Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 04:47 AM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Towing a double

We have an '05 2955RL. We would like to tow our 19' I/O boat behind. Has anyone mounted a tow hitch on the rear of this model, and how does it work for you? There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to work with to mount a hitch, and the fresh water tank is very close to the I beam.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hello Clyde-
I'm not sure but I think this subject has been visited here before and best I remember about the discusssions was that attaching a hitch and pulling behind the Monty voids the warranty on the trailer. This is something you might want to check on. I pulled tandem on other trailers for many years and had no problems. There is a max length in Texas of 65' and I would be well over this limit with what I have now.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
There is an overall limit here in Florida too. Go here it will tell you rv laws by state http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
State limit here in Colorado is 70', as well as adjoining states I would encounter if I did this. (I would be about 69'.) Wouldn't be a very common deal, maybe 2 trips a year about 225 miles one way on the interstate. Interesting about voiding the warranty though, as I discussed it with the salesman and the service manager at our dealer a few times, and they've never mentioned a warranty issue.
Clyde
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Your best bet would be to call Montana directly and ask their customer service. I never trust a dealer since many of them will say just about anything to make a sale.
That being said, I remember someone asking that question during our tour of the factory last year and the response was that it will void the warranty.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
My understanding is that it will void the frame warranty. Maybe MIMF can shed some light on this as he works for Lippert who I believe is the frame manufacturer.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just about every state has length limits. Some also prohibit doubles other than commercially. So be sure to check the state laws.

I used to tow a 19' bassboat behind a 25 1/2 foot fifthwheel (not a Montana) with an F150 supercab shortbed truck. That combination was 64' 10", bumper to prop. Kansas law says 65' max. So I was very close. But nobody ever checked me. I even blew a tire on the boat trailer and couldn't tell it. I was cruising about 65 mph on I70 and got pulled over by a highway patrolman who asked me if it's customary to tow the trailer with no tire on one rim (funny guy, huh?). He then got out his own jack and helped me put on the spare but he never once asked me about length.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote