Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Suggestion for diesel trucks with turbos

Was at a red light behind a semi with our Montana. Light turned green and semi was slow so I pressed on the petal to pass and heard a loud bang and thought I had a blow out. The bang was when the rubber type material exploded off the turbo. Had it towed to the closest GM dealership. They couldn't just order the blue rubber stuff and a new clamp. They had to order a whole assembly which was a new clamp, rubber boot that was attached to the metal pipe that went down to the rad. So, $650.00 later I was able to drive away. This happened 25 days after my warranty expired. I complained to my GM dealer and GM agreed to give me $200.00 and the dealership is including a free oil change. I will be writing a letter to GM and asking for more money. I plan on telling them the truck is suppose to be heavy duty and all components in the engine compartment should be able to handle the power the engine puts out. Check your clamps that hold the rubber type material on to the turbo.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we have the complete system checked every year clamps , hose, etc
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Yes we have the complete system checked every year clamps , hose, etc
In addition to the yearly checks and replacing all clamps with heavier duty clamps we run by our after market guage monitoring Pre turbo EGT among other things. We keep or EGT temps under 1200 degrees which of course keeps our boost down. Our gauge will alarm at 1200 degrees which usually occurs on steep hills. Yes we slow down and let all the other trucks pass us but we are protecting our turbo. By slowing down I mean we may be doing 45 or 50 on the steep grades while others are doing 65/70 or more to show they can do it. We can do it but what is the hurry and we do not like loud explosions under the hood along with the time down and the expense.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is the very reason I always carry a set of hoses and clamps. I would suggest you get a good set of aftermarket hoses and clamps. They are much better than the factory ones. All the hoses that I can have been double clamped. That is a little more insurance.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My third diesel, never heard of this before.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I heard of it on my second one. I was going up a steep long hill and bang. It's as loud as shotgun under the hood. You couldn't see the camper for the smoke. My brother and I didn't know what to think. We got it fixed temporarily with radiator hose clamps. We went on to a Bench Rest match in Ohio and made it back home.
Lynwood
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I heard of it on my second one. I was going up a steep long hill and bang. It's as loud as shotgun under the hood. You couldn't see the camper for the smoke. My brother and I didn't know what to think. We got it fixed temporarily with radiator hose clamps. We went on to a Bench Rest match in Ohio and made it back home.
Lynwood
X2 going up interstate 5 climbing Mt. Shasta and BOOM, you can still drive, you just can't let the turbo come on. We had to drive another 178 miles to Bend Oregon thats where the ford dealer had a night crew. We called and arrived at 10:30 P.M on a Friday night. It was the longest 178 miles I ever drove. But they had the blue hose for my 7.3. I didn't have to buy the pipe. These guys were so good, they knew I had a 5th wheel behind me, so they had a set up in the parking lot with a tool cart and lights waiting for us.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Never happened to me and I run pretty big boost numbers for the old 7.3 but I have read in the diesel forums that this is quite common. I agree with Lynwood that the aftermarket products are probably a higher grade. Do a web search on this subject and I am sure you will get lots of information. Bad news is almost complete loss of power especially when towing. when you loose the boost.

Tom Marty
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
OEM plastic. Heat deteriorates. Several vendors sell metal replacements. Several posts on the forum reference this issue,
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yeah it is rare but it does happen, I check my turbo/intercooler hoses once a year just in case but like was said before there are aftermarket hoses like Mishimoto that are of higher quality but myself I think it is a low priority on my upgrade list
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
That would be scary!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
What Diesel Engine?

Does this happen on specific engines or are all of them with turbos susceptable? I have a Cummins 6.7l
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonacouple View Post
Does this happen on specific engines or are all of them with turbos susceptable? I have a Cummins 6.7l
This can happen to any turbo engine. If it's building pressure in the turbo hoses and the intercooler there is a chance you loose a hose or a clamp. The 6.4 Ford is probably the worst simply because it builds more pressure. I don't know how much pressure a 6.7 Cummings builds. Im general the more power an engine puts our the higher turbo pressure hast to be to get all that power. There are other factors to like how efficient are the heads. When air can move through a head easily it requires less pressure to make the desired power.
Lynwood
Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Thanks. And I actually understood your explanation. Kudos for information.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
it was loud

Happened to me twice, both times going up a mountain at max boost and very hot engine compartment. . Yes it sounds like a shotgun and sudden lose of power. Finally bought aftermarket parts instead of expensive dealer parts. Been up the same mountain a couple of times now since,so far so good.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My 2.7 Ecoboost will up to the low 20 pounds of boost a 7.3 10, 12 pounds a Dmax low 20s a stock 6.4 Ford 38 pounds. My 6.4 not stock will run in the 40 pounds of boost.
Lynwood
Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Happened to me in my 2002 F250 with the 7.3. Had two stronger clamps put on and it never happened again. I am now driving with a 2015 F250 with the 6.7 and have replaced the tubes with a after market kit from AFE and doing great.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I thought this was just too crazy to be true that the silicone rubber connector hoses were not available separately, but Just confirmed as much when I looked them up in the online GM parts catalog. That seems just plain crazy. What hair brained engineer thinks a length of stainless tubing will need to be replaced for reasons other than a crash? Having a spare connector or two sounds like a better idea than a $650 repair bill!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Part of the problem is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system sucks oil into the turbo and into the entire intake tract after the turbo. You will see traces of black oil where the rubber boot meets the aluminum pipe to the intercooler. This oil eventually allows the boot to blow off. Hasn't happened to me in 120,000 miles, knock wood. GM finally fixed this on the 2017s with an efficient air-oil separator on the pcv system.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I ran in to the following miss conception in the auto parts house a few days ago.

The ford, GM, Toyota and Dodge trucks we are using to pull our 5th wheel trailers with are all “light duty” trucks. I know the manufacturer calls them a HD truck but that only means the heavy duty line of light duty trucks. The Medium Duty truck normally starts with trucks rated higher than 1 ton. My 2.5 ton trucks (called medium duty) are of a more substantial design.

As for the connection on the supercharger intercooler lines they have been a problem sense the introduction of this type of application on engines including aircraft engines. The reason for an “assembly” that includes a pipe that commonly with normal maintenance never fails but is subject to damage when a mechanic over tightens the hose clamp. The new assembly comes with a clamp that has a spring under the nut that the mechanic tightens to the thread limits and this prevents the damage to the aluminum pipe that happens when just the hose and clamps are replaced.

The hose and clamps are available by the aftermarket part suppliers but then a new problem appears when the hose seems to blow off the pipe for no apparent reason.

My 2009 with 185,000 has the new type of clamp on it and the pipe has been removed now 2 times for maintenance and we haven’t experienced problems yet.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote