Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
How to cut Acrylic sheet?

I need a good way to cut some Acrylic sheet. I tried scoring it with a razor knife and snaping it. I got really lucky on the first piece. Second piece cracked way off the line but I was able still use it if I can cut it properly. Need some ideas or tips.

First piece was for a back splash behind the stove. Second piece is for the lower part of the screen door, to keep the dogs from scratching at the screen.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
They make a scribing blade just for scoring plex. It will fit in your utility knife but it is hooked and it scraped plex out of the kirf. It really helps if you have the right tools. Also have a sharp edge to break it over. Saber saws and Dremel tools work but end up melting the plex too, which is pretty messy..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
We used to cut acrylic sheet on a table saw, just make sure to leave the protective film on to minimize scratching.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We put the plexi in our door and I googled it. It said to use a scroll saw and add water and baking soda in a bottle and pour it on the blade as you cut to keep the plastic from melting. Hubby cut and I poured as we went along and yes left the paper on. Keeps it from smoking and melting. It worked very well. We also used plexi glass cleaner we got from the Harly Shop that cleans and shines it well with little streaks. Good luck.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you figure it out I would sure like to know. I have tried it numerous times with the special scoring knife they sell along side the acrylic plates. Have rarely had one break straight along the line. Have even tried scoring it on both sides. No luck.

I have cut it with a fine tooth blade on a sabre saw. Works but is only as straight as you can keep the saw straight.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Thanks a bunch for the tips. Never thought about using coolant when cutting plastic with a jigsaw. Makes a lot of sense though. I tried my skill saw and my blades are much to agressive for it. Should be able to get the job done now. Thanks again......
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Score it several times make the score deep and you will get a clean break. I just use the tool that is made for Plexiglas
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I used a scroll saw with a fine blade and cut slowly. Didn't use any sort of coolant. It cut just fine.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

We put the plexi in our door and I googled it. It said to use a scroll saw and add water and baking soda in a bottle and pour it on the blade as you cut to keep the plastic from melting. Hubby cut and I poured as we went along and yes left the paper on. Keeps it from smoking and melting. It worked very well. We also used plexi glass cleaner we got from the Harly Shop that cleans and shines it well with little streaks. Good luck.
Unless you are using a cordless saw, I would be very cautious about using water around a 110 volt saw!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
I just remembered that when cutting vinyl siding we used to reverse the blade on the saw. This may work for sheet acrylic as well, but I've never tried this.

As posted earlier, I've always had good results with a table saw and have cut many sheets of .100 and 1/4" material. Regarding the exposed edges, they can be sanded smooth.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I just happened to be going into town today and stopped at Home Depot. Picked up a cutting tool for the Acrylic sheel. Not the easiest thing to use but it did the job better than my utility knife. Rounded the edges and cornrers fith a file. Now I need to get out the Velcro.