Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
gota do it

Since there are so many nahsayers about the Andersen Ultimate and Pullrite Super lite and how they are prone to failure from the get go but without any significant proof other than a few instances that where caused by the owner not setting up or using the hitch correctly. I thought I would start a thread on the failures of your wonder hitch ( any brand ) and how they as a whole have caused more damage to more vehicles and campers than one can imagine. Given the fact that the AU and Super lit have no moving parts and your hitch has many that need to be maintained, greased etc. I would think there would be a multitude of problems. Yes I know you have used yours for 80,000 miles and nary a hiccup, not you, the others.
I would like to hear from people who have crushed their truck beds from dropping the 5th wheel on the truck bed and what they think was the problem or what they think they did or did not do to cause the damage, expensive damage and you have to ride around with every body saying look he dropped his camper until repaired.
At Myrtle Beach last year saw 4 trucks with crushed beds one a new truck still had the cardboard tags on it at one of the Mega campgrounds, made you sick to look at it.
My personal experience was with a Pull Rite slider. There is a very large bolt that pretty much holds the whole slider part together and keeps your trailer in a straight line going down the road well this became lose and was on with 1 maybe 2 threads loosen from use not from lack of maintenance and if I had not noticed this on a close inspection before we left the Walmart parking lot alot COULD have happen. This would have caused a complete failure of the hitch as 7 tons would have slammed to the front when I tried to stop. After talking to the Pullrite rep at the Hershey show there is a new bolt that's suppose to solved this and he mailed me one free. I think it was a$75.00 dollar part. Great I thought then promptly got rid of the hitch and bought a Andersen. Any way that`s my wonder hitch story what`s yours. Preferably a crushed truck bed story as the pictures are dramatic like the one below.

Yes I know this is going to be hard for you to admit to but try you might educate some one that really dosen`t have a clue and save them a lot of money or hassles, think of it as a safety issue that needs to be discussed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck+damage.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1366   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerDrop-3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	1367  
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
In the court room the defending attorneys could say, "If it's not latched, it's not attached"

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Every person I have met over the years who have dropped their rigs onto the truck bed have blamed themselves not the hitch. We have always had a bedsaver.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
What is a bed saver?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dropping your camper would be very easy. I haven’t yet but I think campers are like motorcycles. There are 2 types of riders those like me who have dropped them and the riders that are going to drop their bike.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Once again, your photo shows a hitch in the unlatched position! Clearly a case of operator error. Even if your handle snaps back into the closed position, but you have not visually inspected the hitch's jaws and the trailer's landing gear it's operator error if the trailer falls. Dropped trailers usually happen when you get in a hurry or get distracted. Never stop in the middle of hooking or unhooking to talk to someone or do something. Anything can fail if it's not properly maintained. In nearly 40 years of trucking I never saw or heard of a trailer being dropped due to a defective hitch. Again, you must visually inspect your hitch to be sure the jaws have encircled the kingpin and the kingpin is not riding above the jaws (high hitch). Also always check your landing gear before moving the truck to be sure they are in the proper position. I'm sure that all of the hitches on the market are adequate for the job if used properly.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I helped somone who needed to move a small 5th wheel in a hurry once. Had a Reese hitch, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was the idiot who pulled the pin before I had the front legs down. Luckily it was a Jaco and so it damaged the 5th wheel, but not my truck. My mistake was not using my lock on the hitch like I do when I go down the road normally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Every person I have met over the years who have dropped their rigs onto the truck bed have blamed themselves not the hitch. We have always had a bedsaver.
I think by this one post you have proven my point.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Since there are so many nahsayers about the Andersen Ultimate and Pullrite Super lite and how they are prone to failure from the get go but without any significant proof other than a few instances that where caused by the owner not setting up or using the hitch correctly. I thought I would start a thread on the failures of your wonder hitch ( any brand ) and how they as a whole have caused more damage to more vehicles and campers than one can imagine. Given the fact that the AU and Super lit have no moving parts and your hitch has many that need to be maintained, greased etc. I would think there would be a multitude of problems. Yes I know you have used yours for 80,000 miles and nary a hiccup, not you, the others.
I would like to hear from people who have crushed their truck beds from dropping the 5th wheel on the truck bed and what they think was the problem or what they think they did or did not do to cause the damage, expensive damage and you have to ride around with every body saying look he dropped his camper until repaired.
At Myrtle Beach last year saw 4 trucks with crushed beds one a new truck still had the cardboard tags on it at one of the Mega campgrounds, made you sick to look at it.
My personal experience was with a Pull Rite slider. There is a very large bolt that pretty much holds the whole slider part together and keeps your trailer in a straight line going down the road well this became lose and was on with 1 maybe 2 threads loosen from use not from lack of maintenance and if I had not noticed this on a close inspection before we left the Walmart parking lot alot COULD have happen. This would have caused a complete failure of the hitch as 7 tons would have slammed to the front when I tried to stop. After talking to the Pullrite rep at the Hershey show there is a new bolt that's suppose to solved this and he mailed me one free. I think it was a$75.00 dollar part. Great I thought then promptly got rid of the hitch and bought a Andersen. Any way that`s my wonder hitch story what`s yours. Preferably a crushed truck bed story as the pictures are dramatic like the one below.

Yes I know this is going to be hard for you to admit to but try you might educate some one that really dosen`t have a clue and save them a lot of money or hassles, think of it as a safety issue that needs to be discussed.

What year was your Pullrite Slider?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Wheel chocks,first on,last off!
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Close to a million miles in trucks, and when I say trucks I mean class 8 trucks. My F-350 is NOT a truck and neither is yours.
Whenever I hitch to a fifth wheel trailer, I have the trailer at a height that the tow vehicle lifts the trailer a little. The landing gear is down but barely touching. Visually check that the kingpin is captured do all your hookups get back in your rig and give it a couple good 'tugs' with your brake controller applied, no need to move the trailer. IF it should come unhooked for some reason the trailer can't smash your pickup, it's impossible.

Mark
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Actually your F350 is a truck, the vehicle you drive at work is a tractor
Agree with everything else though!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Actually your F350 is a truck, the vehicle you drive at work is a tractor
Agree with everything else though!
They plow fields with tractors.😁
Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Close to a million miles in trucks, and when I say trucks I mean class 8 trucks. My F-350 is NOT a truck and neither is yours.
Whenever I hitch to a fifth wheel trailer, I have the trailer at a height that the tow vehicle lifts the trailer a little. The landing gear is down but barely touching. Visually check that the kingpin is captured do all your hookups get back in your rig and give it a couple good 'tugs' with your brake controller applied, no need to move the trailer. IF it should come unhooked for some reason the trailer can't smash your pickup, it's impossible.

Mark
This is exact to process the dealer taught me.

I also have my"Do NOT bother me face" on when hitching or unhitching.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not dropped the 5th wheel on the truck bed. We have had a bed saver since 2006.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have not dropped the 5th wheel on the truck bed. We have had a bed saver since 2006.
What is a bed saver?
thanks
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
This is exact to process the dealer taught me.

I also have my"Do NOT bother me face" on when hitching or unhitching.
That’s right, routine is a lifesaver even if my DW calls it OCD. 🙄

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
A bed saver is a device that attaches to the hitch and is designed to catch the pin if it comes loose from the hitch. Blue Ox used to make and sell them. It saved my but one time and I would not be without one.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It looks like Blue Ox is again selling the bed saver.

I agree .I don't think anyone says well I think I will drop the RV on the truck today and see what happens.It is a Accident.

Accident....."an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury" I would never drop the RV on my truck because I had nothing else to do but i have a bed saver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Have to agree with waynemoore and richfaa-- I've had a Bedsaver by BLue Ox ever since we've had our two Monte's and I would not be without it. Blue Ox makes the Bedsaver in different designs for specific hitches(at least they used to) and they bolt right on to your hitch. They are about an inch or so blow the bottom of the catch plate and if the pin comes out of the jaws of the hitch it has a catch plate that catches the pin/your unit before it hits the siderails of the bed of the truck. Best insurance I've ever had. I haven't dropped the unit and hope never to do it but IF I do I've got the Bedsaver to save my butt and save me the time and money on the repair or replacement of a new bed on the tv.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote