Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
OK, you got my curiosity. GCI engines have been around for many years in cars and trucks. And, googling, I could not find that there has been any problem with them other than different manufacturing requirements. What are you referring to?
Bill thanks for asking. I’ve been in the Machine shop business for almost 40 years so I’m always curious about anything Machine shop and a friend has sold machine tools and tooling to rebuild auto engines for 40 years. CGI has been around since the 40s but hasn’t been used to make production engines but for a a few years. The trouble with using it for a large number of engines was we didn’t have cutting tools that would hold up. The cutter would be wore out in a single cylinder and need to be changed. With new cutting tools that is no longer the problem it was. CGI was used for limited production engines for a long time because it is much harder than cast iron. Wore much longer dampened vibrations much better and as an added benefit can be cast thinner to reduce weight. A CGI block can be almost as light as an aluminum block and stronger than a cast iron block.
Ford uses it for their 2.7 Ecoboost and their 6.7 Diesel. Cummings uses it for their 3 L Diesel used in the Ram 1/2 ton. Either Peterbuilt or Kenworth uses it in their latest engine. Audi used it in their prototype racing Diesel engine and won almost every race it ran in.
So why don’t everybody name their blocks CGI. The machinery can’t be switched from cast iron to CGI. The boring heads can’t be retro fit to old machines because the boring head spins and the cutting tools are round and they spin on the boring head. This is what I’ve been told. This is all a little out of my league, let’s say millions of dollars out of my league. One of the boring heads are worth more than any machine in my shop.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Bill thanks for asking. I’ve been in the Machine shop business for almost 40 years so I’m always curious about anything Machine shop and a friend has sold machine tools and tooling to rebuild auto engines for 40 years. CGI has been around since the 40s but hasn’t been used to make production engines but for a a few years. The trouble with using it for a large number of engines was we didn’t have cutting tools that would hold up. The cutter would be wore out in a single cylinder and need to be changed. With new cutting tools that is no longer the problem it was. CGI was used for limited production engines for a long time because it is much harder than cast iron. Wore much longer dampened vibrations much better and as an added benefit can be cast thinner to reduce weight. A CGI block can be almost as light as an aluminum block and stronger than a cast iron block.
Ford uses it for their 2.7 Ecoboost and their 6.7 Diesel. Cummings uses it for their 3 L Diesel used in the Ram 1/2 ton. Either Peterbuilt or Kenworth uses it in their latest engine. Audi used it in their prototype racing Diesel engine and won almost every race it ran in.
So why don’t everybody name their blocks CGI. The machinery can’t be switched from cast iron to CGI. The boring heads can’t be retro fit to old machines because the boring head spins and the cutting tools are round and they spin on the boring head. This is what I’ve been told. This is all a little out of my league, let’s say millions of dollars out of my league. One of the boring heads are worth more than any machine in my shop.
Lynwood

We are well into the middle of a rick of wood for this campfire conversation! Past the popcorn and into another six pack of beer I suspect by now eh?

Ok my question would be what happens if you need an engine rebuild (not that I keep my trucks that long)? If it takes highly specialized machine tools are you into buying a short block every time you have a scored cylinder? It certainly doesn't sound like very many machine shops are going to be able to rebuild these new style blocks and they are going to cost a fortune to rebuild?

Don't get me wrong, technological improvements make the world go around and certainly newer trucks can be driven a lot more miles than they could 50 years ago.

And from what you have said it sounds like Ford is not the only game in town of this technology? When it comes to diesels I trust the Cummins brand more than most others and that is the only reason I went with Ram.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:30 AM   #23
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
This is too funny. I am trying to figure out how CGI and Cummins engines relate to Tom's
question of which trim level to get.

:
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
And from what you have said it sounds like Ford is not the only game in town of this technology? When it comes to diesels I trust the Cummins brand more than most others and that is the only reason I went with Ram.
Actually some of the Cummins diesels are CGI also. Audi, BMW, and others have used it for years along with NASCAR for their racing engines. Much stronger than conventional cast iron means less bulk and lighter weight in the engines.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #25
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Moderator hat on: This thread was a reasonable question regarding Trim Packages. Let's stay focused on helping the OP with this question and not turning the topic in a new direction. Several posts have been removed from this thread that are entirely off topic and designed to elicit emotional responses (the definition of trolling). Thanks for your considered answers regarding trim packages.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
mtlakejim.
I think it’s good for people to know all they can about the vehicles they drive. So what happens when you need to bore a CGI block. It can be done now with new cutting tools that weren’t available 20 years ago. It’s slow but can be done. To show how far cutting tools have come. I bought 6, 7/16 drills this week. A common 7/16 drill will cost $4 these were $46 each but will drill 5 times faster and lasts 10 times longer. To look at them you can’t tell the difference. With new coating these new cutting tools will do things we couldn’t even dream about a few years ago.
Lynwood
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
mtlakejim.
I think it’s good for people to know all they can about the vehicles they drive. So what happens when you need to bore a CGI block. It can be done now with new cutting tools that weren’t available 20 years ago. It’s slow but can be done. To show how far cutting tools have come. I bought 6, 7/16 drills this week. A common 7/16 drill will cost $4 these were $46 each but will drill 5 times faster and lasts 10 times longer. To look at them you can’t tell the difference. With new coating these new cutting tools will do things we couldn’t even dream about a few years ago.
Lynwood
I can’t respond to you your not on topic for this thread
Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #28
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Seats! Make sure the trim package includes seats that you can travel in. Some trucks are notorious for have uncomfortable seats. Check them out good for adjustability, especially lumbar support.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I initially thought I wanted a KR but after looking purchased a loaded Lariat with the fifth wheel prep, blindspot, heated rear seat, auxilliary heat, upfitter switches, factory spray on bed liner, dual heavy duty alternators basically loaded and everything I wanted in the KR but with the camel leather and ruby red paint I wanted along with the 20" premium wheels. Saved more than I thought I would. I've had all the brands of diesels made, really enjoy this truck.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #30
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I also like the camel interior color but was annoyed that the dash was black. If I were to go Lariat I could save three to four thousand. Of course I can't get everything that the K R and Platinum have but close to having most of it. Looking at what these rigs cost and their profit margin on them you would think you could pretty much get what ever you asked for. My wife really would like the K R if you could get the Marsella Platinum color in it but does not care for it in the Platinum because of the accect colors. I would rather have Crome bumpers in the Platinum but it is not allowed. I also would like the camper package but it to is not allowed although you could get it last year. As stated by someone earlier I have heard that the leather in the K R is more susceptible to scuffing. Don't know for sure but it is a lower grade than the Platinum.

Looks like Monday I will make my decision and get it ordered.
Thanks for all of your thoughts and real life experiences you shared. It is a hard decision to make.

Tom Marty.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:55 AM   #31
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well you know you have to tell us what you ordered
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #32
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
The seats in my lariat have held up well. I do however use a leather cleaner conditioner on my seats. Got some from Grotts Garage sold at Autozone. I have chrome bumpers on my truck . Funny how if you want this option well you cant get it in this trim level. But you can get it in this one. Yow sure do want the 5th wheel prep package and most trucks on lots don't have that. I had to install mine and it wasn't to easy. I was 62 at the time and it was hot as heck out. LOL You will get a higher playload rating with 18 inch wheels I believe. Also the tires are cheaper than 20's. LOL. I just love my truck. I have been everywhere with it and it's amazing.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tom. If you are a member of the Farm Bereau you can get $500 Bonus Cash. You must be a member for 30 days. If you aren’t, might pay to join. Go online and order a brochure. Most times it wil come with $750 personal cash. The personal cash will only be good for a few weeks so wait until a couple of weeks before delivery. Easiest money you will ever make.
Lynwood
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #34
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Lynwood thanks for the information, I am also trying to get FMC to send me a $500.00 customer appreciation card. They send me three of them in 2017 when I really first started looking for a new truck. Unfortunately they all were for the 17 model although some are still good I will getting an 2018.

Tom Marty
Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tom you probably already know this but just in case. You know that is why a bore hog has tits, just in case. You can track your truck on COTUS, Ford custom order tracking, web site. After you order wait a few days and get the VIN.
What color did you get?
Lynwood
Old 03-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #36
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I bought a 2017 Lariat with the ultimate package. Just normal oil & filter changes and tires at 52,300 miles. Leather is like new.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #37
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Don't overlook the F450 we we're able to get ours for the same $$ as the F350
They we're more than willing to deal on these. These were in stock and loaded so sticker shock was turning folks away according to our salesman.
F450 is just more truck and very happy with it so far.
Good travels in whatever you decide.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #38
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Depending on the state you live in Registration may be higher for the F450 than a f350I live in Ca and its different for the DRW vs SRW trucks. Mine is $650 next June. Plus I may have to smog it again.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #39
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Depending on the state you live in Registration may be higher for the F450 than a f350I live in Ca and its different for the DRW vs SRW trucks. Mine is $650 next June. Plus I may have to smog it again.
I paid $81 for a new F350 DRW I first time registered in Idaho last month. That's why I left California and didn't look back.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
I paid $81 for a new F350 DRW I first time registered in Idaho last month. That's why I left California and didn't look back.
I don't think your the only one leaving California for this sort of stuff!!!