Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Garbage Disposal Anyone

Anyone have any ideas/comments on installing a garbage disposal. I've been thinking about doing this for some time. There is plenty of room under the small side of the sink, power available, and place for a switch. Extra water usage is of no concern. I don't boon dock. Some high end units have these, so I'm wondering why not.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Personally, I'd rather have the space for storage. But if you want it...do it!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My concern is the Galley tanks are designed to hold and pass water. I am not sure they would do well holding chopped up food.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Gotta go with John on that one. A slurry of food draining through a relatively level small diameter drain pipe would appear to be asking for problems.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Yea, but. Your sink drain at home is the same size and if you ever looked at how fine a good disposal chops up the food, it's more of a fine slurry than chunks. The two inch dump valve should handle it, particularly if you keep your dump valve closed until the tank is almost full before dumping. I'm up in the air on this one.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm not sure I'd say the drain at home is the same as the trailer. At home there's no holding tanks where ground up stuff can sit and collect and stink and harden and be hard to remove. I don't think all this debris floats. It already takes me too long to clean out my tank with minimal solids. putting this junk in there without some consideration for guaranteeing this gets evacuated from the tank and you may asking for a bigger problem.

It's taken me forever to teach everyone in the trailer to use the garbage can for garbage and not use the plumbing. I've fixed too many garbage disposal problems at stickhouses to know I wouldn't want this problem in my Monty. I wonder what RVs equipped with GDs do about this?

To make this work, I think the bottom of the tank needs to be angled further downward, the kitchen gray tanks need to remain open and lots and lots of water used to ensure the debris gets flushed out of the interior pipes, then the tank and then the drain hoses to the dump. I also think you can no longer use the bellows style drain hoses in favor of solid wall pipes or run a macerator all the time. Then if you boondock are there extra considerations? This is why I prefer the current method since it saves time and wear and tear on the rig.

I reiterate this is only my opinion.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would think since some high end units already do install them, that they must work OK. I doubt they install special galley tanks for that purpose.
But still, I would think there may be the possibility of the sludge settling to the bottom after a day or two and not completely flushing out. Putting some fresh water in the galley tank after draining and leaving it during travel would probably stir it up enough for a clean dump at your next destination.
Just not convinced either way on this one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I AM the garbage disposal. DW puts it in the garbage and I dispose of it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
"I would think since some high end units already do install them, that they must work OK." My response to this is that they put them in because it is a selling point and will do anything to make you feel that you are "home"and if that is the trip point for you to buy,they have done their job.Doesn't mean it is right.Remember the remote control thermostats??
BB TEX, please nothing personal on your post,just another view.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Having dealt with plumbing problems in restaurants over the years, I know what some drain lines get to looking like if they don't drain rapidly. Having dealt with garbage disposal issues at home I know that decisions on what to put down there can, at times, be governed by convenience and a desire to dispose of something quickly and not a regard for what happens next. I wouldn't put one in, but that's just me and my frame of reference.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

My concern is the Galley tanks are designed to hold and pass water. I am not sure they would do well holding chopped up food.
X2.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote