Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Rodents

Hi All We have been here in the Picacho Az are for five weeks. We are having problems with Mice. They are in every trailer the company owns and the three fifth wheels. We tried the conventional traps and they cleaned them out with out a trace of them. We bought an electronic one and it got one. that was two weeks ago. We then added plastic ones that look something like a huge chothes pin. They clean it off without distrubing the trap. How have you rid your trailer of these pest? P.S We also tried the bonce softener sheet didn't work.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
I had one troublesome rodent who repeatedly cleaned off my traps in the pantry. So I lined up three traps, touching each other and facing the wall, with bait on only the middle trap.

SNAP!

Got him that night as he walked across an outside trap to get to the middle one.

Years ago, I was sleeping in the sleeper sofa of my SOB motorhome (hated the bed) and dreamed that someone was pulling my hair. I woke up and looked... and there went a little gray blur, under the bed. Sure enough, a mouse had been stealing my hair for a nest. And I don't have that much to spare!
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
try the glue traps and peanut buttter in the traps
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
...or adopt a cat!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
12 Guage?
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Army surplus flame thrower?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We use combo of all kinds of traps, box traps, spring traps, sticky traps. Peanut butter for bait.

Be very careful of the poisons if you have kids or pets.

radioattic, ewwwwwwwwwwwww, that would put my sooooo outta my comfort zone! Shudder, shudder.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Peppermint oil from the health food store. A few drops on a couple of cotton balls and placed where the little buggers frequent the most. The stuff is expensive but seems to work.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by radioattic

Sure enough, a mouse had been stealing my hair for a nest. And I don't have that much to spare!
Eww. Years ago we had a short haired pointer dog named Fritz. I let him out in the backyard for his duties and he came back in with a string hanging from his mouth. I was annoyed because he was always chewing our youngest son's toys. I grabbed the string and pulled. To my utter horror it was a dead gopher. I screamed and jumped up and down. The family came roaring in to find me up on the kitchen counter. And, poor Fritz. Here he thought he was bringing me such a great prize. Can't imagine a LIVE mouse in bed with me!
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
After finding a couple of feet in one, I don't use the glue pads anymore. The age old wire traps baited with peanut butter seem to work as well as anything. Put them against the wall, as mice do not like to stray far into the open.

You might want to post some small signs saying "Free meals" with arrows to the traps, and of course since you're in AZ, make sure the signs are bi-lingual. (Yes, I do have a sick sense of humor).

Or you could buy a rat snake...

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709

If you tie a piece of ham or any kind of meat to the trigger of the trap with some sewing thread they won't be able to steal the bait and it will get them every time. We avoid the use of poisons because they'll crawl away and die and they will stink. Get some steel wool and stuff it in all the holes in the floor to keep them from getting in. As stated before, you can't keep them from getting in the "belly" of the trailer. There are large holes in the frame where the slide cylinders go through.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
I have used the old snap traps with success using peanut butter or a little bacon grease for bait. Glue traps with a dab of bait in the center works well also. If your camper is in storage moth balls work great! Put them (moth balls) in a bowl, in a couple places in the basement. Also remember they looking for food--if they smell it they will come in.

If you can get under your camper try to find holes where they are coming in. Use the foam insulation in a can to fill the holes as best as you can. "Great Stuff" can be found at any home store. Try not to get it one you--it is very sticky!
Good Luck!!
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
While in winter storeage, I use the 5 gal bucket trick. It works great. Take a 5 gal bucket, drill a hole 3/8 on each side near top. Take a coffee can, glue the lid on, drill 3/8 hole thru center of top and bottom. Coat the whole can with peanut butter. Run a 3/8 dow rod thru bucket and can so the can will spin like a wheel on an axle. Put 1 gal rv anti freeze in bucket. Run a ramp up to end of dow rod. The mice will smell the P/B, climb up ramp, tite rope the dow rod, climb the coffee can, spin off and drown. The rv antifreeze won't freeze, so they drown and it keeps them from smelling of climbing out. I got tired of checking traps all winter. I caught obout 10 this way. I found no mess anywhere in trailer. They come in, smell the P/B, go right for it and drown. No destruction.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ray, great description

But, still would love to see a photo!

just cause!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote