Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Re-pack or replace wheel bearings?

How many times should you re-pack the wheel bearings, or how many miles or time before you should have the bearings replaced. If they are to be replaced, then what would be a good upgrade bearing, as I am sure Montana is not using a top of the line bearing? Thanks

Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Montana/Keystone doesn’t supply the bearings, but Dexter does. They are Chinese made, but a few years ago after having one fail, I replaced them all with USA made Timkens. As long as they are maintained properly, they should last the life of the trailer. If one looks bad during a repack, regardless of the brand, the bearing and race should be replaced, but only the bad one is needed. And the seals need replacement at each repack. Use the best grease available too, especially if you are doing the work, no reason to go cheap on anything.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
X2 what Bob said. Be careful assuming Timkens are all made in the USA … look on the box … I've seen some boxes with made in Romania on them. Once in a while you do hear of overseas bearing failures as in Bob's case, but there are many thousands of RV's rolling around with them OEM since we don't make much of anything except Mickey D's soy burgers in the USA now days. We've touched on this before in past discussions, but don't get anal on repack … if you only pull 3000-4000 miles a year, go every other year or so … be realistic. Generally speaking, trailer bearings will last your lifetime of ownership just like the ones on your cars and trucks.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Generally bearing failure is caused because they are dry ( not properly greased) or because the adjustment is too tight or too loose. As stated, if properly maintained, no need to replace. They can be inspected during repack. We only put an average of 5k a year on the rig because we snowbird for six months in Florida. I inspect and repack once every two years, and that is overkill for that mileage.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We now have 105,000 miles on the Montana and 215,000 on the TV.

I have not replaced a wheel bearing on the Montana and have never removed them to repack just used the E-Z Lube system. I have removed the outer bearings when I installed new brake shoes.

I do check the temperature of all wheel bearings in the first 20 miles of a trip and then at every stop we make. The day I have a hot hub I will replace the bearings.

I had to replace both front wheel bearings on the TV at 200,000 miles and they are not accessible for service they are replaced as an assembly that includes the wheel hub.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I read this 3 times before I read hot hub instead of hot tub
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have a wheel bearing disintegrate on the Montana on our way back from Florida in April. It ruined everything it there and only the actions of a trucker who saw smoke and got us pulled over prevented the wheel from coming off the axle.

That was the first time that has happened to us in over 25 years 6 rv,s and many ,many miles. There was plenty of grease left and it was the OEM bearing. We did note the replacement bearings were timkin. We had all the wheels removed a checked when we returned home and all was well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Retire 2022
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20065
Phil P...How often, miles or time, do you add grease using the quick lube system? What grease do you use? I look forward to your reply. We full time but home base during the school year. We're teachers and only take short trips during the school year. Summer time we travel more. Thank you in advance fro your reply. Also, what is the heat range for your wheels when you temperature check them at each stop?
Retire 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
old school bearrings should be cheked every year. add grease as needed.
the new sealed can be dry from the factory in china, they tend to only use assamble lube. so if you replace with sealed. pop them open and add grease before installing them.
as to just replacing them? miles, heat, ( air temp and brake temps) how you manouver the coach?
and yes they can get flat spots while your coach is just sitting around. ( peps that just park never move around).
all ad up to the answer.
i spend more on mantance then some do on repairs. but then i know i can just jump in and go with no worries. ( not just the rv).
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Packnrat hit on the head.

I have been in the fleet business for many many years. The wheel bearings on vehicles that sit for 50 weeks a year and operate 2 weeks are very prone to wheel bearing failure. They do fail even when full of grease. I recommend the yearly inspection of the bearings and repack before the yearly trip.

For those of you with new Montana’s have the wheel bearings packed before you take possession of the unit. The manufacturer of the axels doesn’t lubricate the bearings sufficiently for extended operation.

As for the sealed bearing or Bearing packs like on the front wheels of the late model light duty trucks (1500 to 3500 GM, Ram and 150 to 350 Ford) there is no way to lubricate them.

I claim my success because we use our Montana several hundred miles a month and sometime several thousand miles a month.

I use the Lucas Red and Tacky Grease and service only once a year regardless of miles.

You must be careful about changing grease products they are not all compatible with each other. Incompatible grease can cause a hardening of the grease and loss of lubrication.

Phil P

PS:

I do proof read my post but the mind / eyes will play tricks on you when you anticipate what you see. Try shaking you head no when saying yes to someone who is anticipating the yes answer and watch the reaction.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Dexter's bearing publication is buired on their website somewhere. That pub calls for pulling and inspecting wheel bearings every 12 months or 12,000 miles. The 12 months is a CYA though that kind of service dates back to when cars required regular wheel bearing maintenance.

As far as using the E-Z Lube system - some have good luck though way too many stories of seal failure and brake lining contamination to suit me so I do the 12mo/12,000 mile physical disassembly, clean, pack and install new seals.

OEM/Dexter Chinese made bearing failures - at ~4K miles I had one inner that was chipped and all 4 outers that were showing signs of over heating by turning blue and a couple with large scratches as well even with enough grease.

No, they will not flat spot if sitting for months or even years.

As far as capsule bearings - Dexter tried that route too with their Nevr-Lube system. It was a corporate disaster, especially with the 42mm size (6K axles) while the 50mm (7-8K axles) size wasn't quite as bad.

Like I said - some are satisfied with the E-Z Lube system and the OEM bearings, other were not so lucky or happy
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I read this 3 times before I read hot hub instead of hot tub

Ann
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

As far as using the E-Z Lube system - some have good luck though way too many stories of seal failure and brake lining contamination to suit me so I do the 12mo/12,000 mile physical disassembly, clean, pack and install new seals.

OEM/Dexter Chinese made bearing failures - at ~4K miles I had one inner that was chipped and all 4 outers that were showing signs of over heating by turning blue and a couple with large scratches as well even with enough grease.

No, they will not flat spot if sitting for months or even years.

As far as capsule bearings - Dexter tried that route too with their Nevr-Lube system. It was a corporate disaster, especially with the 42mm size (6K axles) while the 50mm (7-8K axles) size wasn't quite as bad.

Like I said - some are satisfied with the E-Z Lube system and the OEM bearings, other were not so lucky or happy

Hi

Seal failures are the result of improper use of the E-Z Lube system or improper installation of the seal at the manufacturer.

The reason for my recommendation to have the selling dealer remove all wheels and clean, inspect and repack the bearings. Dexter only puts assembly Lub and the trip from the Montana factory to the dealer could turn the bearings blue.

I have disassembled many and I mean many axles after they had been left sitting with a load on them for a long period of time to find the race rigged from sitting. They will develop ridges from sitting that will cause a failure and this is a very real problem.

I had observed the bearing pack failure on a Dexter axle in Lincoln Nebraska. When the service guy came and changed it our I took a good look at the failed bearing pack. Dexter needs to fire an engineer. The front axle in the light duty ½ ton trucks is twice the sizes of the bearing pack Dexter used and is rated at the same load. The ½ ton pickup trucks commonly get 100,000 plus miles on their bearing packs.

Phil P
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Phil P - Let's just say that you and I should agree to not discuss bearings or seals, whether on a trailer axle or anything else
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

60 years of experience just reporting what I have seen.

Phil P
Old 07-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Ah com'n guys I'll get the popcorn. I have to admit there have been some topics where I say just step away from the keyboard.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Ah com'n guys I'll get the popcorn. I have to admit there have been some topics where I say just step away from the keyboard.

Agree and why I decided not to pursue it further. What works for Phil may (will?) not work for others and how I wrote my responses
Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The bottom line is:

Vehicles that sit most of the year then used extensively for a short period of time need service on the wheel bearing as well as some other items.

Vehicles that are used often don’t require the same service interval some cases longer some case shorter.

As for the E-Z Lub hubs the people that I teach how to use them don’t have problems with them. Used improperly the outer bearing doesn’t get lubrication and done in a hurry will result in seal leaks.

I have removed the wheel hubs on 2 new trailers to repack the bearings and found that Dexter doesn’t lubricate the bearings properly at assembly. For this reason they need lubricating when the trailer first goes in to service regardless of how the service is performed.

As for the damage while sitting I have only seen in varying stages of damage on RV units including class A and boat trailers. Without exception the wheel bearing grease was either hardened or liquefied. I don’t know if the damage is caused from weight on the bearing or something else like electrolysis. Some of them only had dark colored lines on the outer race only and not all the way around and when I cut the cage off the bearing there was no visible damage to the inner race. Other times they are quit deep but still a dark color. I have a little flat bed trailer that was original a boat trailer it sits unloaded for very long periods of time and I do service the wheel bearings at large intervals. I have not observed any type of damage to these bearings.

The object of this long paragraph is to establish that I don’t know why but do know this happens when the RV unit is left sitting in one spot for extended periods of time.

I don’t have an opinion about the Chinese bearings verses bearings made elsewhere I just haven’t observed unexplained failures in excess on either.

I am still at 75 years of age part time supervising fleets of vehicles some highway use and some never see a paved road. On one fleet I have cut their maintenance cost by 80%. When I went back to work part time doing this I lost 50 Lbs of weight in 3 years without changing my diet. LOL

Phil P
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #19
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
So EZ Lube and repacking bearings are a weight loss program
Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #20
Dave W