Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
We also have the Access Cover with a full toolbox. I painted a white line with black side stripes on top of tool box to help guide me during hitching.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

Rich: I don't know if the new latches are available as a retrofit or not -- Give Brian Steffens at Fold-A-Cover a call at 616-656-6886 x 233 or email him at BSteffens@steffensent.com . He was super when working with me and my local Dodge dealer (unfortunately Dodge hasn't blessed the new upgraded edition so I only have the Fold-A-Cover warranty now vs. the Dodge 3/36 but oh well, it works better ). If you call and he is not there, hit whatever number it is to get to the other gentleman that works there -- also super -- I just don't have an email handy with his name or number.

Judy: I looked at various covers -- never really considered a 'fabric cover' because I'm basically lazy at my ole age and I didn't want to deal with rolling the thing up; as mentioned I looked at several of the rolling type covers. However, I have this dream of buying an auxiliary in-bed fueld tank (TransferFlow or some like brand), and since since the rolling covers all rolled into a canister at the front of truck bed (sitting down into the bed somewhat) I discounted them. That left Fold-A-Cover as the only one left that I could find.

I've had Fold-A-Cover covers on 3 different vehicles makes /sizes (Ford F150, Ford F250 and then my F350, and now my Dodges) and have had no problems until this wind-storm incident. You do need to ensure that the front latches hold -- if air gets under the top, it will lift the thing; Had that happen several times with the older type (like what Rich is having problems right now with); since I've gotten the new model, absolutely no problems and I've been in some winds since then.
Looks like we have to decide what's most important to us. We would like to have a cover that can be retracted enough for the 5th wheel to function, but still cover the rest of the bed.... from what I can tell, the jackrabbit covers are the only ones that have this option. On the other hand, my husband's not thrilled about losing some space where the cover is stored so guess we'll have to decide which is more important.
The jackrabbit's pretty pricey too so that may swing the decision to one of the others.
BTW, I also contacted Brian Steffens regarding dealers in our area. He responded very quickly with not only dealers, but a PDF file on installing should my husband decide to do it himself. I was impressed
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have the Truxcedo bed cover and it works great. When it is rolled up it does not limit my vision of the hitch. When rolled out it covers the hitch and protects it from the weather. All I have had to do in the 4 years I have had it is to replace the velcro side striping.
I second the Truxedo cover. I have had one on the past three trucks and it works great and rolls up easily allowing full view o the hitch. I choose Truxedo over some of the other brands because I was able to get one the color of my truck.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #24
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I have the Advance Truck Bed Cover. They look and work like the competition's Fold-a-Cover. They are available on the web, and the website has a dealer locator link: http://www.advancecover.com/

I love mine. I originally bought it in 2003 for our 1999 PDS. I installed it myself, and then transferred it over to our 2005 PSD.

I've had no problems with it. It allows me to lock and secure stuff in the truck bed when we are not pulling the 5W. And when I'm still hooked up, but at a campground, I pull it back so two panels cover a goodly portion of the bed. It keeps most stuff dry when closed (water-resistant). I'm sure if I did a little adjusting it could be actually waterproof.

With these covers, they do make it a little more difficult to see the hitch when backing up to hookup. But I just taped a white tie-wrap forward of the hitch pin, and that solved the visibility problem.

Overall, I wouldn't do without one of these covers!!!!! Excellent.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have TruXedo's new "Duece" cover which rolls up from the rear or opens in the front. This is the best of both worlds IMHO. And I can roll it up just past the hitch when towing so everything forward of the hitch is protected from the weather.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote