Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brake Controller

I need to look into getting a new brake controller. There are 3 that I was looking at Prodigy, Genesis and Tekonsha. What kind do you all have and what are your opionons on these if you dont mind saying.

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Tekonsha and love it. I had talked with many folks on their brake controllers and found that 2 out of 3 were running the Tekonsha over the Prodigy. I have never run the prodigy so my experience is only with the one I have currently.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
As with many things, the one a person has will be the one he/she supports. Having said that, I did switch from the regular Tekonsha to the Prodigy. I do like the additional features (especially the diagnostics) of the Prodigy, but both have done the job for me. I would, spend the extra $ if I were needing to replace mine, but I probably would not replace my Tekonsha with a Prodigy if the Tekonsha were still working. (Gosh, that was a wordy paragraph!)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
I have used Tekonsha and Prodigy and prefer prodigy over the two mainly because I set the prodigy and never have to adjust it. For myself simple is good. I suggest research because there are better controllers out there. Prodigy and Tekonsha are good for the price but there are very good controllers in different price ranges. Example(Jordan and Brakesmart)
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tekonsha is the brand and Prodigy is one of their models. I've used a number of Tekonsha's controllers over the years and the Prodigy was head and shoulders above any of them in my opinion. There are other good brands, too, like Jordan. But the Prodigy is a simple connect and, like Serenity said, is set and forget. It also works in reverse. If I were in the market for an aftermarket controller I'd buy the Prodigy again. All this just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I've used other Tekonsha models and now the Prodigy. I agree the best part is not having to reset or adjust it. A close second are the diagnostics particularly the indication that you are "connected".
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:35 AM   #7
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Prodigy (by Tekonsha) hands down. This is my second controller (had a Kelsy-Hayes) and all of the previous comments apply - simple to install, simple to use, and works as advertised...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:09 AM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I just ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy last week from RV Warehouse in Ohio. It was shipped in 2 days to my Aunt`s in Mich. She will bring it over this weekend and I will install it. I have the Tekonsha Voyager right now but I find it brakes very jumpy. I`ve tried adjusting a 100 times, its either not enough or it brakes to hard. I took of the brake drums and checked the brakes and magnets and everything looks fine. Put on my respirator and blew air from the compressor to clean it out and they are still very touchy. I`ll keep it as a backup(Voyager)I hope the Prodigy stands up to its reputation.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Campbud,
Your signature doesn't indicate what TV you have, but the picture looks like a GM or Chevy. If so, Teknonsha makes a connector wire with the proper ends to connect directly from the Prodigy to the receptacle that is located under the dash just above the driver's left foot. This means no splicing of wires anywhere. I love my Prodigy: no muss, no fuss, set it once and it works.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have the Prodigy and am very happy with it. Easy to setup, simple to operate and the boost functions give the added security you need on steep down grades. If you need to use brakes at all, prefer the engine / transmission type for most conditions.

The prodigy is basically set and forget. When I upgraded my trailer from 7800 lbs to the 3280RL at 11190 lbs it took about 2 minutes to adjust the Prodigy for the new trailer.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

Campbud,
Your signature doesn't indicate what TV you have, but the picture looks like a GM or Chevy. If so, Teknonsha makes a connector wire with the proper ends to connect directly from the Prodigy to the receptacle that is located under the dash just above the driver's left foot. This means no splicing of wires anywhere. I love my Prodigy: no muss, no fuss, set it once and it works.
Likewise for the Ford if you have the tow package. The connector is under the dash, or was on the two I had the Prodigy in. Also, a connector comes with the tow package in case you prefer to splice wires yourself instead of buying the connectors from Tekonsha. It will be either in the glove box or under the backseat. It has the mate to the connector under the dash, same as the Tekonsha cable would but you would have to splice to the Prodigy wires (not a big deal at all). If you don't have the tow package I don't think you have the wiring and connector.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Thanks everyone I decided to go with the prodigy...I will let you know how it works for me.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
I vote for the prodigy hands down. Set it and forget it..
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote