Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Little Red Light

The monitor which has the lights for my tank gauges also has the switch for my water pump and the inside switch for my hot water heater.

Between the Hot water heater and pump switch is a little Red light. The light seems to only light up when there is no propane gas flow.

Is that the purpose of the light..

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The red light should come on when the hot water heater fires off and is running, after it stops running it goes out if you have it on gas mode.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Bryan & Judy, This is a check light. When you switch the hot water heater on here at the gauges it is using propane to heat the hot water. If for some reason the heater does not light this small light comes on to let you know to try again. Usually flipping the switch a second time will light the heater providing you have your propane tank lines open. We always turn this switch off when traveling. When we are hooked into electric we leave this switch off and use electric to heat hot water (using the rocker switch outside on the heater). If you want to use the propane it heats faster but we have found the electric sufficient. One warning that you will see repeated often here on the forum. NEVER TURN YOUR HOT WATER HEATER ON UNLESS YOU ARE SURE IT IS FULL OF WATER. Doing so will damage the unit. Hope this helps.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Joyce H,
That was a very well-written and helpful response. Good job. Great Forum assist! we haven't used the gas heater so didn't know about the red light. Learned something new. Thanks.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
One more thing on the light. If it stays on after a few attempts at lighting, turn the switch off and call a repair man.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the post. Until now I did not even notice that little light between the switches.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I wonder how many of us did. I actually got up and went and looked. Didn't even know it was there.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Wow,,always something new to learn here
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joyce H

Bryan & Judy, This is a check light. When you switch the hot water heater on here at the gauges it is using propane to heat the hot water. If for some reason the heater does not light this small light comes on to let you know to try again. Usually flipping the switch a second time will light the heater providing you have your propane tank lines open. We always turn this switch off when traveling. When we are hooked into electric we leave this switch off and use electric to heat hot water (using the rocker switch outside on the heater). If you want to use the propane it heats faster but we have found the electric sufficient. One warning that you will see repeated often here on the forum. NEVER TURN YOUR HOT WATER HEATER ON UNLESS YOU ARE SURE IT IS FULL OF WATER. Doing so will damage the unit. Hope this helps.

Great post and I am sure most of us know this but just in case I will post it for first time RVers and people that usually get their winterizing done by a RV dealer.

When you fill your water tank after winterizing, you must make sure your bypass valves are in the correct position to allow the tank to fill but you must also keep a hot water faucet open to allow air to get out of your hot water tank while it is filling. Failing to allow air to escape will air lock your system and your hot water tank will not fill. If you start your propane heater on an empty tank, you will damage it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:10 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Quote:
Originally posted by Joyce H

Bryan & Judy, This is a check light. When you switch the hot water heater on here at the gauges it is using propane to heat the hot water. If for some reason the heater does not light this small light comes on to let you know to try again.
Not to be argumentive about this, but if you check the wiring diagram on the KIB website http://www.kibenterprises.com/pdf/M%...25VWL%20WD.pdf you will see that the "little red light" has two wires going to it, one is for ignition, and the other is for a fault.

I think you will find that normally the red light comes on whenever the heater is in the process of being ignited, usually only for a few seconds at a time. If for some reason the ignition fails, or the flame goes out unexpectedly, then the red light will also come on to warn you of this. So, a few seconds of red light at each ignition event is normal. Prolonged operation of the red light indicates a fault, and should be investigated.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Okay, another dumb question!!
When the HTR rocker is turned on the Water Heater is operating on Gas. With the outside switch turned off.

With the outside switch turned on the heater is operating on electric, RIGHT?

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

Okay, another dumb question!!
When the HTR rocker is turned on the Water Heater is operating on Gas. With the outside switch turned off.

With the outside switch turned on the heater is operating on electric, RIGHT?
There are no dumb questions here!

It is not quite that simple.
You can run electric only with outside switch on, gas switch off.
You can run gas only with outside switch off (or simply no power available) and gas switch on.
You can run gas and electric together for faster recovery with both switches on.

Most people find that the gas is faster to recover and produces hotter water, so in effect, if you have both on, you probably are running mostly on gas.

Hope this helps.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for the response. I picked up my RV in August and have only spent four weekends in it. Still learning what everything does.
If possible I prefer using the parks electric to my propane since I pay for it.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

From time to time, you may find that only 30A power is available where you stay. If you come upon this situation, remember that when heating the water with electricity, a considerable amount of additional current flows while the water is being heated. Should your AC start up while the water is heating, and pershaps a few other electrical devices, you quite likely will trip the campsite 30A breaker. In such situations you should consider using propane rather than electricity to heat the water.

Been there, done that. After tripping the breaker a number of times, finally figured it out.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As John said, there are no dumb questions here! If you don't know the answer, then it is a legitimate question and deserves a legitimate reply. If there were dumb questions, I'd for sure be the king of dumb!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
funtastic32@att.net

M.O.C. #27634
Just an FYI. I have a 2017 Keystone Montana 3120RL. I had the same problem as others here with the gas portion of the hot water heater. Electric worked fine but when I switch to gas it would not come on but I got a RED LIGHT on the control panel. On here somewhere somebody said to run the switch off and tap the gas valve and check the two wires that connect it. I flipped the switch to off, wiggled the 2 wires and tapped the valve. It didn't come on immediately but I tapped the valve again and it came right on. Go figure. Another fix without having to call a repairman. Love it.
funtastic32@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtastic32@att.net View Post
Just an FYI. I have a 2017 Keystone Montana 3120RL. I had the same problem as others here with the gas portion of the hot water heater. Electric worked fine but when I switch to gas it would not come on but I got a RED LIGHT on the control panel. On here somewhere somebody said to run the switch off and tap the gas valve and check the two wires that connect it. I flipped the switch to off, wiggled the 2 wires and tapped the valve. It didn't come on immediately but I tapped the valve again and it came right on. Go figure. Another fix without having to call a repairman. Love it.
You do realize this is nearly a 15 year old tread ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You do realize this is nearly a 15 year old tread ?
And yet there are responses where someone says "just do a search before starting a new thread"

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote