Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
340BH is junk

The Lippert 3.0 is junk, unable to level, so trim falling off, causing problems with fridge panels falling off, replaced hinges and added shim, still having problems. Front A/C won't stop cycling off every 30-60 seconds. Toilet won't seal. Breaking system keeps disconnecting. Doors won't stay closed in transport. Fridge wont pull down to 50 unless its in the shed. 59-60 is the best I can get if parked outside.For a 75000.00 sticker price I wish I could have my coachmen back. 9 times at the dealer since the end of April and they made a couple trips to the campground. We upgrade every 3-4 years and Keystone/Montana will not be on our list. You got me once, you will not get me twice!

Fire_Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble! Try putting a few drops of Dawn dish soap on ball in toilet. Level up probable needs recalibration. Remove plastic covers from back of refrigerator, see if it will get cold. I don't have any idea about your AC. Try to have some fun
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire_Hazard

The Lippert 3.0 is junk, unable to level, so trim falling off, causing problems with fridge panels falling off, replaced hinges and added shim, still having problems. Front A/C won't stop cycling off every 30-60 seconds. Toilet won't seal. Breaking system keeps disconnecting. Doors won't stay closed in transport. Fridge wont pull down to 50 unless its in the shed. 59-60 is the best I can get if parked outside.For a 75000.00 sticker price I wish I could have my coachmen back. 9 times at the dealer since the end of April and they made a couple trips to the campground. We upgrade every 3-4 years and Keystone/Montana will not be on our list. You got me once, you will not get me twice!
Don't know how hot it is where you are at or how humid it is, but you can expect 10-15 degrees max difference from outside temp to inside. It is an RV and not your home. I would try leaving fan on "hi" and not on auto.

The toilet seals tend to dry out between the time it leaves the factory and the time the unit is actually sold. Lubricate and clean it good and after each use make sure a little water is in the bowl, which you can accomplish by barely holding the flush pedal down. I fought mine for a couple weeks but finally it started sealing correctly.

We found out the hard way that before banging down the road (putting our fiver through an earthquake) we needed to use Velcro wraps to keep all the cabinets secured. We still do that with our MH which seems to ride better. I figure that is just part of RVing.

The issues you are describing you will probably experience with some of the $50,000 fivers out there and some of the $150,000 fivers out there. Just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Sorry to hear of your problems. Love our 3.0 leveler after we talked on the phone with Lippert and they talked us through re-setting it as I punched the buttons. Dometic 1350 frig. worked great (34*) till we got in 100* temp with PM sun hitting on slide. Found that factory installation had omitted top directional baffle to direct air flow out of the vent and had not insulated over the top of frig leaving a big void (read hot air box) over whole top of frig. Filled void with insulation and made and placed baffle and it works well again. See installation manual for baffle placement.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Sorry to hear of your problems but they should be able to be fixed. 2014 Montana HC. Love our 3.0 levelers after LIPPERT talked me through re-setting as I stood there and punched the buttons. Our Dometic 1350 frig.worked well 34* until Fl. 100* temps and PM sun hitting directly on slide then saw 47* in afternoon. Searched some sites for similar problems and found to check installation specs. Factory installation had not placed top baffle or insulated over top of frig leaving big void (read hot box) over whole top of frig. Insulated area over top of frig. and placed baffle to direct hot air out of slide vent at top. Frig. works well. See installation manual for baffle location. Our 2 ACs kept us below 75* in 100* FL heat so it can be done.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tooth ferry

Oops --double post I thought the first one got lost.
It is easy to delete duplicate post or even ones you regret making. As the poster, when you look at YOUR posting, there is an additional icon at the end of the string of them. You want the last one which is an image of piece of paper and a trashcan. Click on that to delete the entire posting.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since your unit is a 2016 and it is as you say "Junk" you might consider letting it go before it deprecates any more than it has. Cut your losses and move on.

It is sort of like a stock that you purchase and it turns out to be a bad choice.Sell recoup what you can learn from the experience and move on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Telling an owner to drop another $15-$20K depreciation because He bought a Montana is ridiculous advice. Possibly He is trying to tell others to watch out for what happened to him. How many of you have had to take yours back to the dealer 9 times.

Telling an owner AC Systems can only drop temperature 10-15 degrees is completely wrong.

At the top of this heading I saw a mission statement has anyone read it?

Many of us (not just one) are struggling to get our units up to the condition they should have been in when We bought them.

Making Generalized statements that all RV's are like this is only appropriate for a first time owner not RV'ers who have had multiple RV's.

I guess this is not the place for Owners who have Keystone/Montana Issues to get help without being insulted?

Where is the info on how to escalate a Keystone Issue, find a better dealer, provide a list of high level Keystone Names and Contacts?

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
James,

This forum is not owned by Keystone. Over the years many owners have tried to assist each other.

Keystone management has changed over the years. Workers come and go at the Service Center and in the plants.

I don't believe in the almost 14 years CountryGuy has been a member I have ever seen a list of names of contacts at Keystone. There are members that have that info, that they have collected on their own. I just don't remember a list on the MOC.

A list is only as good as the collection date and how thorough the collector is. And, with as fast as our society moves these days, I find that many lists are only good for, maybe, 24 hours.

I am sorry, speaking only for myself, that you feel you have been insulted here at the MOC.

I don't see you as a participant in the Fall Rally, too bad, as you would have had face to face access to the fellows in the know at Keystone Montana Division. The ones you really need to talk to.

Continued best wishes to all with issues with your rigs. CountryGuy and I have been there, done that. Seriously, it just is no fun.

I remember the evening we drove up to our beloved Tana at the old service center in Goshen to observe them with a torch under her bellie area, removing axles and stuff. This girl, saw flames, this girl almost stopped breathing in shock.

Yep, a dysfunctional rig is just no fun.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
jameswbarton...I have a suggestion for you, you need to back off, take a deep breath, sit down and cool it. Rich made a suggestion which is a viable alternative. If you don't agree that's fine but your choice of words has gotten members barred from this forum in the past.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Mrs Country Guy,

I would have loved to go to the Fall Rally however my HC 375 FL is scheduled months ago to be in General RV to have the finish repaired during the Rally. It is currently in another Keystone dealer getting the last of the missed PDI items finished, thanks to Owner Relations @ Keystone. Maybe next year!

I worked in Manufacturing and Quality Assurance for a fortune 100 company for many years. This is the first time I have had to fight for months with a manufacturer to get things fixed. Once I finally got elevated to the Keystone owner relations contact it started to get corrected as it should have from day 1.

I never had issues like this with Fleetwood, Coachman, Alfa Leisure but then those RV's were many years ago before the massive consolidation of manufacturers.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #12
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Years ago there was competition if you wanted to sell you're RV you had to do and be better than the other manufactures. It just shows that consolidation in any Industry in not good.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep I am with ya TLightning,we got it A LONG time ago james you got a Lemon and that stinks and we have tried to help but you have turned into a Angry Basher that is using this Forum as Psychiatrist Couch Again KEYSTONE does NOT Monitor this Forum and ya need to take your anger to the Dealer or Keystone and Vent away you will get better results

quote]Originally posted by TLightning

jameswbarton...I have a suggestion for you, you need to back off, take a deep breath, sit down and cool it. Rich made a suggestion which is a viable alternative. If you don't agree that's fine but your choice of words has gotten members barred from this forum in the past.

[/quote]
Old 09-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
"The Pig" is back at the dealer today, trying to work a deal to just trade it in. It was a cool weekend so turned the furnace on, both A/C and furnace ran together and we finally just turned it off and covered up. The breaks still are not working and can't use the new bike rack they replaced because there were no holes drilled for the post. Some of it is stupid easy stuff I could fix but should not have too. Bring me your car and I will pull the engine, rebuild and put it back in, but for this kind of coin someone else can do it!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Going to Hershey Saturday for the RV show. Montana's will not be represented, not sure I care, my dealer now sells Grand Design he says warranty issues are a breeze and will not miss the ridiculous hoops he had to jump thru with Keystone. Looking forward to Grand Design displays. we`ll see if they show up.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
Got a long weekend planned, hoping when I show up to the dealer tomorrow to pick her up they have things working. Been in for 3 weeks and I have not gotten the call that it is ready.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #17
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Fire Hazard

Welcome to keystone disservice department. It cost me $20,000 to finally get ours usable in 2009. I would have been better off to have taken richfaa advice and dump it the first 90 days.

richfaa

You should know better you have been insulted here as well.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

Telling an owner to drop another $15-$20K depreciation because He bought a Montana is ridiculous advice. Possibly He is trying to tell others to watch out for what happened to him. How many of you have had to take yours back to the dealer 9 times.

Telling an owner AC Systems can only drop temperature 10-15 degrees is completely wrong.

Making Generalized statements that all RV's are like this is only appropriate for a first time owner not RV'ers who have had multiple RV's.

I guess this is not the place for Owners who have Keystone/Montana Issues to get help without being insulted?

Where is the info on how to escalate a Keystone Issue, find a better dealer, provide a list of high level Keystone Names and Contacts?
I only purchased one new Montana, the other one I owned was used. I had mine back at the dealer 4 times with numerous issues. They only fixed one.

After two years we had everything like we wanted in our Montana but circumstances changed for us and we decided to change to a MH. We lost almost $30,000 in depreciation. Welcome to RVing pal.

If you have a $300,000 RV with three 15,000 btu air conditioners you may keep it 70 degrees inside while parked in the Florida sun on a 100 degree day, but if you own a $70,000 Montana with 2 airs good luck getting it below 80 on that sunny 100 degree day. Maybe your experience is based on RVing in northern Michigan.

99% of the folks on the MOC are extremely helpful and are only on here to share ideas and learn something. Many of us have been frustrated with dealers and quality issues long before you. Re-boot and give the MOC a chance.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #19
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
59 degrees outside today when I picked it up, the fridge is all the way gown to 56 12 hours later. However the breaks worked. They showed me a pic of what they found and the wire to the hub/break assembly was almost burned/rubbed clear through. They could not reproduce the furnace problem. Talked to the owner of the dealership again today about getting a new unit. I do not expect a good result but have been a good customer and have a lot of contacts and clients that use him so maybe I get lucky.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by Phil P

Fire Hazard

Welcome to keystone disservice department. It cost me $20,000 to finally get ours usable in 2009. I would have been better off to have taken richfaa advice and dump it the first 90 days.

richfaa

You should know better you have been insulted here as well.
Phil P

Did not hurt....Did not hurt. It was just a suggestion and I have dome that several times with stock.. sell and cut losses.

I have not counted but I am sure my 2006 3400 was back at a dealer or the service center at least 9 times.The2013 is close already.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote