Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Hey Bingo, I missed your input and wit. I don't think I've seen much from you since you were in Las Vegas.

Nice project. If we ever get back to the hills of West Virgina I will expect a boat ride.

Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #22
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Bingo, you’re boat dock is really starting to look like something.
Lots of work! & Lots of Sweat!
Seriously though it really looks great!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For those who are interested, work has been continuing. What I call Phase I of the project is nearing completion. Phase I will allow me to at least put the boat in the water and tie it off out front (all of this is in our front yard). All decking for this phase, steps and the access ramp has been completed. Got three of the four handrails for the steps and ramp completed last night after church. Took the easy way out with 4x4 supports and 2x6 rails. They are stronger and sturdier than the pictures show since the support 4x4's are bolted to the stair and ramp stringers. Parents are coming to visit this weekend and having a few from Church over Monday, so hopefully will be able to get out on the river for the first time this year. Now if I can only figure out when I get to go camping?? Phase I is only about a quarter of the total project, so there is still a lot to be done.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And the best part is that the boat is finally in the water and moored to the part of the dock that is complete. Dw and I took it to the closest ramp this evening and took this year's maiden cruise to the house. The last two photos on the slideshow show the boat in front of the house finally. Still haven't figured out when we are going camping though.....Drat!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Bingo, That is one good looking floating dock. One question, how did you place the pilons?

When we had our fishing camp in NY we had over 500' of floating docks. Every winter everything came out of the water and I do mean everything.
Each section was 16' long and 6' wide. Built out of 2X6s for the frame and the decks were 6'L X 6" X 1". The floation was 55 gallon plastic barrels. 8 of them strapped under each section.
We also had a gas dock. The gas dock was built from the frame of a 45' mobil home. We did leave on axle with tires and wheels for ease of putting in and out. This dock had 25 barrels floating it. On the dock set a standard gasoline pump with the hose and electric running back to shore.
All docks were held in place with 16' X 2" or 2 1/2" galvinized pipes. Total of of 32 pipes.
The gas dock, being it was a trailer, was pulled out and put in on it's wheels but even that wasn't all that easy. Especially if we had a windy day. That 45' monster had a mind of it's own in the wind.
The 16X6 sections were lifted out/in using a front end loader and straps. The total time in the spring for putting in and setting up would take a minimum of 2 to 3 full days and another 2 to 3 full days in the fall. Of course that all depended on weather and wind. April for us was usually a cold, windy, rainy just plain nasty month but we had no choice as the camp opened on May 1st. October was not nearly as bad.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks for the compliments Glenn. The previous owner of the house (we just bought it last July) had the pylons set in the river. My understanding is it was done by a work barge with a crane on it. The same crane placed all of the rock rip-rap on the bank. Ironically, most of the sections of this dock are also 6 x 16. Keep in mind that the dock is only about 1/3 done if you catch the first slide. I could not imagine having to pull it all out of the river. I guess I am fortunate that it is on a flowing river that does not fully freeze. Back to the pylons, they are 40 ft. in length and driven more than 15 feet into the river bed. I think the water depth there is between 10-15 feet leaving about 10 feet visible. Taking a break from construction this weekend as the parents are visiting, we will enjoy a few boat rides however.
Bingo