Total $847.65
Total Savings $20
Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
RDS does not have a gauge for all their tanks. If the tank has a baffle near the gauge inlet the gauge will hit the baffle. This was the case with the tank I ordered from Northern Tool and the gauge I ordered from RDS. RDS did refund the cost of the gauge and shipping.
Don is right about RDS. They are great people and very helpful if you call them.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm going to go against the grain here. When I first got our truck, I seriously considered an extra tank or a replacement. After our first long trip, I'm glad I didn't. Turns out we end up stopping every couple of hours for a short break, so I just top of the tank at each stop. So I suggest you try a trip or two before making up your mind.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have a transfer flow tank also. I do have mixed feeling about it. Like Tom said, you have to stop for a break anyway, so just fill up then and be on your way. Also it would be nice to have that room in front of the hitch for storage. Also don't forget. for the weight police, the amount of weight it adds to your totals. Mine is a 80 gal which is in excess of 500lbs that you are carrying. But on the other hand it gives you time to keep your eyes out for good fuel prices and stopping when you want. It's really a matter for preference, and what you want. The transfer flow tank is a great piece too.
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I plan on having a Transfer Flow underbelly OEM replacement tank installed. It will give me about 50 gals of fuel, which will get me anywhere I am able to drive in a day. The 34 gal OEM tank just doesn't stretch far enough without having to make a fuel stop. I do not like refueling with trailer attached. I also like the idea of connecting to original fuel gauge. The larger tank does add a little weight but not the typical 400-500 lbs. I can continue to use my tool box as intended, to carry gen, gas can, tools, bottle jack, DirectTv LNB arm, and a few other things. BTW we do stop every two hours or so for breaks, just not in a gas station....I had one in my previous truck and it was great. Only one fill port also, on the side of the truck. A little more pricey than some others but well worth the added cost TO ME!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We are running a 55 gallon auxillary tank specially fabbed out of 3/16 inch thick aluminum complete with under box 12 pump and solenoid tied into the main filler neck of truck. Operates off upfiiter switch on dash with light. Very easy to remove if I don't need it; wouldn't be without one though.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Very happy with my 37 gallon Transfer Flow. "L" shaped with the notch facing the front, so my bed cover clears it. It was designed for the retracting covers. Also left me room to put my jack and a tool box in the notch as I also pull an auto transport trailer with my truck. Having to stop evey couple of hours is a legitimate observation, but I don't want to have to stop where they have fuel available every time and wait throught the lines if there is one. Our rest areas don't have fuel. My 37 gal. plus my 25 gal. stock tank give me 60+ gallons which is just right without getting too much weight from the 50+ units. This TF automatically transfers fuel when I get down just below 1/2 tank. Shuts off again just above 3/4. Good quality unit......came with everything needed to mount and hookup, including all hoses, bolts, washers, clips, etc.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have a 48 gallon specially fabricated as well but with a simple gravity flow manual switched system. Wouldn't be without an aux. tank now, just fill up once a day when unhooked from the Monty. Simply put our system is a lot less hassle than before, trying to maneuver around all the obstacles at various fuel stops. We still stop for a rest every 2-3 hours but usually at a much more restful place than the fuel stops were.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
We installed an 80 gal RDS tank. I really like the ability to pass by the high diesel prices without being concerned about running out of fuel.
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I plan on having a Transfer Flow underbelly OEM replacement tank installed. It will give me about 50 gals of fuel, which will get me anywhere I am able to drive in a day.
This is what I have...very expensive, but top quality.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
A thought I never even thought of. Having the extra tank does pretty much eliminate the fueling with 5er behind you. That alone would be a huge plus. The way these fuel stations are anymore (in majority) its almost impossible to pull in and out with these big trailers.
Learn something every day here, and I even have the extra tank. As of yet, still haven't been on a long trip so it hasn't been brought to my attention.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It would have been realy nice if the manufactures of our trucks gave us an option of a larger fuel tank, I guess it's a insurance issue, I do know if I would have gone with the Cab Chassie Dodge I would have got a 50 gal tank OEM wihich would have been a perfect amount of fuel to carry 38 gals is a little iffy at 11 mpg in some areas if traveling at night.

I'm not bashing Transfer Flow just the reason I went with a removable tank. below.

I have looked at the transfer flow set up and it is a very clean install, but my Bro.In.Law. was told by Transfer Flow in Northern Calif, that Ford will not gurantee the fuel pump if installed in a tank other than the Ford OEM tank, why I dont know but what they said still stands in his 2009 F350. the other issue I have is it is not removable in case I decided to sell my truck and go with another manufacture, I would have to leave the tank on the truck. and that would be a large amount of money I would not recoup when sold.
the last thing I noticed is the Transfer Flow tank when installed extends below the frame of the truck, a 4x4 is a bit higer so they dont have a problem, but my new 3500 Ram is much lower than my old Ford and for me to have a fuel tank protruding below the frame by as much as 4 inches I dont want to risk any road hazards hitting the tank, I stratled the object and went between the tires it still got kicked up into the truck and trailer on my last vacation, it broke a few things under the truck, now repaired.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, If I was not a fulltimer, I would store the OEM tank at my house somehow and switch them back if the case warranted it. i.e. Chevy for Chevy, Dodge for Dodge, Ford for Ford, etc. As a fulltimer, I do not have that option. Just a thought.....

bobivy, I have not got mine yet, how far does yours hang down below the frame????

Thanks, Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

It would have been realy nice if the manufactures of our trucks gave us an option of a larger fuel tank
It is probably a weight and space issue as well. On a SB truck, there is both limited space and limited cargo capacity.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
Quote:

bobivy, I have not got mine yet, how far does yours hang down below the frame????

Thanks, Phil
I just went out and looked at it. It hangs down about six inches, if you lay on the ground and look at it. However, it is still well above the differential. My only complaint is that the low fuel warning light on the DIC sometimes comes on when there is 16/17 gallons of fuel remaining. It's bothersome to be driving with the low fuel light on and the guage showing empty, even though my DIC is very accurate and tells me I have plenty of fuel.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:

Don, If I was not a fulltimer, I would store the OEM tank at my house somehow and switch them back if the case warranted it. i.e. Chevy for Chevy, Dodge for Dodge, Ford for Ford, etc. As a fulltimer, I do not have that option. Just a thought.....

Thanks, Phil
Same here Phil "If I had a big barn to keep all my stuff in", the guy that bought my old Ford you should have seen what he got, all the work orders from Ford, and other services on the truck sence 1996, all the deletes, cat converter, air intake system, the whole back seat was full of stuff, all clean and in bags and boxes. it helped clear out some room in the shop. but a fuel tank it would have to be preped properly or rust will take over, I cant waite untill it all gets here.

Later Don