Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Montana_1450
Established Member

M.O.C. #1450
Roof Air Bubble

Does anyone know where the air comes from that can cause the front of the rubber roof to balloon when you go down the road? In addition to our own Montana, I have occasionally seen 5-ers come down the road with a huge bubble on top (two of them Montanas, so far. Hubby climbed on the roof and when he checked the moulding that is supposed to seal the front cap, he found several screws that had their heads broken off. He put new screws in all the way across and fresh sealant, but it still bubbles up slightly when we go down the road. Has anybody had this problem (and known about it?)

Montana_1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
ulrike

You need to find out if your rig is still under warranty, Your rubber roof is comming unglued. There have been several discussions on the rubber roof's. Look them up and read them over. You should get this taken care of immediately. I should have mentioned, contact your dealer first, they might take care of this. Let us know what they tell you maybe we can help you further.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I agree with Bill.The glue that holds down your rubber has stoped doing its job.I would give your dealer and Keystone a call and see if they will repair this.The correct way to repair is peal back the rubber,sand the wood down and reapply the glue.Depending on how big the bubble is that your talking about it will only get worse over time if not repaired.I had some major bubbles on my roof and keystone decided the best way to fit was to replace the entire rubber roof.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We have found a few small bubbles (maybe 6" in diameter) on our roof. Almost all are along the ridge where the roof starts to go "up" near the middle of the rig. In other posts, some have said that this really isn't an issue. Others have shown some concern. Any thoughts from anyone out there with similar issues?
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I had bubbles around the kitchen roof vent. The dealer repaired it and stated there should be no bubbles showing on the rubber roof, if so bring it back for repair. So far none since they repaired it. I would contact your dealer for starters, then Keystone. If the roof is not repaired correctly you will be replacing it on your dime. My neighbor just replaced his and it is not cheap.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Pete Alford,

I was told a few little bubbles are common and nothing to worry about, This was from Keystone.
I would watch them closely though, I know this is kind of dumb or at least hard to do but see if you can get someone to look at your roof to see if is moving much while your going down the road.
Anyway I would keep an eye on it.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a Jayco Eagle that had a few small bubble in it. Most were dime and quarter sized. Our dealer said no problem with these and they never got larger. We had a couple that were dinner plate size, also. He used a needle/syringe to shoot some glue in the bubble and worked the air out while pressing the roof onto the backing material. That fixed that problem, too.

If you have large areas be sure either your dealer or you call Keystone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #8
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
The air that "lifts" the roof to bubble is not from the inside, its from the outside. It works exactly the same way as an airplane wing. The air travelling up and over the unit causes the phenomenon of "lift", so if the mastic that holds the membrane down is a bit loose, the membrane will "lift" off the deck.

So much for the physics lesson. I agree with the comments you have seen above. We also had our roof replaced under warranty after the front 12 or 15 feet shredded.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:26 AM   #9
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Update from Keystone: Spoke with a tech rep there this morning. Keystone expects there to be roof bubbling along or near expansion joints (and all of my bubbles, many as there are, do appear to be exactly in these areas). He did confirm that if any get too large (over 2'x2', give or take), they prefer to have the owner take the rig to a dealer and have the dealer send digital pics back to Keystone.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote