Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
What is PRI=D

Just what is PRI-D Diesel Treatment? We bought our 2003 w/35000 miles last year, now it has 45,681 miles on it. Everything according to dealer was updated and changed befor purchase. We will be taking it in this fall for a "check up" for winter trip South. Should we be concerned?
Haven't had any problems. Rides/drives like a dream. Get about 18 mpg unloaded and about 12 mpg loaded. According to read out we have 65% of oil usage left. According to sticker we should have oil changed at 46,440 miles. This is our first diesel. Can these gauges be trusted or should we automatically change oil every 5000 miles?

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For my 2003 Duramax, Chevy recommends oil change very 10,000 miles. Considering they built the truck and THEY carry the warranty on the engine for 100,000 miles I follow their expert advice. Now I know you will get different opinions but unless these opinions come from mechanics who are as well versed in the Duramax as the manufacturer their advise is just an opinion. No more no less!!!!!

You can read all about PRI-D here----http://www.priproducts.com/
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run my oil changes every 3,000 miles no matter what. IN MY OPINION, I spent the money on the truck to start with, what is $49.88 for an oil change? I like to think of it as preventative problem solving. As Glenn said, the Duramax does have a 100K warranty but that does not cover the entire motor. It only covers about 1/2 the motor. I guess the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. I am sure you will be nothing but happy with your Duramax, this is my second one and know there will be a third and fourth. Enjoy!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We do oil changes at 5000 on ours. That's just the point I feel comfortable with. This truck has never ever been below the full mark when that 5k rolls around and never has had any oil added between changes. Same with the 2003 6.0 we had. We put 51k on that truck so I figure we must be doing ok.

Syplace, can you clarify what you are looking at that tells you you have 65% oil usage left? The only gauge of this type on the engine I know about is for the air filter. Is there something here I'm not aware of? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
On the GM trucks we have an onboard computer called the Driver Information Center (DIC). They buttons for them are located on our steering wheel and this center tells us almost everything you can imagine on the truck. It ranges from, Avg MPG, distance till empty, number of gals of fuel used, instant mpg, 3 trip odometers, oil life of current oil in engine, number of hours engine has run since birth, stop clock that can be reset for trips. Plus all the options for lights, the remote keyfob, the list just goes on and on.
Syplace, I do look at the oil life option on the truck but do not ever really follow it for my duramax. I do follow it on my Envoy as that rig is not used for any towing, just a daily run around suv. Again, pretty much go with what you are comfortable with.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry, Montana Sky. For some reason I thought Syplace was talking about a Ford. My mistake. Mine has most of those things on the onboard computer in the instrument cluster, too, but doesn't have the oil life remaining. That's an interesting feature. Is it based on mileage or on some kind of lubricity measurement?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
From what I have been told, but someone here might know more than I and will correct me if I am wrong. The oil life remaining takes everything into consideration to come up with when it is time to change the oil. It uses throttle position, engine temps, speeds, hours run on the motor, mileage and so on... From what the guys at the GM shop tell me it is usually within 100 miles of accuracy and is very reliable. I do watch it but sure dont follow it, I will stick with the 3,000 mile oil changes no matter what. I should also mention I am running traditional oil used for diesels, have not switched to synthetic yet.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 AM   #8
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Thank you for all your responses. This truck has so many bells and whistles and we haven't figured out how most of them work. We did learn the hard way about the heated seats. Hubby accidently started his up when he got in the drivers seat and within half hour couldn't figure out why his back was sweating Now he makes sure his hand does't get close to those controls when he get in the truck.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Oil changes are cheap insurance.
On my 96 Ford I had 237,000 miles on it and changed every 5,000, my 2003 I changed every 5,000, but it was not the truck the 1996 was so I traded it in and now the proud owner of a Chevy Duramax and plan on changing every 5.000.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Steve, I have been told the same as Montana Sky reported. Evan though I chage every 3,000 the computer always says 60% remaining for oil life. Amazing.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Forgot to mention that I do the 3,000 mile oil change because the old diesel truck I had (late 1980s) would turn the oil jet black just driving around the block. Guess I am old and connot chage. With this Duramax at 3,000 the oil looks almost a clear as when I put it in. Somehow I think the first posting on this thread was about an additive for fuel. PDR ? We got off subject.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the info. With 65% left at 3000, that would come out to recommending a change at 7500. I'd have to look at the manual since I forgot the numbers for mine but I use the numbers for 'severe duty' since we do a lot of towing with ours. The computer info is a nice feature.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
The Gm manufacturer and Duramax state that the first oil should be changed when the oil life depleates on the onboard computer or 1 year. Crazy huh? But thats what the book states in black and white.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote