Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A close call

We had one close call on our way home from our recent trip to North Carolina. Just after we crossed the river from Mississippi into Arkansas in the town of Lake Village, AR, we stopped for fuel. Soon after I became aware of a rhythmic sound that was growing louder. We were on a two lane road (US 82) and there was a lot of truck traffic, so I had to look for a place to pull over. Must have gone between 5 and 10 miles before I found a little dirt road which allowed me to pull over. Cut to the chase: I found a piece of flat steel about 3 inches by 6 inches buried into my left rear tire on the pickup--long-wise and slanting forward so that the 6 inches were being driven ever deeper into the rubber tread. With pliers and screwdriver I pried and pulled the metal plate out. It had gone all the way to the steel cords. They were all between us and disaster.

But... our tire was fully inflated, and I decided to drive on to see how it would hold up. Would you believe, we came all the way home and I even drove around a good bit before taking it into my friendly local tire dealer to buy a replacement. He was amazed. You could see and feel the cords by just pulling up on the rubber flap left by the slicing steel.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm so glad that worked out, good job of keeping alert to the sounds of your rig.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Ozz. The sound was very faint at first. We had a pretty strong cross wind and I thought at first that might be the source of the sound. By the time I was able to stop I really feared that it was one of the trailer tires and expected damage to the trailer. In fact, I walked all around the trailer and was surprised to find that all tires were OK. Then I asked Shirley to watch my driver's side rear tire on the pickup as I drove slowly forward (I knew the sound was coming from that side). Her loud shout told me that we had found the trouble.

The 18 wheelers were blowing by, so I was able to back down into that little dirt road to get off the side of the highway. That is when I did the surgery, somewhat like pulling a tooth.

After I removed the offending metal, I thought about it and then did the stupid thing: I hurled it into the field. Now I wish I'd brought the evidence home, but at the time I wanted to get rid of it.

We drove the remaining 235 miles to our home on that wounded tire. We consider ourselves very fortunate, indeed.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's all of our fears to have tire trouble, or a breakdown on a 'skinny' road.
After my ordeal in Branson, I replenished my road flares with 10 of the long trucker flares, with a spike in the bottom.
I made a tool out of an old blower shaft, I drilled one end, cut a concrete nail and welded the nail to the shaft. This way I can pre-punch a nail sized hole in the asphalt crack, at the side of the road and place the long flare in to so it stands upright. I had shorter chemical flares then, they were extinguished by the heavy rain=laying down.
I also have the reflective trucker triangles. I recommend this to everyone.
Don't those 18 wheelers scare you? They rock the Monte...They are just inches from hitting us at the side of the road.
Enjoy the trip overseas with Shirley
Ozz
Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Ozz. I remember your ordeal in Branson. I felt the danger you were in as I read your post at the time. Now I must remember to get some flares such as you describe. I remember cringing as I read of how the rain kept putting your old flares out. I did have some of the reflective triangles, but fortunately I was able to back down that little dirt road so did not have to try them out.

Yes, those big trucks are scary. That is why I had to keep driving as long as I did. If I could have stopped sooner maybe the damage to the tire would not have been so bad. But stopping was not an option until I found at least a little space to get out of that one right hand lane.

Shirley and I are excited about our trip. We leave from Dallas on Thursday. We value the good wishes of our friends on the forum, especially those whom we have met--as we did the two of you as table mates in McAllen back in February.

And here's hoping that those flares just wear out, because you never have to use them!
Old 06-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That's one of my greatest fears traveling...like Ozz said - good thing you noticed...that could have been a bad one.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tire failures scare the heck out of me hence the Doran monitor system for added protection. We also check the tires and shoot the temps at each stop although the dorian system is a help as it reads out the increase in temps as a result of speed and road temp, a unusual increase in temp may indicate a lowering pressure even before the system alarms. For some reason the 18 wheelers blowing by does not bother us and has a minimal effect on the camper..Could it be because of the Mor Ryde suspension and the Mor Ryde pin box????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Speaking to the 18 wheelers, I was referring to being parked, or broke down at the side of the road. They don't bother me while traveling.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I appreciate, and agree with, what Ozz has just said about 18 wheelers on the road. Since most of them are going faster than we usually drive, I try to signal [by blinking headlights] when it is clear for them to get back over into the right hand lane. A very large percentage of them "thank me" by giving an extra blink with their tail lights. It's become a little game of "being nice" and it makes the road safer for everyone.

[by game, I only mean that it's something we notice and enjoy--not to belittle a serious matter.]
Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh yea..Stopping along the road is a scary thing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
David and SHirley
Have a great trip, come back with plenty of memories and I will see you in RGV later. Safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote