Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
What the wind can do!!!

This is a good reminder of what the wind can do. When watching it appears to me that the dually may have helped prevent the truck from turning over.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats interresting the truck was still in the upright position and still hooked up deffinatly a good set up and didnt seperate from each other. thanks for the Video
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
That's it! I'm selling the fiver
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

That's it! I'm selling the fiver

I know your probably joking but I wonder what the outcome would have been in a 5er?
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We're wondering what the speed of the wind was . . .
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks that give us something to think about! You can see the back of the TT back end moving then the TT wheels cut in and helps flip the camper over WoW! It didn't look like the TT was moving any faster than 35MPH?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The safety chains were strong enough to do their job. I do wonder why he kept going when the wind was blowing him around. We could see the curb side of the trailer several times. That should have been a warning to the driver. I see that the ball hitch didn't stay put.

Thanks for posting that.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
That is scary stuff ! Good thing nobody was coming at them at the time.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
At the end of the video, it sure looks like the rear wheels are completely off the ground. That seems to be light showing through under the tires.

One wonders where the equalizer bars are along with the anti-sway device? My in-laws flipped a TT due to a cross wind and they had an equalizer plus an anti-sway device. The TT stayed attached and took the truck over with it. Perhaps this guy was lucky to not have all the proper equipment?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
If you read the comments below the video the owner posted what happened. The trailer was a brand new 42 foot Park model which was totally empty when he got caught in the wind storm. He was travelling 40 mph with 60 mph wind gusts... Both combined would be a 100 mph wind... Small wonder it went over. He said he wanted to pull over but the next exit was 10 miles away.

The good news is that everyone is ok.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
08UltraRider,
I did read the comments. But like Carl said.... Where were the equalizers and anti sway bars?

Regarding the wind.... If it was a tail wind then he was being pushed by a 60 mph assist and should be relatively stable. If he had a head wind then he would be applying a lot of force to keep the rig going forward and still should be relatively stable.

He most likely was getting hit by a substantial side wind. The side wind could make the vehicle extremely unstable. Made more so by the lack of stabilizing bars. His speed of about 35 t0 40 mph seems somewhat reasonable. But his comment about getting off at next exit indicates he was aware of his condition.

As you said the most important issue is the fact that no one got injured.

P.S. I reviewed the video and it was clearly a strong wind gust from his right side. As the tail end of the trailer hits the ground it stirs up the dirt and you can clearly see the direction.

Travel safely.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Was this guy an rv transporter? From my experience as a rv transporter you could not hook up sway bars because the trailer would not have the mount brackets. That said in your transporter packet their are rules to be followed as to checking wind conditions for the days you are transporting.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We got caught in a high wind situation 2 years ago while coming across Texas on I-10. This one was a head wind that was strong enough that we didn't wait for an exit. When the 1st trucker pulled over to the side of the interstate we tucked right in behind him. We sat for a while until the wind died down enough to ease on into Van Horn and camped there for 2 nights until we were comfortable with coming on toward New Mexico.

Even while camped, the wind moved our Monty back and forth. Not fun!
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
At one time I thought a dually might keep the truck from going over but after Capt Kidd had his Montana lay on its side and his single rear wheel truck did not go over (this was last March or April), now I'm not so sure. There's probably still a point at which the SRW would go over and the DRW would not, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I agree HamRad but I wonder even with the anti sway bars if that would have prevented it from going over. 42 feet of Park model trailer that's empty makes a good sail.

Drive safe.... and stay warm this winter.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

08UltraRider,
I did read the comments. But like Carl said.... Where were the equalizers and anti sway bars?

Regarding the wind.... If it was a tail wind then he was being pushed by a 60 mph assist and should be relatively stable. If he had a head wind then he would be applying a lot of force to keep the rig going forward and still should be relatively stable.

He most likely was getting hit by a substantial side wind. The side wind could make the vehicle extremely unstable. Made more so by the lack of stabilizing bars. His speed of about 35 t0 40 mph seems somewhat reasonable. But his comment about getting off at next exit indicates he was aware of his condition.

As you said the most important issue is the fact that no one got injured.

P.S. I reviewed the video and it was clearly a strong wind gust from his right side. As the tail end of the trailer hits the ground it stirs up the dirt and you can clearly see the direction.

Travel safely.
HamRad
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
08UltraRider,
It is hard to say since we weren't there whether or not any anti sway device would have helped. We live near Southern CA and often see 18 wheelers blown over on the side of the road. I suspect the only thing that might have prevented the blow over would have been for the guy to pull over and stop. I know he said he was going to get off at the next exit. Wonder if the shoulder was not good enough to simply pull over and stop?

We have made the decision to not travel when the wind is severe.

Travel Safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I agree 100%. I used to live in windy Southern Alberta and have seen a few blown into the ditch albeit not as many as you likely have. I used to drive 18 wheelers some years ago where I had a few scares with the cross winds there but never blown over. Slowing down worked!

Take care.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

08UltraRider,
It is hard to say since we weren't there whether or not any anti sway device would have helped. We live near Southern CA and often see 18 wheelers blown over on the side of the road. I suspect the only thing that might have prevented the blow over would have been for the guy to pull over and stop. I know he said he was going to get off at the next exit. Wonder if the shoulder was not good enough to simply pull over and stop?

We have made the decision to not travel when the wind is severe.

Travel Safely,
HamRad