Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Dust covers on EZ lube axles

My 05 came with the EZ lube (buddy bearing) axles. I really didn't pay much attention until I seen my buddies Everest that he had caps that covered the hole in the wheel center cap, which hid the grease fitting on the hub. Did mine just get left off? Or did Keystone leave the caps off of the Montana?

Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
There is supposed to be a rubber plug in the dust cover on the hub which covers the grease zerk. The trim cap that fits into the wheel and covers the hub-dust cover has a hole in it so that you can get to the rubber plug
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Ahh, the trim cover is what I am missing! I will call my dealer and see what they say
Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:44 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I have the Alko E-Z Lube axles - bought the RV "previously loved". The dust covers were cracking and one was missing, so I contacted Alko and asked if I could buy some. They sent me some FREE !!! Another great Montana moment (even though it was the axle folks)!!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
My dust covers were cracking as well, my dealer actually stocks them, they are like 80 cents a piece, I think, good that you got them for free though.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Chad........your chrome caps will not have a cover for them. Also, be sure you don't try and grease those hubs too soon. I have an '05 also, figured it had been pulled from the factory to Colorado, back and forth to the RV show where I saw it, etc. Thought I'd give those things a couple of squirts of grease for good measure. One of them pushed through the seal and I ruined a set of brake pads. No warranty for oversight, so it cost me $200.00+. I had the dealer do it so the warranty wouldn't be jeopardized.....there are always too many loopholes as it is.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Two squirts, once per year, fulltiming or not. That's what my dealer has told me over and over. During a year of fulltiming I did two squirts TWICE in a year, thinking the extra miles called for more grease. Wrong. When we had our brakes checked our dealer told me I'm overgreasing them and reiterated two squirts once per year. So that's now what I do. YMMV.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote