Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Will, you are correct - several dealers used to install tuners, but the factory started making them eat the repair costs. As far as I know, no dealers install them now. I've been told that on 06 and earlier trucks, there are still ways to tell if a tuner has been used, especially on the higher settings. The burn pattern on the piston is supposed to be different (please don't ask how because I don't know squat about diesel burn patterns!) and while the computer may not store what changes have been made, it does store when it was reset, which is what happens when you return to the stock tune.

I wonder what would happen with a used truck that had been run with a tuner and had engine failure 6 months after some poor guy bought the truck? I bet it would be a real can of worms and finger pointing!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Tuners are a real issue with used diesels in my book. I've known hot shot drivers that used them on their rigs. For the average Joe off the street, I just don't think you would ever know. I used to get so amused at the guys on diesel place ridiculing someone who asked if there was a way to disconnect the speedometer. The same guys that would run a truck with the high tune then sell it or trade it in. I believe I would prefer extra miles over a dogged engine or limped tranny.

My truck is out of warranty, and I have considered getting a Predator just for the ability to read and reset any codes, adjust the speedo, and scan all the info the ECM provides. My son bought one, and it will tell you everything about the engine performance.

Seems I saw some pictures somewhere of piston burn patterns that were caused by a tuner. IIRC, it was a TSB to make techs aware of what to look for in failed engines. I am not a diesel expert by any stretch of the imagination. I think I might be able to change the batteries on mine if I had too!

I'm just curious. Anybody know what it would cost to replace the 6.4 now. Seems they used to have to pull the cab off on the 6.0 PS.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Pretty much all engine work on the 6.4L is a cab-off affair. The good news is the 6.4L cabs were built to be removed. The bolts come in from the bottom and the wiring is all quick disconnect. Most shops can remove or install a cab in less than an hour. It does give the mechanic terrific access to the motor.

I saw the invoice on my 6.0L when Ford replaced the engine. It was $13,000. The dealer had to do an estimate of rebuilding using parts (rather than a long block from Ford) and it was over $17,000. I suspect the 6.4L motors are even more expensive.

Having been down this road before, I will not do anything that jeopardizes my warranty.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote