Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Entry light switch

I asked my DH to put a switch on the bathroom fan for me, which he did (and I love it). That took a dual switch which meant he then had the single switch left over. We have been annoyed ever since we took delivery of our 2010 Monty with the automatic light switch in the door frame that turns on every time the door is opened. Whenever we shut the door to leave, we had to push in the button in the door frame to make sure that the lights were turned off. My DH disconnected that button and installed the left over single switch (without the cover plate) just inside the door frame within easy reach.

This picture is the switch on the inside of the door:

This picture is how it is reached easily on entry.

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Looks like it will be a very handy location.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Thanks glad to hear of any idea , it can help us all and it looks good thank again for info
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
It's funny how different new things are looked upon by owners. We love the door entry light switch, but so far, I haven't liked the sewer boom attachment.
I installed a leaded glass window in the entry door so I can see even during the day if we left the ceiling lights on at the wall switch.
We do not care for the onboard sweeper and I am thinking of getting another Dirt Devil to install by the steps as I did in our previous Montana.
I've added this and taken down that and we, as you are, will make the 2010 Montana our Montana as we want it!
Montana built by Keystone, adapted and perfected by Steve and Patti to our taste!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
You are so right, Emmel. The fun of having a 5er is making it our own. We've done that with our 2 previous SOB's, and are doing it with our new Monty. I'm wondering what the dealers think when we take our units in for warranty?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Thanks for the idea. I have already disconnected the door switch after being annoyed by it on the first camping trip this summer.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
RonT

What was it that annoyed you about the switch?

I have always thought that a switch to turn on at least ONE light (provided OEM, not added by MOCers) when we come home after dark, would be a great idea.

So, am interested in your take on it, and why you found it annoying.

Or, anyone else (besides Steve & Patti) that has this, your take on it??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Carol, if the screen door was ajar, the light was on. If someone should come to the door at night, the light automatically went on -- a security problem because we would be highlighted and they wouldn't be. It came on during the day which was useless. I guess we just like to decide when and if the light should be on. Going in at night now, we can easily flip it on from outside the door. Like Emmel said, different strokes for different folks. We posted in case there are others, like us, who don't like it.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I love ours--but sometimes it sticks and doesn't turn on which I really dislike when it doesn't work
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Although we have only had our 3400RL for a few months I can see where this automatic switch will be a problem once it warms up here in TX. In warm weather with bugs around that are attracted to light I can see opening the door and having bugs fly right in toward the light. At least if the light is not coming on when the door is opened this would not happen. I'll likely be disconnecting ours in the spring.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Great job Footloose!

Now this brings me to two additional ideas:

1.) How about one of those lights that come on automatically when it's dark? This would save me from having to remember to turn off the top-of-the-door entry light. We usually keep the overhead light on all night anyway.

2.) Use the automatic door switch also for a blower that keeps the bugs out when entering or exitting like at stores that try and keep the flying bugs from entering. Has anyone installed something like this? Rhere is probably a weight and a power concern.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Footloose, was it just a matter of drilling a hole in the wall to locate the wiring or did you have to remove the panel?
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnnyg

Footloose, was it just a matter of drilling a hole in the wall to locate the wiring or did you have to remove the panel?
Here's what I did. Turned off the battery. Took the push button switch out that is in the door frame. Removed the wires from that switch. (If you look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I cut the trim for placement of the new switch.) Drilled a hole from the inside of the door to where the wires are. Pulled the wires through the hole. Put a new switch on the door frame and connected the wires. Replaced the push button switch in the door frame so that there isn't a hole showing. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Carol, Sorry I missed your question earlier. The door switch is a 3way switch with the switch on the panel at the bottom of the stairs that turns on the kitchen lights (light above the door, one over the island and the one above the ref. As a result anytime the door was opened all 3 lights would come on. We have since turned off the light above the ref at the switch on the light itself but still to many lights coming on when someone (me) is running in and out while working on a project after dark. I wish they would have put the door light and the kitchen lights on separate switches.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I sprayed some WD 40 on the button switch on my new monty. Cured the sticking problem immediately.prior to that it would even hang up the screen door from wanting to shut.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
mjvberg

M.O.C. #8032
Our 2011 3625 entry light switch sticks/ binds badly. The screen door is hard to close! The switch was mounted too far toward the inside of the door jam and it contacts on the rounded corner of the hinge. This subjects the switch plunger to side forces and both the plunger and hinge have been mildly damaged.

I haven't decided to fix or disconnect yet since we sometimes like the convenience (when returning in the evening)and sometimes find the the feature irritating (when enter and leaving frequently)!

A handy switch near the door is a great idea!!
mjvberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I just ordered the sensor light to replace the outside lighting. I want it to come on whenever I open the door. I’ve looked into placing some lighting on the steps but this seems to be our best option. We will be able to turn the switch off if desired.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We bought a horizontal LED fog light at an auto parts store, installed it as pictured and ran a wire to the hall wall plate that houses the switches for the kitchen, fan, scare lights, etc. Was a very simple job and provides sufficient light to illuminate the steps.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mjvberg

Our 2011 3625 entry light switch sticks/ binds badly. The screen door is hard to close! The switch was mounted too far toward the inside of the door jam and it contacts on the rounded corner of the hinge. This subjects the switch plunger to side forces and both the plunger and hinge have been mildly damaged.

I haven't decided to fix or disconnect yet since we sometimes like the convenience (when returning in the evening)and sometimes find the the feature irritating (when enter and leaving frequently)!

A handy switch near the door is a great idea!!
Mike,

Mine did the same thing, I took out the switch and flipped it over, no more problem. Its worth a try, plus give it a little squirt of WD40 too.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's a good idea to flip the switch. Our door was binding on the switch before we even picked it up when it was new. The tech made it better but I'm still not satisfied with it. I'm thinking of installing a micro switch that will handle the circuit load. Much less stress on the screen door. Has anyone replaced the switch with a better switch?

[/quote]

Mike,

Mine did the same thing, I took out the switch and flipped it over, no more problem. Its worth a try, plus give it a little squirt of WD40 too.
[/quote]
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote