Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
Converter Wiring

I did something stupid a couple of years ago and now I need help. When I installed my solar system, I disconnected my converter so that there wouldn't be any conflict between the two. But stupid me, I forgot to write down where the wires hook back up. Now I need to know. If someone wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it if you would take a look at the black wire coming from the converter and tell me where it hooks up. You'll have to remove the cover to the breaker switches to see this. Keep in mind that there is a smaller wire attached to the main wire. I'm sure the main wire goes directly to one of the main circuit breakers, but not sure where the pigtail wire off of that goes. I plan to hook the converter back up using a normal light switch so that I can turn the converter on and off at will. We went up to Stockton last week and spent a week with family for Christmas. Problem was, we didn't see sunshine the whole week we were there. As a result, the solar system couldn't keep the batteries charged. So on the last day there, I had depleted the batteries so much that I had to keep my fingers crossed that my fan would run during the night when I needed heat. Thanks for the help. Happy New Year to Everyone!

RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
RadioMan,
Did you permanently install the solar system or are the pannels portable (removable). And better yet where did you install the pannels.
Happy New Year and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
I permanently installed them on the roof (5 panels). I constructed a bed like frame and had special end pieces cut so that I could secure the frame to the sides where the rain gutter is. That way, I can remove them and no one will ever know I've been there. Oh and buy the way it also saved me from having to drill into the roof.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344
Radioman; I have a 2000 3280rl and had problem with converter keeping battery charged. So I changed furnace wire from battery operation to the 12v circuit to 12v lamps in slideout with couch and dining table. This was 3 years ago and it works fine on cg electric. And when needed with battery if power goes off for at least 4 hours.
owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
OK, I have to slow down a little to follow you, but I think I understand what you've said. But that isn't helping me with the converter wire problem. As I stated originally, the black wire coming from the converter has a black pigtail on it. I assume the black lead itself goes directly to the "Main" circuit breaker, but I don't know where the pigtail would hook up. Keep in mind, I'm really not an electrician, so its easy for me to get confused.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
When I received my 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS, the converter was jumped (via the "Black Pigtail", you wrote of) to a 20 AMP breaker used for some of the 5ers duplex receptacles. As there was no way I could individually shut off the converter without shutting down the whole circuit, I put a 15 AMP breaker on the buss bar, solely for the use of the converter (If you have room on the bar, install a new 15 AMP breaker, and hook your black pigtail up to the new breaker), I'm now able to turn it off or on at will. My electrical enclosure had the types of breakers it supports marked right on it, I just went to Lowes and got a Square D "HOM" style breaker (less than $ 4.00). Hope this works for you.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Radioman,
Funny about those solar panels! They got to have sunshine!

I think I remember you posting something about installing the panels some time ago. Did you ever post any pictures? Or do you have them on a website somewhere? I'd really like to see your setup.

Better yet stop by Bakersfield on your way home. Be glad to buy you a cup of coffee.

Good luck with the wiring. I wish I could help but am not an electrician either.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
HamRad,
Would be nice to meet up with you sometime on a camping trip. Do you ever go up 395? I can email you pics if you would like. I have to admit that as long as I've been computing, I've never learned how to post pics on the web.
I'd like to thank "jpbcny" for his suggestion of an additional breaker. That makes sense. Also to "owenwetzel". I do understand how it wires back in now, just not exactly what he did.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Radioman,
Bill we often take 395. Basically anytime we are headed up toward the Bishop/Reno areas we take that road. It is so much nicer than taking 5 or 99. Feel free to email some of the pics to me. If you'd like I can also post them in a special section on my PictureTrail site. Just let me know.

I usually monitor 146.520 when on the road. Around the Ridgecrest area I often will give a shout. So far nothing but silence. I thought for sure with all the high profile science types out that way I'd get a reply. Oh, well. We keep trying.

Dennis, KA6TZP, 73.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Is there any room in the underneath area of the overhang to put any more insulation? Sorry, I know I'm off topic.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote