Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
GFCI outlets stopped working?

I know this has been talked about here but I cannot locate the thread. Anyone know where it might be.

Today all of my GFCI outlets stopped working. I pressed the trip button on the one by the bath sink. I checked all my fuses and and I flipped breakers in fuse box and main breaker. The one thing that does happen is that when I press in the button on the main GFCI outlet by the bath sink, the small lamp plugged into the GFCI outlet on the opposite wall gives off one flicker of light.

Any opinions?

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wish Al was here to help ya with this, but in his absense, if those GFCI were popping a lot, they might be worn out?? And need replacing. One of ours just failed for no reason, started making this horrid screaming screaching high pitched noise. Replaced, no noise since, better yet, the new one allows plugs to be plugged in easily. The old one was horrible, could barely plug in the toaster!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks, Carol. I was hoping to NOT have a project this weekend!

But I use these outlets a lot so maybe that's it. I do hope it's that simple. Ask Al how difficult they are to replace. Probably have to buy at RV Parts place too. Would I just have to replace the main one with the trip switch on it to make the rest work again?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al is not here, and I cannot reach him, I will answer what I can

I watched him replace, was NOT hard, it is akin to replacing any wall plug, with the reminder to watch that wiring, I think it is a bit different to make it a GFI. Did not take him long at all, minutes.

He bought at a Sears or Lowe's or Home Depot or something, NOT a RV place.

Last question, not sure. I think it would, if the main one is popping out that little red indicator, then the rest of the plugs on that line will NOT work. If you fix the main one, the others should work, IF that was the REAL problem. That is how it works in my stick built. IF the GFI pops, nothing else that is wired in that line will work till I get the GFI functioning again.

Disclaimer, I am NOT the electrician, only married to him!

Sorry bout your weekend!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, the patio outlet is part of the gfci circuit. Our patio outlet does not have the cb button on it but maybe yours does? Or maybe you're getting moisture in that outlet? A long shot but something to check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks, Steve. It is quite possible I'm getting moisture in that outlet. It's has been raining, raining, and raining here from the northern bands of Rita and the awning is up due to wind gusts.

The outlet cover was partially opened because of the cord going to my water feature. I unplugged it yesterday when I realized that was not a good thing with the awning up. When I came home last night I gave the reset button next to the sink another try and the GFCI outlets started working again. The outlet next to the bath sink is the only GFCI that has a reset button.

I think I will pick up another "main" GFCI outlet package to have on hand just in case they stop working again.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
When the GFCI breaks the circuit the load (or short) has exceeded the capacity of the breaker. As Carol said the CFCI may be worn and is breaking at a lower capacity. The other thing to check is figure out all the protected circuits and unplug anything in those outlets before you reset the GFCI. Then plug them back in one at a time until you find the cause.
The wet outside plug could very well be the source of your problem. It should have a pretty good seal to keep water from getting in the outlet so you may want to fix that or replace it with a better outdoor fixture.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote