Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
New Truck

Not wanting to start a truck war here but I would like input from owners on purchasing a new SuperDuty F350 DRW. They are all optioned out to basicly the same truck. Some just have lower base prices and higher option prices. I am struggling on deciding on a Lariat with lots of options, a King Ranch with less options or a Platinum with even fewer options. Platinum and King Ranch book out within 150.00 of each other. The Lariat about 4000.00 less for basicly the same truck with more options. The Limited is not an option as way to much money and my wife and I don't like the colors. My Delema is I am not really keen on the K-R interior colors for 17. I am stuck going with black interior with a Platinum ( not my favorite ) but I do like the grill better than the K-R. If I go with a lariat I get the Camel interior that I like except a black dash and the seats are not as nice but resell will be lower due to being a Lariat.
I need to order soon so if you have any input please let me know. I really would like to hear from people who faced the same delema and what they ended up getting. This is a major decision and that is partially why I am going dually in case we upgrade to a heavier unit.
Thanks in advance

Tom Marty

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Lariat might be lower trade-in but you paid less so that's awash. I bought a very basic ram and expect to get less on trade-in but when you pay less you get less. The best one to buy is the one you like. Who's paying for this truck anyhow, you or somebody else. There is no wrong decision. P.S. Smart decision to buy a dually in case you go heavier.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Buy a RAM and get the bullet proof 900 lbs of torque Cummins! ��
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
the DW and I have different thermostats. So dual climate control is a must have.

As for Lariat vs KR vs Plat. You just need to decide what you options you like best.
No matter what I CAN recommend; the 5th wheel hitch prep, Ultimate Trailer tow camera (gives you 360 view of truck-great for making the truck smaller in parking lots), and BLIS.
I also added the trailer camera and TPMS system Nice having backup camera on bigger screen and not having another screen for monitoring tire pressure. .
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just ordered a 2018 F150 Lariat. It should be here in 11 days. I also have a 2008 KR with 80,000 miles on it. I couldn’t see paying over 10 K more for the higher trim level truck. With that said I understand the Lariat leather isn’t as good as the higher trucks. The cabs on the Super Duty and their baby brother is the same so I suspect the sets are too. Go to Fords build site and see which suits you better. What I think doesn’t matter it’s your money. I think time will prove Ford has at least as good an engine as can be bought in a Diesel pickup truck. Do a Google search for Compacted Graphite Iron. That is the material the block is made of.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have a lariat trim truck because I didnt need the sun roof or all that stitching on the seats. Not sure I even understand why Ford put that in there. My truck is comfortable on long trips. Heated and cooled seats are nice. No heated steering wheel. LOL. No chrome package for me ether. Not a fan of chrome. Mine is a 15 and I have just over 50,000 miles on my truck. 50% of that towing my 34' 5th wheel. With the price of the KR and Platinum I couldn't go there. With the money I saved we went traveling.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Well I will totally shock everyone here and say when it comes to trim package I have no advice for you. That is totally a personal decision

To me what matters is the running gear. The trim package is just fluff that doesn’t affect how the truck performs it’s function or more importantly how safely it does so. It might make you more comfortable and maybe affect trade in a bit but has nothing to do with performance!

Since your going dually my work here is done. Unless you want to get into brands, long beds and four wheel drive but that wasn’t included in your original post
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I just ordered a 2018 F150 Lariat. It should be here in 11 days. I also have a 2008 KR with 80,000 miles on it. I couldn’t see paying over 10 K more for the higher trim level truck. With that said I understand the Lariat leather isn’t as good as the higher trucks. The cabs on the Super Duty and their baby brother is the same so I suspect the sets are too. Go to Fords build site and see which suits you better. What I think doesn’t matter it’s your money. I think time will prove Ford has at least as good an engine as can be bought in a Diesel pickup truck. Do a Google search for Compacted Graphite Iron. That is the material the block is made of.
Lynwood
That one sentence “time will tell” is why I jumped ship on Ford and got a Ram when I went diesel! The Cummins has already been time tested! When the Ford engines have been around for 20 years or so with high reliability marks we can talk...

I don’t hold anything against Ford gas burners and I will likely be buying the wife an F150 as a daily driver.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
My vote is for Lariat. It has plenty of ‘farkles’ to entertain you, FoMoCo makes bank on all of those little gizmos and then returns pennies on the dollar upon trade in.

Mark
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I bought a KR because, well, I like the KR leather. But my previous F350 was a Lariat with leather seats. The KR seats in my current truck are more comfortable than the seats were in the Lariat. But that may have more to do with the different model years than than the different trim levels.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
That one sentence “time will tell” is why I jumped ship on Ford and got a Ram when I went diesel! The Cummins has already been time tested! When the Ford engines have been around for 20 years or so with high reliability marks we can talk...

I don’t hold anything against Ford gas burners and I will likely be buying the wife an F150 as a daily driver.
Before you jump ship did you research CGI engines. You should’ve.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Lynwood
And how long has that engine been around and used by Ford?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I guess it may vary by brands. I recently ordered a new Silverado, started with the LT trim, but some required options weren't avail, so looked at the LTX trim, but by the time the must have options were added it was more than the fully optioned High Country. So the new High Country is sitting in the drive way.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Lynwood
OK, you got my curiosity. GCI engines have been around for many years in cars and trucks. And, googling, I could not find that there has been any problem with them other than different manufacturing requirements. What are you referring to?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753

It is so funny watching this thread morph from the question of "which Ford trim level to get?" to Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post

It is so funny watching this thread morph from the question of "which Ford trim level to get?" to Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy
Sorta the way conversations go if your sitting by a campfire eh??? So what is the harm?? Only people I see having an issue would be anal and controlling forum police!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Not wanting to start a truck war here but I would like input from owners on purchasing a new SuperDuty F350 DRW. They are all optioned out to basicly the same truck. Some just have lower base prices and higher option prices. I am struggling on deciding on a Lariat with lots of options, a King Ranch with less options or a Platinum with even fewer options. Platinum and King Ranch book out within 150.00 of each other. The Lariat about 4000.00 less for basicly the same truck with more options. The Limited is not an option as way to much money and my wife and I don't like the colors. My Delema is I am not really keen on the K-R interior colors for 17. I am stuck going with black interior with a Platinum ( not my favorite ) but I do like the grill better than the K-R. If I go with a lariat I get the Camel interior that I like except a black dash and the seats are not as nice but resell will be lower due to being a Lariat.
I need to order soon so if you have any input please let me know. I really would like to hear from people who faced the same delema and what they ended up getting. This is a major decision and that is partially why I am going dually in case we upgrade to a heavier unit.
Thanks in advance

Tom Marty
For what it's worth we bought a new Lariat DRW long bed with factory 5th wheel prep last month. We felt it has everything you need to tow with the options available and still have the leather, etc. We couldn't justify the KR or above models because of the price differences with what you get. We also found out that the KR leather, as nice as it looks, scratches and tears much easier. We witnessed that first hand on one we looked at (big scratch on the driver's side), which is consistent with many complaints we have seen online. I'm sure many who have the KR will disagree and that's o.k. We are very satisfied with what we got for the money.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tom,

You should order what you like and want vs the crowd. Buy what you want, keep it 15-20 years and initial cost and resale are fairly meaningless.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
2008 Lariat 6.4 now just short of 100K miles 95 % of that pulling two Montana's 06 3400 and 2013 3402. Transmission gasket leak and oil pan plug leak over 100K miles that is it. Leather seats are in excellent condition. I have had other brand trucks none of them caused us problems nor has this one.We have nothing bad to say about this 08 Ford.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Tom,

You should order what you like and want vs the crowd. Buy what you want, keep it 15-20 years and initial cost and resale are fairly meaningless.
OP might be like me and trades every few years