Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Mission tires

Got delivery on my new Mountaineer with Mission (are they trying to sound like Michelin?) tires.
Has anyone had any problems with this tire, or am I getting parinoid after reading all the horror stories on the Good Sam Forum?
I wrote an e/m to Keystone questioning their choice of tires plus voicing my opinion on Chinese tires.
Their only responce was a 'phone number to Tireco. I wonder if they treat all disatified customers that way....Just wonderig.

Jim

jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #2
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Jim,
We have a 2004 325FKBS which came with MISSION tires ST225/75R15 LOAD RANGE "D". I have since replaced all 5 tires with trailer tires from Les Schwab. After less than 12000 miles and 14 months on the MISSIONs, I had one completely fail and two others where the tread began to separate from the carcass. When the one tire did fail I was traveling at highway speed and DID NOT experience any loss of control with the trailer or the truck, there was some cosmetic damage to the trailer however. When the tread began to separate on the other two tires, the tread area began to bulge and became rounded across the width of the tire and was no longer flat as a normal tire is. TIRECO did compensate me for the damage caused by the failure and did eventually pay me for the 5 new tires. My advice to you is to closely monitor your tires prior to and during travel, ensure proper inflation and loading. You can contact TIRECO if you want but I doubt they will do anything for you unless you are having a problem. Although this is probably not what you wanted to hear, I hope this helps.
R,
Jack
Old 11-16-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm an old auto service peofessional and I was (and still am) concerned about Chineese tires. Since this post I went back into some of the older threads on this subject and learmed a lot.
I pull with an F-250 diesel so I am very weight conscious. I just can't believe Keystone would stoop so low on such an important safety item--TIRES.
I am happy to learn Tireco will pay for any replacement and damage that may occur.
We are planning a trip to The Calgary Stampede from Michigan next July, so I think you see my concern.
I voiced my opinion to Keystone and got a 'phone number to Tireco if I do in fact incounter a problem. I wasn't too happy with the response from Keystone, it was like "it's not our problem".
They have an unhappy customer and they didn't seem to care.
Oh well, away we go.

Thanks again,
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Afternoon All,

Our new 3400RL arrived this past Sat. sporting Mission 235/80R16E tires. I have done some investigation on the Internet and have learned that in general the ST 235/80R16 tires are designed to perform better in trailer applications than the LT tires will. So, in general I am not upset that they went to a "better" design.

However, the implementation/manufacture of the design into an actual tire is where the rubber meets the road - so to speak. It will be interesting to learn how well these tires will hold up.

I have also heard that earlier Mountaineer usage of these tires incorporated a D rated tire with a max load of 3,000# at 65 PSI The ones we received have a load rating of 3,510# at 80PSI. Is this really a D rated tire with just a higher PSI rating?

Since I did not receive any documentation at all on the tires, I currently do not know - nor did the dealer know - what PSI I should be using, or even if there is any warranty on the tires at all.

Does anyone have any additional information?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't like to bear bad news but I have yet to hear of a brand that really is any better. We've had numerous problems with Goodyear Marathons and those are ST tires built for trailers. I've heard of a lot of problems with Michelin tires, too. Goodyear has a new 'G' series I've heard is pretty good but even they apparently have some problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Hello Everyone,

I guess I'll answer myself based upon talking with the Mission tire manufacturer and Keystone.

The Mission tires are private labeled T-108 tires manufactured by Tireco - www.tireco.com 1-800-227-8925. They are located in CA. Where they actually manufacture the tires is unknown. The Mission tires that were delivered on my 06 3400RL are 235/80R16 load rated E tires with a ply rating of 10, and can carry a 3520# load at 80 psi.

According to the Tireco rep. the tires are warranted for defects in workmanship at 100% tire cost replacement as long as the tire has visible tread - no prorating based upon remaining tread depth. Damage due to road hazards are not warranted.

As far as how much air to run in the tires, neither Tireco nor Keystone Montana had anything to say except fill-er-up to 80 psi and don't put more than 3520# per tire. However, my plan is to adhere to the Goodyear policy of running a pressure that will support the load, and stay away from the 80psi and 3520# max load figures unless required.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Seems that I did some googling some time ago and found that the Mission Tires WERE made in China not that that is all bad.I am sure that China can make good tires. My thought is that the majority of our tire problems are the result of out of line axles, improper or not balanced tires or self inflected like over inflation, under inflation, over loading, etc. I have had ONE tire failure on our RV's and it was obvious that for some reason the tire had lost air or was low on air and ran on the sidewall till it came apart.(I wondered why all those folks were honking at us) Finally got the msg when a big ole 18 wheeler pulled along side nearly blew us off the road with his air horn and pointed at the tire.( He helped us change it)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote