Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #41
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
A lot of things can't be blamed on the tire. But you with all your miles ,and the many others that have had good luck with there G614, does not change the fact that the G614's have a history of failures.

You just don't read about problems with Sailuns. They have already proven they are a better tire. We can dance around this all we want, but the prove is in the pudding.
X 2. Still wonder why people will pay twice as much for 2nd best.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #42
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
The Beast is a new tire by Good-Year that comes installed on top of the line 2018 SOB. I don't know much about the tires as they are new but they are huge (wide). SOB had to revamp the rims and axle set up to get them on their trailers. Talked to reps at Tampa RV Show about them. I have GY G614 tires that I bought after reading all the great recommendations found on this site and have 25,000 miles on them in last three years with no problems. Only time will tell but the beast looks like a big heavy american made tire to me.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #43
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
X 2. Still wonder why people will pay twice as much for 2nd best.
No idea, but they seem to want to. I know its a China made tire, but not many can say they don't purchase Chinese made products, pretty tough to avoid. I want the best bang for my dollar, and Goodyear G614's just don't get it done.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #44
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
No idea, but they seem to want to. I know its a China made tire, but not many can say they don't purchase Chinese made products, pretty tough to avoid. I want the best bang for my dollar, and Goodyear G614's just don't get it done.

If you are referring to the G614 according to the DOT markings mine are made in the USA.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #45
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just did a little research on "The Beast", seems some MFRs are calling the new Goodyear Endurance tires "The Beast" in their adds.
I think the Endurance in the US replacement for the Chinese Marathons, but still new enough to have any real history, but so far seem to be holding up.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #46
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If you are referring to the G614 according to the DOT markings mine are made in the USA.

Phil P
Poor wording I was referring to the Sailuns being made in China, and some get hung up on that. Its tough to stay away from Chinese products.

I just can't see paying twice for a G614, and arguably an inferior tire to the Sailun. JMHO.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #47
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
I believe that many on this site referred to the GY marathon tires as "China Bombs". That made me leery of buying another tire made in "China" back in 2015 when I bought the GY G614 tires to replace the cheap trailer tires that came on my Monty from the Factory. That is why I bought a tire that cost twice as much. I also try to buy American when possible. My guess is that the GY "Beast" will be a much better trailer tire than the Marathon and cost less then the G614 RST which should give the Chinese some more competition. I question why anyone would buy a trailer from a company that installed unsafe tires on their trailers for years? But here we are. I threw out the Trailer King tires right after I read about them on this forum. They had 1000 miles on them but were a very light tire to be on a trailer the size of a Monty.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #48
Kenw
Established Member

M.O.C. #19636
I read about the GY Marathons blowing but frankly haven't seen any 614's lately. From what understand they did have problems +-5-7 years ago? Has anyone seen issues recently?
Kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 AM   #49
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I talked to my commercial truck tire dealer and he informed me that the first 2 years of production had a problem with unusual wear but blowouts that were failures were unheard of and the blowouts they did have were side wall damage.

I purchased my first set from Tredit in 2009 they are still on the road. I got my second set with the 110 psi Tredit wheels.

I now have around 70,000 miles on the ones on the Montana and they look like they will go another 30,000.

These tires are also a 7 year tire the ones purchased in 2009 are still looking good and are on an equipment trailer my partner and I use to haul the large antique engines to local shows with.

Phil P
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #50
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Its crazy how far this has gone. I only wanted to know if any one has heard of Goodyear beast tires, There standard on an SOB. But thanks for ALL the input. LOL
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #51
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenw View Post
I read about the GY Marathons blowing but frankly haven't seen any 614's lately. From what understand they did have problems +-5-7 years ago? Has anyone seen issues recently?
Yes last week on the Forest River forum for 1
Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #52
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

I talked to my commercial truck tire dealer and he informed me that the first 2 years of production had a problem with unusual wear but blowouts that were failures were unheard of and the blowouts they did have were side wall damage.

I purchased my first set from Tredit in 2009 they are still on the road. I got my second set with the 110 psi Tredit wheels.

I now have around 70,000 miles on the ones on the Montana and they look like they will go another 30,000.

These tires are also a 7 year tire the ones purchased in 2009 are still looking good and are on an equipment trailer my partner and I use to haul the large antique engines to local shows with.

Phil P
Happy for you ,I`m just not willing to risk my unit on overpriced and some what inferior tires. Like we need one more thing to worry about. I hate it when you get into one of those "What was that" moments at 65 mph. Sailuns good!
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #53
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Its crazy how far this has gone. I only wanted to know if any one has heard of Goodyear beast tires, There standard on an SOB. But thanks for ALL the input. LOL
No NO, wait, come back we're not done yet!!!!!!!!
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #54
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Everyone has heard of them. In 3 -5 years we will know how good they are. BUT when Marathons came out they were good and GY turned them to junk. Not going to trust GY. The Endurance are not really a beast when beside Sailun but so far they seem very good.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #55
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Everyone has heard of them. In 3 -5 years we will know how good they are. BUT when Marathons came out they were good and GY turned them to junk. Not going to trust GY. The Endurance are not really a beast when beside Sailun but so far they seem very good.
Hi

When I first had a problem with the Marathons on our 2009 I called my commercial tire dealer about them.

He read me a letter from Goodyear that basically said they were not designed or intended to be used on trailers like ours.

When I read the letter in person it also stated that the tire was not intended to be used on tandem axel trailers.

It went on to say the following manufactures had been informed and the list included all of the trailer manufacturers including Keystone.

And Keystone kept on putting them on these trailers.

The tires had proved themselves on the lighter trailers but the heavy trailer they weren’t up to.

I pulled a lighter10 year old fifth wheel trailer 1,000 miles to a hunt camp in West Virginia with the original Marathons on it without a single problem. I was so worried about them I took all 4 of my G614s mounted on the 80 psi wheels with me.

After the hunt season was over I towed it back without incident.

I don’t recommend them and wouldn’t by them but I don’t blame Goodyear because a shoddy builder continued to use and inferior tire on their equipment after the manufacturer informed them it wasn’t suitable.

Phil P
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #56
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Hi

When I first had a problem with the Marathons on our 2009 I called my commercial tire dealer about them.

He read me a letter from Goodyear that basically said they were not designed or intended to be used on trailers like ours.

When I read the letter in person it also stated that the tire was not intended to be used on tandem axel trailers.

It went on to say the following manufactures had been informed and the list included all of the trailer manufacturers including Keystone.

And Keystone kept on putting them on these trailers.

The tires had proved themselves on the lighter trailers but the heavy trailer they weren’t up to.

I pulled a lighter 10 year old fifth wheel trailer 1,000 miles to a hunt camp in West Virginia with the original Marathons on it without a single problem. I was so worried about them I took all 4 of my G614s mounted on the 80 psi wheels with me.

After the hunt season was over I towed it back without incident.

I don’t recommend them and wouldn’t by them but I don’t blame Goodyear because a shoddy builder continued to use and inferior tire on their equipment after the manufacturer informed them it wasn’t suitable.

Phil P
Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #57
mwalton
Established Member

M.O.C. #19168
We have a 2014 3625RL, 15800 wet. It came with the Goodyear Marathon's. After a blowout with damage, we were in a pinch and put LT version Nexen's on. We ran those for 5000 plus miles then had a big bubble form on one and a second one showing evidence of one starting. A photo of the Nexen is attached, along with the new G614's.

Am out on a trip in Texas right now when this happened to the Nexen tires. Looked at the Goodyear Endurance, but am not satisfied with the feedback data yet, not enough. As such decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the GY G614. Yes, pricey, but I feel much more confident in this choice. I'll keep ya'll posted on how well these perform.

Our Montana has a little over 17000 miles now (I keep a logbook), we expect to begin using it as full timers soon, I'm confident that I've made a good choice.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4623.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4632.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1298  
MOC #19168
mwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #58
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
OK, When i started this thread i was looking for info on the beast tires. We have come to the conclusion that the marabombs are now made in china and are junk and the sailuns are a good choice. Ok I know the beast are American made so maybe there re branding the marathons to a USA made tire and trying to get back there lost customers. Now i guess with this tire (Beast) goodyear and amereican made we will have to see if there good in about 3 years, ok. There stock from the factory on an SOB that were looking at. So i can say that its a good move on there part seeing that there not a china bomb. Any comments? Lol
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #59
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
OK, When i started this thread i was looking for info on the beast tires. We have come to the conclusion that the marabombs are now made in china and are junk and the sailuns are a good choice. Ok I know the beast are American made so maybe there re branding the marathons to a USA made tire and trying to get back there lost customers. Now i guess with this tire (Beast) goodyear and amereican made we will have to see if there good in about 3 years, ok. There stock from the factory on an SOB that were looking at. So i can say that its a good move on there part seeing that there not a china bomb. Any comments? Lol
Comments~~~ so far the Endurance sounds good. At least 3-4 years to see if they hold up. I'll wait as others pay to test them for GY. As my wheels hold 110psi I'll go with the one with best reputation-- Sailun from China. The other option was paying twice as much for 2nd best. If my wheels were limited to 80# I'd do like the last time, Carlisle LR F at 90#. Worked fine for almost 30,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #60
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
True. Not knocking them but it will take 3-5 years before we know how good they are. Then remember GY Marsthon was good when it 1st came out too. I'm sticking with Sailun.
Right. My load c on the boat trailer 10 years ago were GY Marathons made in New Zealand. I let hem go about 7 years b4 a tread separation but no loss of air close to home.