Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
National Standard Plumbing Code

I was doing a little research and ran across this interesting code book. It has to do with gas tight sewer fittings. In short it states...mobile homes and travel trailer drain connections...main connections shall be gas tight. (I agree)
It also states that all hoses must be minimum of 3" diameter and have smooth inside.
It sounds like that would eliminate the Sewer solution, macerator systems and even the stinky slinky too, smooth inside? Perhaps the left and right hand haven't talked with each other lately.
Check it out, page 204 18.3.7
http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/Depts...stratedWeb.pdf

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This may get confusing. As I read it, those regulations apply mobile home parks with permanent trailer setups, (in which case it applies to both the park and the trailers), and camping facilities, in which case it applies to the facilities themselves, not the trailers. Therefore it doesn't apply to the things you mentioned because they aren't considered part of the park.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That RVIA sticker on the RV is what regulates the RV industry. It has all those good codes and regs in there...However the standards are voluntary and not enforceable. Just like that sticker on the truck they are not legal requirements and only suggestions so Rv manufacturer's can do whatever they wish. with the standards.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It may be voluntary whether to comply with the RVIA standard, but if the sticker is there, then I would assume that means the standard was complied with, (same with CSA standard sticker that is on ours). ...or am I being too trusting?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
You're being way too trusting, which is what some people count on. Many industry standards are recommendations based on experience, or research, or potential hazards. But, because of the cost of implementation or the specific application which doesn't fit the standards, they can only be recommendations. Some standards are just for show, though, and need to be questioned rather than trusted.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps when touring the factory at the fall rally someone should ask to see the last RVIA inspection report. The look you get will be.
priceless. The sticker is manditory (we pay for it 35.00) and the price just went up. The Manufacturer can comply with they want to... www.RVIA.org

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I don’t intent to start a debate or anything like that. Although, I didn’t read the code on the link that was posted, my thinking would be that they would have to meet the requirement that is on the sticker if they have to place it on the camper during manufacture.