Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Yellowstone Fire

We took four of our grandkids over to Yellowstone this weekend expecting less traffic than we encountered in August and lots of time to explore the areas where roads weren't closed due to construction. Surprise, surprise--the traffic was as bad as it was in August, and the Arnica fire in the Fishing Bridge area had jumped to over 1600 acres in size, so the road from the Old Faithful area to West Thumb and Fishing Bridge were closed when we headed in that direction yesterday afternoon. We couldn't backtrack and take the longer Madison-Norris-Canyon route because the road from Madison to Norris was closed due to construction. From the Old Faithful area, we could see lots of smoke and what we thought was an occasional flame from the fire, which the kids thought was pretty exciting, but we were all disappointed at having our afternoon plans to visit Fishing Bridge and the falls cancelled because of that fire. A ranger told us that the fire "was being monitored," but would not be put out, letting nature take its course instead. However, by 4:00 PM we saw helicopters with water buckets flying toward the fire, so maybe the situation changed.

We really wanted to take the kids in our Montana but decided to stay at a lodge in West Yellowstone instead. Boy, were we glad we did. I had no idea that a group of urchins aged 5, 6, 8, and 9 could have so many clothes, pillows, and other things scattered so quickly and constantly. If any of them got home with the right white socks, I'll be amazed. As roomy as our 3585 is, I don't think it could have handled the four cousins and their combined energy. They behaved beautifully, but I'm not sure any Montana would have had the floor space we needed for our group.
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Wow you are brave. We only take one grandchild at a time.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Carolyn,
What is the best time of the year to visit Yellowstone? We want to visit again, went over ten years ago when kids were small in June, but don't want there to be so many people that you have traffic jams and don't want it to be too cold. We love the area and can't wait until we can visit again. We went to Glacier NP last year in late Aug. first of Sep. and were met with snow in the park (going to the sun road was closed due to snow). So we don't want to do that again.

You wouldn't happen to know any of the McCleary's from Dillon, MT. would you?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
We just got home from Yellowstone and the Tetons last week and I would have to say that was an excellent time to go. We arrived at Fishing Bridge the 10th of Sept and stayed a week. Went to Cody one day. The weather was perfect and the leaves were turning especially in the Tetons. There were people everywhere but nothing like I've heard of in the summer. For us it was a trip of a life time we will never forget. Sounds like we got out just in time though.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We usally go anywhere from now until they close in Nov. Just like now you may have a fire or snow but sure is nice. Im heading that way the middle of the month and not worring about the weather. Its not so much like Glacier where they will close down the road and say thats it. Theyll close it for a day or so, maybe a few hours but then they plow it open. Not sure the closing date this year. Nov4-9th usally as well as I remember.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
They were closing the stores, gas stations and Fishing Bridge RV park Sept 27th while we were there. I'm not sure what will still be open so you might want to check that out.
Bob
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Fire5er, I love to visit the park in mid- to late September. The crowds usually aren't as bad as they are in June, July, and August. However, the fire and construction situations right now have severely limited travel through the park unless you're willing to detour 250+ miles to get to all the sights. For updated info, go to the www.nps.gov/yell/ web site; you can see all the road closures and also find links to park service closures (stores, restaurants, etc.).

Another nice time to visit is early May, just when the park facilities open. We were there in early May in 2004 and had a great time--cool weather, lots of animals, and NO crowds.

So far as snow goes, we've encountered it in June as well as in September. Just watch the park weather forecasts as the time for your trip approaches. I think the temperatures have been exceptionally warm for September; we were in shorts and tees and still worked up a sweat walking the boardwalks at Old Faithful!

When we were went to Glacier in 2002 (maybe 2003?), we arrived just as the Going to the Sun road was closed due to fire. We've been back since, during the summer, and had bumper-to-bumper traffic throughout most of our visit. Glacier is a beautiful place, however; we just should have gone in May or September, not in the summer.

No, I don't know any McCleary's from Dillon. I'm surprised, too, because the town is so small. I do know all the high school kids and their parents, though!
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks for all the info. 49merc, how were the RV sites at Fishing Bridge? Are the sites there large enough for a 38' 4 slide 5er and TV? I have heard the sites there are very small. Sounds like late May or mid Sep. will be the right time for us.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Fire5er, the sites are pretty tight and you'll be pretty cozy with your neighbors but it's very doable. There were a lot of big rigs while we were there just be sure and tell them the length of your rig when you make your reservations. It won't be a camping experience but your there to see the park. We were gone all day eveyday. A hint, if you've never been to Yellowstone reserve a few more days than you plan to stay. You can always cancel after your there. We had 4 days and ended up staying 7. If you go on to the Tetons (well worth it) Colter Bay is very nice and a little less expensive than Fishing Bridge. More of a camping experience there but as with Yellowstone we were gone all the time. Go and have a wonderful time. We sure did.
Bob
Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Fire5er,

Checkout RV Parks Reviews under Wyoming then YellowstoneNational Park.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...onal_Park.html

Reocurrening themes are:"Best thing about this campground: location, location, location. Worst: tight sites.", "The sites are very tight and backing into them is not for the faint of heart", "Nearly all the spaces are too small inasmuch as you are only a couple of meters from your neighbor's rig".

PS All sites are backins
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote