Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Shameful actions at the VA

This post is not intended to be political or immoral or counter to any rule of this forum. I am not a Veteran, however, my two brothers and three brothers-in-law all served. I have also seen enough evidence of MOCers who have also served. And I find this story very disturbing. I can't imagine how you Veterans feel:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/...terans_bonuses

How many of us think this is the only evidence of wrongdoing of the funds intended for our Veterans?

ON EDIT: I am not related to any of the figures named in the story. I just read what Glenn is going through during his medical treatment and can't help what could be better if this waste was not going on. Just my opinion...

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you get an error on the link Art posted, try again. I had to try twice before it connected.

The VA has needed to be reformed for a long time. It has been shameful how they treat vets, and doling out funds this is while they claim they don't have enough money to treat vets is like rewarding a bad dog for crapping on the carpet. Actually, I think the VA should be eliminated and let veterans use the hospital of their choice.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Being a VET and currently receiving care through the local VA hospital I have no problems with the system as it exists today. The doctors, nurses, nurses assistants and even the orderlies were professional, polite, caring, helpful people.
I'm not saying that I condone what is being said in that article but it is no different than the bureaucrats in any other government agency. The bureaucrats take it right off the top and honest working man &/or Vet gets the leftovers.

For me, to take this any further will become very political.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The bonus giving problem is not limited to the VA or even to the Federal Government. Have we all forgotten the AIG and other big financial institutions doing the same thing? And before you all jump on me about the AIG not being our tax money ----- well you'd be right except for the BAILOUT!

And if you do business with these outfits where do you think the money comes from? It comes from, you, the customer!

From what I've heard the VA medical delivery system is one of the best in the country. I know there will always be exceptions and problems but overall they are supposedly a true role model.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
The new head of the VA is a retired Army four star (former Chief of Staff). Hopefully he can get in a clean up the mess.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Benniner1
Established Member

M.O.C. #4770
I receive treatment from the VA and must say it is the best I have ever received. I use to get it from civil doctors and was pleasantly surprised when I switched to VA.
Benniner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have to agree with Dennis as to the handouts that administrators and their staff all get! It's not just the VA but all government agencies and civilian companies also! It's the working person and the VA patient that takes it in the shorts in most cases when it comes to their treatment by management. I realize there are many of us that go to the VA and I also have had no problems with the staff there! It's been several years since I've been to the VA but the service I received was excellent and the staff was as professional as could be expected. The biggest problem is that at the end of the year if the government agencies or the inter organizations of private business do not use all of the money allotted to them, they normally get that deducted from the next years allotment. If those incharge of the budget see this they don't get as much the next year. If they want the same money they spend it or use it for foolish or unnecessary uses and that's been going on eversince the idea of the allotments came to be. I have no idea how to correct this but someone somewhere needs to get their s--t together and start seeing this and doing somthing about it! It's no different that our Congressmen and their staff members getting FREE lunches daily at the cafeterias just because they are CONGRESSMEN or that THEY give themselves raises and benefits without giving them to the rest of their constituents. Why don't they go on Social Security like the rest of us? Why do they get the same pay they got as a Congressman for the rest of their lives after they leave office and why do their spouses get that same pay for the rest of their lives after the Congress persons death? OK, OK I'm off my soapbox and gone!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Interesting information....... http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscong...ongresspay.htm
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This is as of 2006 - last figures quoted. Any changes in the three years since then, I wonder?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Interesting information....... http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscong...ongresspay.htm
Interesting? Hardly. Seeing as how it's been going on since the very first politician was elected to office it's barely worth mentioning.
That link was to a 2006 report and I doubt a 2009 report would read much different except of course for the $$$ figures.

Now we can all sit here and p!$$ and moan but what's the point. Sooner or later you will find you are p!$$ing into the wind.

I do believe now that we are posting links to what is going on in "congress" this has definitely become a political post. I do feel it is time for it to be locked TIGHT.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I'm Retired Army (26 Years) and went to VA in Feb 93. I haven't been back. But thats my choice, don't really know what goes on there? As for being Political, I believe thats what wrong now most aren't following what is happening in this Country. Very Sad. GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Excuse me..That is a 2009 link. Don't mean to be political. Just meant to be informative and perhaps dispel some misunderstanding's.

I noted that Rondo was miss informed on some congressional issues and thought the link would be of some help to clear things up.

As for the VA I am in the Group 8 category and do not qualify for benefits. The VA seems to be doing a good job but there is always room for improvement.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Between Cathy and I, we have over 41 years of military service. Cathy is a VA recepient and has had good success with her medical care. I elected to stay in the military health care system, however, this winter I am planning on converting to VA. Please don't judge the entire system by a few crooks, they are everywhere. The VA continues to get better and better. I think they do a good job (maybe not great) for the number of people they care for. I also think a lot of recepients are abusing the system. I do not believe this is a political thread as most VA employees are hired and not elected or appointed. IMHO!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Rich for posting what you did and I stand corrected on several of my comments but I still think most of us are not looking into what our representatives in DC are doing and how they vote on issues! I'm not trying to be political here but being a former union steward and officer I try to keep informed of what is going on back in DC both for the union and my own welfare! Appaarently I have not kept abreast of or read enough on the subject.
Back to the subject of this thread-- There are always a few bad apples in each barrel and the VA is no exception. As I said earlier, I have had no problems with the service I've had from the VA and being Post Commander for my local American Legion Post now, I keep a real close eye on what the VA is doing and what Congress is doing for the Vets of any of the wars or conflicts. I receive a monthly newsletter from both my County Veterans Service Officer and the State American Legion office in Lincoln and also read the Legion magazine and State newspaper from front to back and hope to learn more from those that are in DC fighting for the rights of our Service Men/Women and our Veterans that have served our country unselfishly over the years. I really regret reading the Honor Roll each month of the deaths of those that gave so much for us and our country to come home and never be honored except for the possible military ceremony at graveside and the possible marker placed by their grave (which some cemeteries will not even allow anymore). It is not right that these great people, men and wowmen, be forgotten! I will try in all my power to see to it that these courageous individuals, whether they were in combat or not, are honored by me and those around me! I hope you all will do the same! They deserve that and much more!!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Being retired military, I've been to the VA for medical assistance, only to verify service-connected disability. They left too much to be desired for me. I haven't been back since 1985. I'll stay with my military retirement medical (Tricare 4 Life), thank you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #16
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Due to service connected disabilities, I visit the VA once a year at their request. When they finally concurred that my hips were shot in 2002, they told me that the wait time to get them fixed was one year or more. I said thank you and used other means available and had the first one done in 30 days. The VA system is overwhelmed and and I choose to get treatment elsewhere. For me it is more timely and opens the VA door to a vet who might not get assistance elsewhere. As I am also retired military, I can also use the local Army medical center at Ft. Bragg, but again I use my local civilian physician as their office is more accessible. Both the Army and VA also bill my BCBS when I visit even though the visits pertain to service connected disabilities. Lastly, the health care I receive at both the VA and Army has been outstanding and I praise their professionalism.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a close family member who worked in The VA system (medical staff) his entire career primarily at the Butler Health care center facility, Butler PA. We also had occasion to visit both Walter Reed and Bethesna over the years. There is always fault to be found in any large organization and the VA is no different. Being a Government entity they are always subject to political and budgetary issues. We call for budget cuts and less Government spending but pay little attention as to where those cuts may occur. Corners should not be cut when it comes to care for our Veterans and we should make our representatives understand that.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Couldn't have said it better Rich! If only our representatives saw what they were doing when cutting the VA budgets or allotments I think they'd change their mines!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In reading the article, it is not discussing the VA benefits or actions of the working part of the VA, it is communicating the questionable bonus and benefit misuses that NO private, public or government company should allow. The tragedy is that there have been enough stories of Veterans awaiting benefits and here is a story about the IT department that processes things like this and they are awarding themselves bonuses, using funds in a questionable or inefficient manner. Sounds like the first of the cuts should be with the excessive bonus handouts. Anyone getting bonuses especially with that frequency and amount in a time when deserving others are not getting what they are even DUE, is so wrong it is almost criminal.

The point is if this kind of crap goes on in less visible departments, there might be some wrong-doing in critical places that Veterans legitimately complain about. Bringing up wrongdoing is not political, it just ain't right or nice. Anymore than good things we post for Veterans in this forum are not political, but right or nice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge
The point is if this kind of crap goes on in less visible departments, there might be some wrong-doing in critical places that Veterans legitimately complain about. Bringing up wrongdoing is not political, it just ain't right or nice. Anymore than good things we post for Veterans in this forum are not political, but right or nice.
Concur with you 100%. Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote