Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
What's Your Latest "Senior Moment"

Waynem's post on his neigbour's electrical problem reminded me of an earlier thread on embarrassing moments. I thought a new thread would give us all a chance to laugh at ourselves.

Two weeks ago I was mounting new tires on new rims for my son's Jeep TJ which he just had lifted 2 inches. I had a little problem with getting the initial seal when inflating on the first tire but a bit of wiggling and it filled fine. The next two were easy. The last one just wouldn't seal-up no matter what I tried, including the rope around the tire trick. One of my co-workers came over to give me a hand and we still couldn't get the beads to catch. He leaned back to take a rest after we wriggled that tire for the 5th time. He started to laugh. I had neglected to take the valve out of the valve stem. I felt like a prize donkey. The lunchroom needles were sharp and ready.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Senior moment? I'm sure I have had one but I forgot.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
My son 24 yrs old, Army 82nd Airborne vet and now a rock climber. His girlfriend also a climber. Me 52yrs alittle out of shape and ............... well you get it. So I walk into my garage and their doing pull ups, A lot of them. so I watch and watch and watch. Regular pull ups finger tip pull ups all kinds. Now i get to thinkin they got to be tired. So I push out my chest (52 year old chest)
and do alittle trash talkin. All of a sudden it was my turn. Hey I did a few. THEN THEY DID MORE, THIS TIME JUST SQUEEZING THE SIDES OF THE GRIP! i couldn't even get my feet off the ground.
Boy did i feel old. But i told then when i was your age I could .................................. I'm glad they respect me.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Today when setting up the new rig I couldn't understand why the slides weren't going out. I was pushing the button in the right direction - "extend", and extend it did. The awning was deploying just like it is supposed to. Duh.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Running into the hitch that I knew perfectly well was there and that It is a really, really dumb thing to do. Six stitches in upper lip and loss of mustache.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well let's put it this way-- one should never go out on a Nebraska sunny day and work outside all day long! It got up to 90+ today and I was out at the farm trying to get the lawn and orchard mowed! Yah, you guessed it-- I decided to take my shirt off and now I look like a tomatoe! I should have known better since this happens every year to me the first time it's warm out and I'm working outside! I guess the "senior moment" just creeps in and you don't have an idea it will ever happen! "Maybe it's Oldtimers" instead of the senior mowent! Anyway, I'm sitting here at the computer and hoping it goes away overnight which I know it won't but I can hope anyway!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For me every moment is a senior moment.

One thing I didn't mention about my trip the last few days happened on Sunday morning. After leaving the CG I had just turned onto the interstate ramp when I looked into my rear view mirror. I noticed that both barn doors were swing open and closed. I immediately pulled onto the shoulder, got out and checked. Fortunately nothing fell out and I closed and LOCKED the doors and I was back on the road.
It is always Lorraine's job to double check and lock all compartment doors which she did. But after she did her job I had to put my pliers away. I unlocked the door, put the pliers inside, got distracted. You can guess the rest.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
As far as I know, my last memorable or senior moment was when I got in a hurry and un-hooked the Monty. I dropped it on my previous truck. Fortunately though there wasn’t much damage to amount to anything.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Does frantically running through a department store, trying to retrace my path and locate my missing glasses--my missing NEW glasses--which were perched on my head count as a senior moment?

Or, how about coming out of the teacher's bathroom in my glamorous new ankle-length skirt, the one covered in sequins and beads (I'm so in style these days), the back of which was securely tucked up into my undies, count? Thank goodness a fellow teacher grabbed me before I strolled into my classroom. I think it put a whole new meaning into "Letting it all hang out."

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This morning!

DW wants to wash clothes (we have the combo) so I need to open the gray valve because it is where the combo feeds into. Well, I'll just flush everything since we've been here 3 nights. Everything is going fine and I reach in to get my second hose to attach to the black tank flush and I notice my brand new slinky holder is not there. I did a second look, and a third, then shrugged it off as having left it at the last CG. Darn! I'll have to use the old broken one, or/and buy a new one. Then I noticed the little orange snap hook that holds it together when traveling is laying there. Well darn! I remember that at the last campground I rinsed off the pine needles and sand. Well duh! I must have left it on the ground to dry. Oh well, I'll just use the old one or/and buy a new one.

As I turn to walk away, double duh, the slinky support is on the ground where it is supposed to be, holding the slinky up!

Ah! But the day is young, it's only 0945 hours right now. I have a lot more time for these dumb moments.

Thanks for this thread, I'm sure I can learn something from it if I remember to read it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
While getting into the basement on the driver side I make a mental note to put a bumper on the bedroom slide. After finding what ever it was that I was there for I turned around and took a quick step into the corner of the slide. The gash on my forehead healed in about two weeks but the memory is still with me every time I get into that side of the basement.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
The other day I took my 86 y/o mother, who is in her 9th week of a broken hip recovery, to the grocery store. I went inside and got her a electric shopping cart that she could drive. One of those where you turn the handbar grip forward to go forward, and turn it toward you to back up. After shopping through about half the store (stopping and and starting several times) she turns to me a says "I don't know how to stop this" and I tell her to turn back on the handle and all is fine. Well I am thinking the old gal is losing it due to her age. We check out and the groceries are put in white plastic bags and placed in the basket infront of the handlebars, at which time we go out to the truck and I help her into the passenger seat and I take the cart back into the store and plug it in to the electric outlet for the next customer. As I am walking back out to the truck, my mother is pointing and pointing at something and I don't have a clue what she is saying. I open the passenger door to see whats the matter and she says "I want my groceries" I say "what?" and she tells me that I left the groceries in the cart. I went back in the store and sure enough there they were right in the cart in their white bags, right in front of the handlebars as I drove the cart into the store. Must be I'm losing it because of my age........... Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had several moments. My worst one was, if I remember (?), was in 2004. We had arrived at the Elks club in Caldwell, ID, unhooked the truck and just pulled away far enough to raise the front end of the rig. The tailgate was down.

My wife's laptop crashed and she wanted to go into Boise to get another laptop before Best Buy closed (they closed at 6 pm) and we had about an 1 1/2 hours to get there. No problem, right?

We went out and as I ducked under the overhang, I threw the tailgate up into the locked position, got in, started the truck, put it in gear! Crash, boom, bang!! The king pin caught the tailgate and bent it almost beyond recognition. In the process, it pulled the outside edges of the truck box inward a little so that when I went to buy a louvered tailgate, the one designed for the truck wouldn't fit.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, a good friendly mechanic in Louisville, KY saw what the problem was and proceeded to pull outward on each side of the box until the new tailgate fit. I couldn't believe that it was that easy to move the sides of the box. But then, he was a big man!

Hope I never have that kind of senior moment again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote