Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Water Pump filter Screen

No emoticons for this one, just some pure knowledge. De-winterizing the 3295, 2006 model. Water pump is trying to prime, but will not pull water at an acceptable rate from the fresh tank. Checked all faucets, all are off except for the one I am trying to bleed.
This evening, pulled the cover off of the water management center in the bay. Flex hose and all other hosing looks normal, no breaks from winter and no stopped up lines (has been in the 70's here for two weeks, with no low below 50 at night.)
During my inspection to find the check valves, noticed that the feed line from the belly tank (flex line, not the pex) is trying to close up, as the pump draws a vacuum on the line but there is a stoppage. Pulled the line to the tank loose, and pushed air through it (blew on it) in attempt to clear the line and could hear air bubbling in the tank. However, the amount of pressure needed to clear the line left my cheeks red and near passing out.
Previous popup and travel trailer, the filter screen for the pump was where you could get to them. I tracked this one all the way past the furnace, where it disappeared. Wondering if the filter screen is in the belly?
By the way, did not find the first check valve on the system, unless it is hidden in the angle tee that comes off of the pump. Pump is pulling very little water, and still has air in the line.
If you can help, might save me a dealer visit. It is under warranty either way.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I will be watching this topic also. I am having problems pulling from my tank, especially when below 1/3. Might be a filter issue...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
If you haven't done so yet, try priming the system with "City" water, then try the water pump. Just a suggestion.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
that is something I haven't tried yet, but was on my mind to do. It's just odd that the line from the tank is drawing closed when suction is applied, as if it is stopped up.

Will report back.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I plugged into city water and flushed all of the lines. Unplugged city water, and the water pump ran with no problem. Additionally, while plugged into city water, and turned the switch from normal to fill, and let it run for a few minutes to ensure it was filling the tank. All seems to be working properly now. Must have been the elusive check valve, though I could not spot where it was at.
Now wish I had a better pump. Alright for washing hands, dog and flushing toilets, wouldn't want to get caught having to take a shower with it.
Future project.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I suggest that you seriously look at the SMART SENSOR pump by SUR-FLO. I have the 5.7 one. Would not anything but. little pricey but worth every penny.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hazmic, That is the one I want. Should be a night and day difference.

BTW, when I turn on my city water with my pump switch on, it automatically turns on the pump. I believe this is a stuck valve that the service center in Goshen banged on and "freed up" last fall. New pump solves a lot of problems...
Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Did you get yours working Dave, or did you buy another pump?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am waiting for my dealership appointment on April 25th. It will work - OK for a road trip - but it's not right. I may have it replaced. Depends on what my dealer thinks. I have a great dealer - Bill Tea at Town and Country in Clyde, OH (same one as Richfaa). I totally trust his decision on these type of situations.

I will not have the money to replace the pump by that time, but I do want to get that 5.7. I will probably just get this one running until then. By the end of May, I can buy the new pump.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I'm glad you got the pump working but if the water stream is not good enough to take a shower you may still have a restriction or some other problem in the line.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I still think I have a restriction in the pickup line, just too darn harn to get to it with all the underbelly covered up. Should be glad that it is covered, as the cougar TT we had before this unit had nothing, and I could tell the difference.
Spent the last week conducting count and inspection in Tullahoma TN for the USPS. Haven't got a chance to get back out into the unit, except for turning the heat on for hopefully the last time for the season to keep the pipes from freezing up last night. Hope all fare well in this Nor'easter.
I have always been suspicious of the GPM for this pump from the factory, a 2.9 unit. With the volume of water and the length of the pipes throughout the unit, at least a 5.0 or better would have been the best choice for satisfaction.
Always a project coming up.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Jim, check the "Winterization Valve". If it is not completely closed the pump will draw air. Had this problem with our 2003 Montana. Plan to never need to winterize the 2007. Good luck with your problem.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote