Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just in time......

Well, it appears that we have come to the Northwest just in time to "enjoy" record breaking cold. A week of weather with the temperatures being in the teens at night has challenged our winter coping skills. Although we keep the rig at around 60 degrees at night and only 65 during the day, we are still consuming about one 30# cylinder of propane every two days and that even though we are supplementing with the fireplace and an additional electric heater.

I am also finding that dumping tanks is a bit more challenging in the cold. We are also using the clubhouse laundry rather than our onboard stackables.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are connected to 50 amps could you invest in additional very good space heaters? Are you paying for your electricity and maybe their cost usage would be less than refilling the propane bottles? If you only pay a fixed fee per night on electricity then room heaters might definitely be more cost effective. DW just put new electric heaters for cold climates and a second A/C for hot climates on MY RV wishlist.

I can imagine dumping the tanks in the cold is not fun. There are also remote valve openers that could set you back but pay for themselves over time. Since my wife does not dump tanks, these are on MY wish list. Note her requested items on my wish list are of higher priority than mine - but isn't that the way it's supposed to be?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Yeah, ain't it a blast! ....an Arctic Blast, that is. It seems that at least every other year now, we get a two week stretch of this stuff in the teens. I think the jet stream patterns have moved south from the normal patterns of previous decades. We seem to have more clear skies and cooler temps, while NorCal gets a lot of the rain that we used to get these past few years.

Brrrr!!! Glad we're in the stick house with the pellet stove and wood stove blazing away right now.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stiles.... Looks like your "warm and toasty package" is not working.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Well, it appears that we have come to the Northwest just in time to "enjoy" record breaking cold. A week of weather with the temperatures being in the teens at night has challenged our winter coping skills. Although we keep the rig at around 60 degrees at night and only 65 during the day, we are still consuming about one 30# cylinder of propane every two days and that even though we are supplementing with the fireplace and an additional electric heater.

I am also finding that dumping tanks is a bit more challenging in the cold. We are also using the clubhouse laundry rather than our onboard stackables.
Shouldn't Al Gore know about this?
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I just called my old neighbor in Placerville, Ca and he said that they had over a foot of the white stuff and lost electricity for a few days. He said thea it snowed down to Citrus Heights near Sacramento. It doesn't do that. When I lived there for 20 years, we might get a dusting at the house once a year. How's that global warming working out???
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Jim I was thinking that same thing about global warming. "LOL" Looking for "27" here tonight.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329

Shouldn't Al Gore know about this?
[/quote]

When presented with information that dosen't agree with your beliefs you simply ignore it.

Right now the Southwest is much nicer than the Northwest. I am glad we are not home in North Idaho right now.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Stiles ... is getting a 100# propane tank in the realm of possibility?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Rich, the "warm and toasty" bit is a matter of definition. Keeping the rig at 60 deg at night and 65 deg in the day is our choice, not because the rig can't be made warmer.

Vickir, because we are in a SKP park, have over stayed the limit, keep getting moved to a new site, and have to apply for a permit to stay longer month-by-month, having a 100# tank to try to move isn't feasible though desirable.

Al Gore has so much invested in his deception that he doesn't want to hear the truth. I am often amazed at the audacity of mankind that really thinks it is in control of the forces of nature.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Even here in north Texas, weatherman said that this the coldest beginning of Dec. ever on record. Below normal almost every day since before Dec. 1.
Global warming by man may or may not be real. I don't think anyone really knows for sure if it is man made or normal cycle. But you can bet the global warming zealots will be quiet for a while if winter continues at this rate.
And remember them saying a couple years ago (after Katrina) that global warming would result in more and larger hurricanes. None hit the US this year. Only a limited number of tropical storms with minor damage. Not much different last year.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, I think 30# in two days is a bit fast. What are the temps? In a similar situation, with temps around 20, we will use one tank in about 3-4 days. If you don't smell propane at all, it has to be all usage. I take it the fridge and WH are on electric? There is not much else I can think of to do. I take it you are not paying for your electric?

Our use of electric heat - fireplace and heaters - make a big difference in the propane use. Not sure why your usage would be that high. There would be no reason for the propane fill to be short...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Our temperatures overnight have been between 13 and 24 degrees for 8 days. It has warmed up about 15 or 20 degrees and usage has declined. Today it has snowed lightly, but did not stick. East of us, around Seattle, there seems to be a heavy snow fall in progress now. I need to travel that way tomorrow to be with a parishioner having surgery. We will see.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, I have my son-in-law watching my propane while it is -1 because I have to tough it out in HI with my wife. It did get around 72 the other day and we thought about getting our sweaters our, however, we didn't bring any. It was around 83 here after church, pleasant out so we spent the day outside relaxing. I will be returning Thursday 17 December around 10:53AM and the temp will be back up to around 40 or so. I can handle that. I think I had great timing, don't you?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yup, great timing. Sounds like you are having a great trip. Congratulations. It was 38 most of the day in Seattle, rainy, but more manageable.