Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Question for the tire experts

Just found a nail in my 3500 DRW (still has air and is usuable will not be towing yet). Will get it fixed but not sure if I should get it plugged or ask for a patch. Suggestions would be appreciated.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Go to a reputable tire shop and have the tire dismounted and repaired from the inside. If the hole is large enough to warrant it, they will use a patch with a stem on it that is pulled through from the inside. The patch portion is glued to the inner liner of the tire with cold vulcanizing cement and the excess stem is clipped off even with the tread. If the hole is small enough to not need the stem, they will use a regular patch and glue it to the inner liner the same way.

A plug installed from the outside is a TEMPORARY repair and intended to allow you to continue on to the closest repair facility.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
LonnieB,
Thanks for the advice. Almost all the repair shopes in my area only want to plug the tire. Now I know what to look for and will keep searching to get the right repair.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
dumb question, did the nail get into the tire or is it just into the thread portion of it? If not it would'nt have done any damage at all.
I just found a screw in mine a couple weeks ago but it was onlt imbedded in the thread portion of the tire,so no harm,no foul.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Patching is always preferable, but as you've found out, sometimes it's hard to find someone who will do it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As Lonnie said, plugging is only a temporary repair and if done incorrectly could actually ruin a perfectly good repairable tire. Any city of any size will have a reputable tire shop that will repair the hole correctly. Get the phone book out and start making calls. They are out there you just have to find them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In Hot Springs, AR a couple months ago, I noticed a rear tire low on the truck. Took it to a local Goodyear dealer and he pulled out a metal rod about 6" long and 1/4" diameter! He dismantled the tire, put in one of the plugs with a stem as LonnieB said, and good to go. A couple thousand miles since then and no leaks at all.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote